Bullying and the devastating consequences.

For those of us who are in the fifties or even younger I find cyber bullying hard to comprehend. I don’t understand why they can’t just switch the device off or change forums if their life has become so miserable from these sadistic twats. It’s clearly not that easy and I’m from a different generation

Basically you can’t get away from it even if you log off or come off social media completely.

You end up hearing from someone that x person was all over the group chat saying this stuff about you and x people were talking about it on Facebook etc.

Once you log off it continues without you being there and you find out at a later time from someone who was online.

Having spoken to a kid it happened to, my mates kid brother, it hurts more when you can’t even respond but if you log back in they try and tear you to pieces.

That’s why it’s inescapable really, unless you never go online and move areas so you don’t bump into people, but kids can’t make that decision.

Basically you can’t get away from it even if you log off or come off social media completely.

You end up hearing from someone that x person was all over the group chat saying this stuff about you and x people were talking about it on Facebook etc.

Once you log off it continues without you being there and you find out at a later time from someone who was online.

Having spoken to a kid it happened to, my mates kid brother, it hurts more when you can’t even respond but if you log back in they try and tear you to pieces.

That’s why it’s inescapable really, unless you never go online and move areas so you don’t bump into people, but kids can’t make that decision.
One can go online, but stay away from social media. Message boards with moderators, like this one, are fine. Also you can comment to videos on YouTube, with a username your bullies aren’t aware of. I think the main problem is Facebook.

One can go online, but stay away from social media. Message boards with moderators, like this one, are fine. Also you can comment to videos on YouTube, with a username your bullies aren’t aware of. I think the main problem is Facebook.

Yes and group chats.

I’m not big built, quite slim. And am a quiet personality, non-confrontational, quite gentle and polite in my mannerisms. Not a fighter. So, in 1977, when I began High School, I realised I had a problem. I became aware there were bullies, out to physically hurt people. And I realised they were weighing me up as a possible victim. They would keep their distance, but I could see them looking over at me and whispering to each other. I knew it would only be a matter of time before they cornered me somewhere, alone.

Because bullies are cowards, and always target the weaker individuals, the only way out of this dangerous predicament was to build myself up into a tough man, also, so they would leave me alone. My dad had some weights and a Bullworker, so I began working out regularly, and over a short time managed to pack on a bit of muscle. Also, I started to wear Doc Marten boots. And I cut my hair into a much shorter style. And learned a little Karate. This was from 11-years-old.

Basically, I transformed myself into a “hard man”. It was the only way I was going to survive five years of senior school. I had to adopt a tough guy persona, and that lasted decades. Because I took on this iron persona, it became my normal self, my everyday self, and I lost the person I really was. The real me is quick to smile and laugh, helpful and caring, kind and considerate, likes to curl up with a good book. But because my only way to survive was to become brusque and aggressive, that took over as my primary personality.

And it’s a horrible way to live, as the “Hard Man”. I’m 53 now, and only now am I shedding that heavy battered iron armour of Survival. Only now, after half a Century, is the nice gentle little boy, that I once was, coming, tentatively, back to the fore.

God-damn, I’ve lost my train of thought. I’ll just end by saying that it’s a terrible thing for a happy, innocent young child, to have to transition, suddenly, into “Knuckles Malone Prize Fighter” simply to survive school, “the best years of your life”.

I’m not big built, quite slim. And am a quiet personality, non-confrontational, quite gentle and polite in my mannerisms. Not a fighter. So, in 1977, when I began High School, I realised I had a problem. I became aware there were bullies, out to physically hurt people. And I realised they were weighing me up as a possible victim. They would keep their distance, but I could see them looking over at me and whispering to each other. I knew it would only be a matter of time before they cornered me somewhere, alone.

Because bullies are cowards, and always target the weaker individuals, the only way out of this dangerous predicament was to build myself up into a tough man, also, so they would leave me alone. My dad had some weights and a Bullworker, so I began working out regularly, and over a short time managed to pack on a bit of muscle. Also, I started to wear Doc Marten boots. And I cut my hair into a much shorter style. And learned a little Karate. This was from 11-years-old.

Basically, I transformed myself into a “hard man”. It was the only way I was going to survive five years of senior school. I had to adopt a tough guy persona, and that lasted decades. Because I took on this iron persona, it became my normal self, my everyday self, and I lost the person I really was. The real me is quick to smile and laugh, helpful and caring, kind and considerate, likes to curl up with a good book. But because my only way to survive was to become brusque and aggressive, that took over as my primary personality.

And it’s a horrible way to live, as the “Hard Man”. I’m 53 now, and only now am I shedding that heavy battered iron armour of Survival. Only now, after half a Century, is the nice gentle little boy, that I once was, coming, tentatively, back to the fore.

God-damn, I’ve lost my train of thought. I’ll just end by saying that it’s a terrible thing for a happy, innocent young child, to have to transition, suddenly, into “Knuckles Malone Prize Fighter” simply to survive school, “the best years of your life”.
You are not the Hawk from Cobra Kai are you? :-)

Can take a long time to get to know oneself but sounds like you've done it.

I wasn't quite as hard as some people are on here. I was jumped by the same 3 lads on a couple of occasions and it was only after my dad saw blood I had forgot to wash out of the sink that he forced me to tell him what had gone on. I saw the lads a few times after that in and around where I lived and they never looked me in the eye or even made a step towards me.

I guess the moral of the story is if you are being bullied, tell someone, chances are they will help.

I’ve had it at school, work and even in circles of friends where one decides they don’t want me around. People can be cunts. Sometimes I’ve retaliated and sometimes I’ve walked away.

What frightens me the most is what I can be capable of when I lose it in a fit of rage. Someone made a comment I didn’t like in a bar once and I ended up smashing a bottle in half to threaten him. A friend rugby tackled me to the floor before I was dragged outside. It took me hours to calm down about it and I shudder what I might have done had interference not happened. I just got a stunned “Why did you take that personally?” from my mate.

I put it down to the name calling, threats and violence I’ve received from haters. Defence syndrome. I’ve been an easy target for my size, being a nerd etc. I can snap easily.

Sorry, i've waited too long to use that with context....

Manchester is full of confrontational, argumentative, arrogant, snide bullies. Always has been. Look at the traditional scally culture. I knew some awful people during a spell there.

Is it only Manchester that's full of bullies?
Most of the people I know in Manchester are great people and I've lived in some of the rough areas ..
Lots of pricks and bullies in most towns and cities

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.