Brown stepping down - What now? [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
SWP's back said:
depps said:
Well if it helps you sleep at night....

Your original comment was about how you work so hard to make your money that you shouldn't have to pay taxes to support scroungers. I'm simply showing that that comment is bullshit, which it is. You pay to provide others who by an accident of birth aren't as lucky as you with similar opportunities to those you we're given. You also pay to maintain the society without which you would be nothing no matter how hard you work.

Not at all. I know 3 people from my school that were given the same opportunities that I was and they now sell drugs in Manchester (and Ibiza during the summer) whilst claiming benefits for having M.E (as it difficult to diagnose and also difficult to rule out).

Same chance that I had but chose a different route. I haven't grassed on them as they were friends (though not so much now) but I would understand someone else doing so.

That doesn't invalidate my point at all though. Benefit fraud is still insignificant as a proportion of your taxes.

That they chose not to take advantage of the opportunities that we're provided for them is a shame but it isn't a reason not to continue to provide others with those opportunities in the future.

Prestwich_Blue said:
mackenzie said:
And if you want to get into a debate about the Tudor reign then just ask.
You remember the Tudors? You don't look your age Sharon.

I like them. They are interesting. And yes, I don't look my age. ;-)

And it annoys me when I am called "love." Especially when I know my subject.

mackenzie said:

Wow - understatement of the year there love.

(BUt I think the dissolution of Catholicism in the country and destruction of virtually all monasteries (including Lindersfarne) was not just to do with raising a penny or two)

quote]

You really don't get sarcasm do you?

Admit you were wrong then (ie it was a good example).

ps - no matter who the monarch was, they were considered (in real terms) far wealthier than most lay people were they not? Would you not agree that Henry VIII (not 111)'s paper wealth (including his properties) far outweighed his creditors?

Also you seemed to have ignore that the majority of his debt was created during the formation the Royal Navy (that then created the wealth that OUR nation was built on).

A bloody good investment if you ask me.

The New World by Winston Churchill (1966).
The Reformation Parliament, 1529–1536 by Stanford E. Lehmberg (1970).
Henry VIII and his Court by Neville Williams (1971).

^^^^ some good reading material on him if your children's biographies get boring.<br /><br />-- Tue May 11, 2010 11:35 pm --<br /><br />
Skashion said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Mainly UK's failure to put away money for a rainy day when times were good.

That doesn't tally with the fact that of the G7 economies we were one of the ones with the least national debt prior to the recession.

Source (you wont find one as it is not true)

depps said:
SWP's back said:
Not at all. I know 3 people from my school that were given the same opportunities that I was and they now sell drugs in Manchester (and Ibiza during the summer) whilst claiming benefits for having M.E (as it difficult to diagnose and also difficult to rule out).

Same chance that I had but chose a different route. I haven't grassed on them as they were friends (though not so much now) but I would understand someone else doing so.

That doesn't invalidate my point at all though. Benefit fraud is still insignificant as a proportion of your taxes.

That they chose not to take advantage of the opportunities that we're provided for them is a shame but it isn't a reason not to continue to provide others with those opportunities in the future.

But if we do not use the anecdotal evidence that we pick up during our lives then what else do we use?<br /><br />-- Tue May 11, 2010 11:37 pm --<br /><br />
mackenzie said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
You remember the Tudors? You don't look your age Sharon.

I like them. They are interesting. And yes, I don't look my age. ;-)

And it annoys me when I am called "love." Especially when I know my subject.

Why? It is a nice Northern thing. My mum calls everyone pet. Does that make her a chauvinist?

without a dream said:
Hmmm Clegg has agreed to a cap on immigration considering how opposed he was to this in the debates that's a bit odd.

I presume its because he knows its pretty pointless and meaningless anyway. Most immigration currently comes from within the EU and the Conservatives can't cap that even if they want to.

SWP's back said:
mackenzie said:
Wow - understatement of the year there love.

(BUt I think the dissolution of Catholicism in the country and destruction of virtually all monasteries (including Lindersfarne) was not just to do with raising a penny or two)

quote]

You really don't get sarcasm do you?

Admit you were wrong then (ie it was a good example).

No. I didn't think it a good example at all. If you know your Tudor stuff then you must admit that Henry V111 was hardly the best example of how to accrue riches and save.

SWP's back said:
depps said:

But if we do not use the anecdotal evidence that we pick up during our lives then what else do we use?

Of course you can use anecdotal evidence to support a point but unfortunately 3 blokes from your school isn't strong enough evidence to abandon the concept of equality of opportunities!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.