Buying Success: Discuss

When City were first successful in the early 20th century, it was because they (illegally) paid players more than the minimum wage. They weren't the only ones who did this it's fair to say but it shows that teams have bought success since players turned professional.

Prestwich_Blue said:
When City were first successful in the early 20th century, it was because they (illegally) paid players more than the minimum wage. They weren't the only ones who did this it's fair to say but it shows that teams have bought success since players turned professional.

Maximum I believe :)

IrelandSuperman said:
George Hannah said:
IrelandSuperman said:
Has anyone in UEFA offered any explanation as to why building success with loaned money is alright whereas we are the big bad boys? I mean, the Glazers are really running the rags into the ground in the long term with the impossible amounts of debt. UEFA darlings Real and Barca are also heavily in debt. How is that good for football?
the explanation is that UEFA are just the puppets of those illustrious clubs
trafford united - "illustrious"

dr-evil-laser.jpg
ah sorry - I used the word heavily impregnated with ironical mordancy

Corky said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

Yes maximum. Thanks.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Corky said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

Yes maximum. Thanks.

Preston brought a load of players down from Scotland to play for them right at the start of the league era.
The Scots game was based on passing the ball while the English game was still based on dribbling.
Preston revolutionised the game South of the border but the other clubs soon caught on including
the "super club" of the time Aston Villa. Aston Villa had been instrumental in setting up the Football League
and had a lot of influence over that organisation at the time. When City emerged as a well supported
big city club Aston Villa were scared that we might "usurp" their position as the number one club in the
country. The illegal payments were common practice at the time but once we were caught we had the book
thrown at us. Its all too depressingly familiar isn't it? FFP, G14 nothing ever changes.

John Henry Davies - Newton Heat/Manchester United
Henry Norris and William Hall - Woolwich Arsenal/Arsenal
Hilton Crowther then whoever bought him out - Huddersfield
James W Gibson - Manchester United
The Moores family (Mancunians, by the way) - Everton ("the Mersey Millions") and then Liverpool
Matthew Harding - Chelsea
Roman Abramovic - Chelsea
Sheikh Mansour - City

IrelandSuperman said:
KippaxCitizen said:
HRH Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan - Manchester City FC
Fixed.
I believe it is actually: Mansoor bin Zayed bin Sultan bin Zayed bin Khalifa Al Nahyan

I can remember Wolves buying my first hero and taking Waggy to Molinuex. So I know it's been the basis of all the football I have watched!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.