Bullying and the devastating consequences.

I think the difference today is that a lot, possibly most, of bullying is psychological. Back in the day, you picked out the ring leader and took them on, their supporters dissipated. With social media, it's unclear who the leader is. It gives those who won't speak up in public a voice, and sometimes, on occasion, it's pure poison. They don't know how to fight physically but they learn quickly how to manipulate others to follow their lead and to do their bidding.

I have never had a fight but was called out a number of times at school. The idea of being punched never appealed to me, but I at least had the sanctuary of home. The bullies didn't know where I lived, as did none of their entourage, and usually the issue sort of went away on its own - perhaps the antagonist had quiet time to reflect too. This sanctuary doesn't exist anymore. The victim is constantly persecuted and the bully is continually re-energised.

Reacting today with violence is something I truly advise against. Social media is the conduit by which this poison spreads, and it's turning some kids feral.
Such a good post. I had a bad experience at one of the schools I went to and the bullying was almost 100% verbal and psychological. I ended up being the aggressor and attacking the lead. It was only when he was called out by multiple sources that the school dealt with him. I guess things are much worse now with social media but I can remember how it literally takes over your life to the exclusion of everything.

Bullies are not just consigned to schools as we know

A mate of mine was battered recently by the town's bullies for simply letting on to one of them outside a pub. Stamping on his head etc

5 set on him. No one else around to help him.

Now, here is the issue. What should we do?

My mate has simply said he will keep away from the town centre. Me I annoyed but out of my depth on my own.

Others dont want to know after I canvassed a few as again we know these fuckers are nasty.

I know one threatens to rape your female relatives and has done in the past and has served time for it.

The police, well no one will go as you dont snitch, well if you do it seems you ostracised up here.

So we stuck, they walk in the pub you either stay and are aware or you fuck off.

No wonder the town is dying

Part of parenting that isn't really in the 'manual' tbh. Our kids are now early in primary education and bullying hasn't entered much into the picture yet although as parents we've become familiar with many of their classmates who are struggling to acclimate to school and friends etc.

My work has actually invited in consultants to provide advice to employees on how to manage bullying & signs to be aware of that something might be going on at school. Our kids are pretty well integrated, popular (Daughter a bit shy but the youngest in the school atm).

I have seen some of these bullying documentaries, incomprehensible really but as I always say - when you see a troubled kid that does not behave well, the root of the problem is most of the time at home

I’m not big built, quite slim. And am a quiet personality, non-confrontational, quite gentle and polite in my mannerisms. Not a fighter. So, in 1977, when I began High School, I realised I had a problem. I became aware there were bullies, out to physically hurt people. And I realised they were weighing me up as a possible victim. They would keep their distance, but I could see them looking over at me and whispering to each other. I knew it would only be a matter of time before they cornered me somewhere, alone.

Because bullies are cowards, and always target the weaker individuals, the only way out of this dangerous predicament was to build myself up into a tough man, also, so they would leave me alone. My dad had some weights and a Bullworker, so I began working out regularly, and over a short time managed to pack on a bit of muscle. Also, I started to wear Doc Marten boots. And I cut my hair into a much shorter style. And learned a little Karate. This was from 11-years-old.

Basically, I transformed myself into a “hard man”. It was the only way I was going to survive five years of senior school. I had to adopt a tough guy persona, and that lasted decades. Because I took on this iron persona, it became my normal self, my everyday self, and I lost the person I really was. The real me is quick to smile and laugh, helpful and caring, kind and considerate, likes to curl up with a good book. But because my only way to survive was to become brusque and aggressive, that took over as my primary personality.

And it’s a horrible way to live, as the “Hard Man”. I’m 53 now, and only now am I shedding that heavy battered iron armour of Survival. Only now, after half a Century, is the nice gentle little boy, that I once was, coming, tentatively, back to the fore.

God-damn, I’ve lost my train of thought. I’ll just end by saying that it’s a terrible thing for a happy, innocent young child, to have to transition, suddenly, into “Knuckles Malone Prize Fighter” simply to survive school, “the best years of your life”.

