Buying Success: Discuss

The modern game IS money! It is the ONLY reason clubs are being bought out by wealthy individuals and sports franchises. Sport USED TO BE about community, the occasional silverware, and carrying on the traditions of the club. Today, it is about ONE THING, AND ONE THING ONLY.....££££.

As for "buying success," that depends on your definition of success. For Man U, it is winning the EPL and the CL. For Everton, it is getting into Europe and making an "extra" £30M, for West Brom it is EPL survival and a cup run....and for Arsenal it has CLEARLY been getting into the CL while they pay for the Emirates so they can now print money and start playing the "let's buy silverware" game that the Top 6 or so clubs in England play every year.

In England, we tend to have at least SIX teams that can win trophies every year. In France? Two, maybe three. Germany? Maybe only one going forward, but three at most. Italy? Two or three. Spain, two and occasionally three. So, BUYING SUCCESS in other countries is simply easier, until they get the CL, and as we have seen, CL success is generally coming down to a handful of......THE RICHEST CLUBS IN EUROPE!

In England, there will NEVER be another club that wins the EPL that does not have a squad that cost £100Ms to assemble and an annual wage bill under £100M. Some clubs will develop a few players and, especially if they are a English, they will be lauded to high heaven. However, even the "homegrown" players at most top clubs will have been culled from the best young (pre-)teenagers in the world until the youth development of football in England improves DRAMATICALLY.

So, anyone who says that clubs don't TRY to buy success is simply deluding themselves. The only difference is the definition of success for that club! For City, the NEW definition of success is Top 4 and beyond the Group Stages of the CL every year, just as it is for Chelsea, United, Arsenal, and now Liverpool. And, each one of them wants to win at least one piece of domestic silverware every year to keep THE FANS (and to some extent, the players) happy.

What do all of those clubs have in common? FOREIGN OWNERSHIP WITH DEEP POCKETS!

The End.

Success itself cannot be bought, unless of course we are competing in a corrupt League - but that's another discussion entirely.
What we have done is bought the quality of player that can help us to achieve success. Which is exactly what every other successful club have done.

What we had to do was spend rather a lot in a short space of time which made us look like we were throwing money around wildly. I don't recall us ever throwing £30M at a teenage fullback though. Now that would be obscene and would raise quite a shit storm if we did. It's ok for some clubs though apparently.

rags invest in players and we buy the league thats the way the media see it we all know the truth and they cant handle the truth.

PistonBlue said:
Success itself cannot be bought, unless of course we are competing in a corrupt League - but that's another discussion entirely.
What we have done is bought the quality of player that can help us to achieve success. Which is exactly what every other successful club have done.

What we had to do was spend rather a lot in a short space of time which made us look like we were throwing money around wildly. I don't recall us ever throwing £30M at a teenage fullback though. Now that would be obscene and would raise quite a shit storm if we did. It's ok for some clubs though apparently.

Agree..success cannot be bought. Never really understood the phrase 'Buying Success' anyway.

The only thing you can buy is players. Now, 5 years ago, 10 or 20 years ago...it always has been and always will be about players.

Liverpool have invested substantially over the years...how come then has it been possible for Everton to finish above them in the league recently, if it's all about money?

Why is it that they haven't won the title for 24 years after 'spending all that money'. They're probably now the club who has spent the most money and never won the Premier League.

Personally, I don't think any of us should get defensive about having the money to spend...we should be proud of it and excited.

Is money important?..you can do very little without it. It's right up there with oxygen in my book.

I may sound like an arrogant twat but when fans say the classic line "you only bought your success" i say to them, "we can buy it and you can't". No point in bringing up what they did in the 1930s, as long as YOUR happy with YOUR club you shouldnt care what people think. If the Villa's, Newcastle's and Everton's of this world got a take over and bought success, i would not be bothered in the slightest and would see them as a new challenge.

If you won the lottery would you stick with your basic everyday car or go wild and buy a Ferrari?

Football is corrupt, from top to bottom, with almost no morals. aside from the chavs, PSG and us, most owners use club's to hide money (launder) with the EPL teams also getting a good return from now on, I expect few EPL takeovers in the future as we get stronger.

Football is corrupt, from top to bottom, with almost no morals. aside from the chavs, PSG and us, most owners use club's to hide money (launder) with the EPL teams also getting a good return from now on, I expect few EPL takeovers in the future as we get stronger.

The only thing that frustrates me is when opposition fans say 'you bought the league', when four years ago when we were taken over they were all saying 'you can't buy success, it takes more than money, you need a team' etc

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.