British and Irish Lions Tour - 2013

Not much guile in the centres either, a few big boshers....i would have preferred young Billy Twelvetrees to Tuilangi...least he can pass....

Benarbia_is_god said:
Wales have been the best team in the Northern hemisphere for a good few years now, it could be argued that more Welsh players should have been included. Think Ken Owens at hooker deserved a shot and where was Best?

Chuffed for Lydiate (Distant relation) but should he have gone after missing most of the season, looked very sluggish since his return. Finally, two tens is vulnerable but Wales are touring Japan this summer so Hook and Biggar won't be far away.

Your location says it all. God help the rest of the NH if Wales have been the best.

You had a shocker last autumn.

A Number of surprises for me - a significant proportion of England players from the front row which is where England conceded a number of penalties in the 6N.

That could in part be due to the antics of Steve Walsh.

In my opinion:

Out - Stevens, Vunipola, Hartley, BOD
In - Best, Grant, Twelvetrees, Wilkinson<br /><br />-- Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:28 pm --<br /><br />
manctheknife said:
Not much guile in the centres either, a few big boshers....i would have preferred young Billy Twelvetrees to Tuilangi...least he can pass....

Well If BOD isn't captain why is he going?
Tuilagi would have been removed as well if BOD wasn't in.

bluemoon32 said:
without a dream said:
Heavy Welsh bias as expected, they're a tight head prop short and only two 10s seems an odd decision, other than that decent squad.

I'd be interested to know the logic behind picking a past it Jenkins from Toulon but not an in form Wilkinson from Toulon...

The Lions will want to run the ball & Wilkinson has never been able to get a back-line going.

-- Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:29 pm --

big gaz said:
Think we look weak at 10 especially if one of then picks up a knock. Non of the other backs in my opinion can play there.

Yep, weakest part of the squad but there just aren't any decent 10's around.......please don't say Wilkinson.

I don't agree with this. Jonny has always been more than just a kicker.

BOD deserves his Lions squad selection no doubting that. He has been far 1 of the greatest centre's within World Rugby for the last 10 years. Strong in the tackle. He has the creative edge over most of the centres that is going in my opinion. Think him and Tuilagi would make up a decent centre pairing as both are strong in the tackle but with Tuilagi I would be worried about his at times rash tackling.

The thing is I understand what they are doing with getting leaders in a number of areas. BOD and O Connell mainly will take control of the pack and the backs if they play. Warburton as captain will have a easy role with these 2 in the set up if both play. Natural leaders like them are needed in any Lions set up.

TonyBook said:
bluemoon32 said:
without a dream said:
Heavy Welsh bias as expected, they're a tight head prop short and only two 10s seems an odd decision, other than that decent squad.

I'd be interested to know the logic behind picking a past it Jenkins from Toulon but not an in form Wilkinson from Toulon...

The Lions will want to run the ball & Wilkinson has never been able to get a back-line going.

-- Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:29 pm --

big gaz said:
Think we look weak at 10 especially if one of then picks up a knock. Non of the other backs in my opinion can play there.

Yep, weakest part of the squad but there just aren't any decent 10's around.......please don't say Wilkinson.

I don't agree with this. Jonny has always been more than just a kicker.

Wilkinson is a fine player but only behind a dominant pack, he stands so far back to receive the ball and that causes problems for his centre's as they always take the ball either standing still or with opposition players already on them.
We'll need a 10 on this tour who plays flatter and allows players like Roberts, BOD or Tuilagi to take the ball up at pace.
I have a huge amount of respect for Wilkinson and all that he has achieved in the game but this tour isn't for him, i hope Sexton can stay fit as Farrell isn't the answer either.

leighton said:
BOD deserves his Lions squad selection no doubting that. He has been far 1 of the greatest centre's within World Rugby for the last 10 years. Strong in the tackle. He has the creative edge over most of the centres that is going in my opinion. Think him and Tuilagi would make up a decent centre pairing as both are strong in the tackle but with Tuilagi I would be worried about his at times rash tackling.

The thing is I understand what they are doing with getting leaders in a number of areas. BOD and O Connell mainly will take control of the pack and the backs if they play. Warburton as captain will have a easy role with these 2 in the set up if both play. Natural leaders like them are needed in any Lions set up.

BOD is a charity pick if I have ever seen one. Declining faster than a jet with no fuel and half the player he was 2-3 years ago internationally. He deserves his place as a thank you but not on form and maybe pushing it with ability these days.
Its all a bit 2003 England world cup and Jason Leonard for me

leighton said:

Poor old Sam looks like he's only going for the pre game tossing off the coin ;-)

Anybody been following this?

Looking forward to the first big test next week against Australia!

Well four games in and so far so good, but the opposition has been poor. For all the BOD knockers he is at present the centre of choice imo and the scotts lad Hogg has just jumped the first picks at stand off.
Hope Gartland doesn't make the same mistake as Mcgeechan in South Africa in regards to the captain and team selection. Paul Oconnell was not the form 2nd rower going into the first test in SA and Sam this time round seems a bit behind the other wing forwards.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.