Brown stepping down - What now? [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Brown to stand down

mark100267 said:
The Libs and Cons are politically poles apart. Any coalition is one of pure convienince and wouldn't last the year out.
Lab+ Libs don't have the seats to form a strong coalition.

We'll be back at the polls in the Autum with a new media friendly labour leader and Mandy spinning away

Meet our next Priminister

It will destroy both Labour and the Lib Dems in England at least

Ducado said:
mark100267 said:
The Libs and Cons are politically poles apart. Any coalition is one of pure convienince and wouldn't last the year out.
Lab+ Libs don't have the seats to form a strong coalition.

We'll be back at the polls in the Autum with a new media friendly labour leader and Mandy spinning away

Meet our next Priminister

For a long time. And despite me being a Conservative (well, at the moment anyway!) this would be fcuking disastrous. You need a strong opposition to have a strong government.

Cheesy said:
They want PR brought in without a referendum on it. Now, everyone was aware that the main Lib Dem policy was to bring in PR so if it really was wanted by the people of this country why didn't more people vote Lib Dem seeing as they were the only party promising this in their manifesto. Forcing it on the public would be unforgivable imo.

Aye, there must be a referendum on it in my opinion. Changing a voting system, even if it's only a relatively modest change like AV, is still a fundamental change in the way politics is done. In my eyes, it would be far bigger than devolution and certainly far far bigger than Britain's withdrawal from the EEC.

Skashion said:
Cheesy said:
They want PR brought in without a referendum on it. Now, everyone was aware that the main Lib Dem policy was to bring in PR so if it really was wanted by the people of this country why didn't more people vote Lib Dem seeing as they were the only party promising this in their manifesto. Forcing it on the public would be unforgivable imo.

Aye, there must be a referendum on it in my opinion. Changing a voting system, even if it's only a relatively modest change like AV, is still a fundamental change in the way politics is done. In my eyes, it would be far bigger than devolution and certainly far far bigger than Britain's withdrawal from the EEC.

Absolutely. Whilst FPTP is far from perfect, PR is not the cure-all that so many people seem to think it is. We should be allowed to chose which electoral system we want.

Cheesy said:
Ducado said:

For a long time. And despite me being a Conservative (well, at the moment anyway!) this would be fcuking disastrous. You need a strong opposition to have a strong government.

I definitely agree with that, imo its why labour have been a load twats as there's been no one to keep them in check in opposition.

Cheesy said:
Skashion said:
Very debatable. I don't think many Lib Dems would accept it as such.

I think it's becoming more apparent that they would :-(

Whether the Lib Dems would accept AV, and whether they would accept it as a form of PR are two separate questions. I could see them compromising on full-on PR temporarily if they can guarantee AV. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth. As much as I want electoral reform - and, make no mistake, it is the thing I most want in politics that is realisable right now, it absolutely must come as the result of a referendum.

Skashion said:
Cheesy said:

More people didn't vite LD because they considered it a wasted vote imo

Cons have just offered the LD a refferendom on AV.
Sounds like Cameron is bottling it and sees the LabLab deal as a serious option now that Brown is standing down.

Looks like Clegg isn't such a bad poker player afterall.

Not a Brown fan by any stretch but boy the Murdoch media have had the knives out for him for some time now.

charliebigspuds said:
de niro said:
what a twat,wont walk. trying to destroy the con/lib talks.

how pathetic from the worst ever prime minister britain has ever had.
FFS do you remember Thatcher????????

De niro its a good job your daughter is bang tidy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.