That's a great post mate, one that I can definitely relate to and no doubt quite a few others will too, especially the part in bold !
The sad thing is, it not only affects you, but there's a ripple effect of how you decide to bring up your children, there's a huge part that feels the necessity to ready them for it too, in essence, stealing a little bit of their innocence, I was very lucky that my eldest girl was hard as nails, my youngest the opposite, so didn't need to be, nobody gave her grief, if they did, it was only the once, but I still look at the eldest with a bit of sorrow and the burden placed on her.

For most people being bullied turning into Charles Atlas is a totally unreasonable proposition.
If you are averse to violence no amount of pumping in a gym will turn you into a super hero.
It’s too simple to suggest it will.
There may well be heroes on here who took on the bullies and won but I’ll bet there are more who bought into the mantra of “stand up to the coward and they’ll run” and got a bloody good hiding for their troubles.

Is it only Manchester that's full of bullies?
Most of the people I know in Manchester are great people and I've lived in some of the rough areas ..
Lots of pricks and bullies in most towns and cities
Have to laugh...

Have you ever heard the one about “There is an arsehole in every room. If you have looked around and not spotted him yet...”

Maybe you’re a scally?*

*I don’t know you, am not suggesting you are, only commenting in what you said, which may not be helping you make the comparison.

I’ve had it at school, work and even in circles of friends where one decides they don’t want me around. People can be cunts. Sometimes I’ve retaliated and sometimes I’ve walked away.

What frightens me the most is what I can be capable of when I lose it in a fit of rage. Someone made a comment I didn’t like in a bar once and I ended up smashing a bottle in half to threaten him. A friend rugby tackled me to the floor before I was dragged outside. It took me hours to calm down about it and I shudder what I might have done had interference not happened. I just got a stunned “Why did you take that personally?” from my mate.

I put it down to the name calling, threats and violence I’ve received from haters. Defence syndrome. I’ve been an easy target for my size, being a nerd etc. I can snap easily.
I might be wrong, and I’m sorry if I am, but aren’t you the guy who said the thing you worried about people knowing was you fucked your mates girl and then lost them both?

I’d have been more worried about this ^^^ story. That is psychotic!

Manchester is full of confrontational, argumentative, arrogant, snide bullies. Always has been. Look at the traditional scally culture. I knew some awful people during a spell there.
From your story, they’re posting that same thing somewhere else on some other forum! 8-0

I’m not big built, quite slim. And am a quiet personality, non-confrontational, quite gentle and polite in my mannerisms. Not a fighter. So, in 1977, when I began High School, I realised I had a problem. I became aware there were bullies, out to physically hurt people. And I realised they were weighing me up as a possible victim. They would keep their distance, but I could see them looking over at me and whispering to each other. I knew it would only be a matter of time before they cornered me somewhere, alone.

Because bullies are cowards, and always target the weaker individuals, the only way out of this dangerous predicament was to build myself up into a tough man, also, so they would leave me alone. My dad had some weights and a Bullworker, so I began working out regularly, and over a short time managed to pack on a bit of muscle. Also, I started to wear Doc Marten boots. And I cut my hair into a much shorter style. And learned a little Karate. This was from 11-years-old.

Basically, I transformed myself into a “hard man”. It was the only way I was going to survive five years of senior school. I had to adopt a tough guy persona, and that lasted decades. Because I took on this iron persona, it became my normal self, my everyday self, and I lost the person I really was. The real me is quick to smile and laugh, helpful and caring, kind and considerate, likes to curl up with a good book. But because my only way to survive was to become brusque and aggressive, that took over as my primary personality.

And it’s a horrible way to live, as the “Hard Man”. I’m 53 now, and only now am I shedding that heavy battered iron armour of Survival. Only now, after half a Century, is the nice gentle little boy, that I once was, coming, tentatively, back to the fore.

God-damn, I’ve lost my train of thought. I’ll just end by saying that it’s a terrible thing for a happy, innocent young child, to have to transition, suddenly, into “Knuckles Malone Prize Fighter” simply to survive school, “the best years of your life”.

You are easily becoming the best poster on this forum ha! Another interesting read.
Good for you putting it all out there. Keep them coming...

Your post on the ‘being alone thread’ is easily the best post of the year.

5 pages in and none of you have simply done what Melania has told you...Be Best.

The irony is mind-boggling.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.