Cameron suggests cutting housing benefit

GStar said:
SWP's back said:
It's crazy but I'm not in a position financially to have kids responsibly so I'm not having any at present. call me old fashioned but I tend to think that the responsibility should be with the individual rather than the taxpayer. I'm sure there will be enough safety nets but it shouldn't just be a free for all where they can do what they want and know they will never have to work or worry about financing themselves.

As De Niro points out, they'll have to live at home with their folks and their kids, it may well make them more responsible in the future.

I'm in complete agreement with your first part; having kids shouldn't be a right you can claim on everyone else's expense; it should be a responsibility you work towards being able to achieve.

The living at home i'm not so sure about. I moved out at 18, went to Uni and never looked back (except when Christmas comes around and the foods great!) I'd argue having to budget from that age and continuing to run a house/car now has made me more responsible than if i paid half board at home, had all my meals cooked for me and my shirts ironed ready for the week.

On the other hand, those extra few years would have allowed me to save for a house deposit/be in a position to start a pension. Which is why i now play the Euromillions.
Oh no mate, you misunderstand, I fully agree with all of that and I did the same as you.

My response about having to live at home was my suggestion when asked what would happen to the children (babies) so they didn't die on the street.

SWP's back said:
i kne albert davy said:
SWP's back said:
No, everyone can live how they wish, it's just that those that wish to have children and not work will have to fund themselves as opposed to relying on the taxpayer to do it and rightly so.
Great idea but what do we do with the children let them die in the street if you can come up with the answer to that one i might even vote for call me Dave myself.

It's crazy but I'm not in a position financially to have kids responsibly so I'm not having any at present. call me old fashioned but I tend to think that the responsibility should be with the individual rather than the taxpayer. I'm sure there will be enough safety nets but it shouldn't just be a free for all where they can do what they want and know they will never have to work or worry about financing themselves.

As De Niro points out, they'll have to live at home with their folks and their kids, it may well make them more responsible in the future.

-- Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:33 pm --

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
kevinmcfc said:
I completely agree with him. The cost of housing is far too high and somebody needs to do something. Labour left this country in the biggest mess it has been in for over 100 years and he is trying to sort out the mess. Good for him.

Well we managed to reach page two without some numpty blaming Labour for everything but then,as if by tragic,up pops the usual apologist.
Could someone please let me know the date when the coalition actually becomes accountable for anything,as I would like to mark it in my diary?
Come off it Nij, we didn't make it 8 replies before Thatcher was blamed.

And the last givernment was still blaming the tories every pmq's in 2008.

As for 'some numpty' in reference to Thatcher he is spot on. It was either poorly drafted legislation or Tory foresight take your pick. As for the former the legislation allowed for the sale of social housing but the cash raised in this way could be used as the council saw fit, more often than not to simply balance the books. By simply making the revenue from the sales to be used only for building of more social housing or upkeep of the current housing stock things would be vastly different today.

Got ya.

I guess, thinking about it, whilst it sounds bad, it may not be.

Graduates and those in full time employment at that age don't receive housing benefit as far as I'm aware as they'll be earning, which basically means they won't qualify regardless of salary.

Those who aren't earning at that age shouldn't be able to move out as it is and will probably be living at home anyway.

The only people i can see this effecting is those who are in full time employment and fall ill/victim of an accident or perhaps those who come from a more dysfunctional family, have moved out but lost their job.

Lucky13 said:
Halfpenny said:
de niro said:
good, see this is what we need, bold moves to get us back on track whilst making more cadgers get a job.
well done again dave.
What jobs?

Just been working with a Polish lad who has been in the Country 3 weeks and has been working since his arrival , there are jobs if your prepared to work.

But shurley the point is if housing benefit is reduced it means that the labour force can't be mobile, can't move to areas with work. I would have though the young would be the most likely to relocate given the opportunity.

Mikecini said:
Lucky13 said:
Halfpenny said:
What jobs?

Just been working with a Polish lad who has been in the Country 3 weeks and has been working since his arrival , there are jobs if your prepared to work.

But shurley the point is if housing benefit is reduced it means that the labour force can't be mobile, can't move to areas with work. I would have though the young would be the most likely to relocate given the opportunity.

I think your being generous about our " workforce".

It might well look a bit draconian not helping the jobless with a roof over their heads but look on the bright side. For those that way inclined homeless single mums will be giving it away for beans on toast and a night on your couch, more people drug dealing equals lower prices (woohoo) and knock off gear will be rife also means cheaper.

Everyone near enough's a winner baby.

GStar said:
Got ya.

I guess, thinking about it, whilst it sounds bad, it may not be.

Graduates and those in full time employment at that age don't receive housing benefit as far as I'm aware as they'll be earning, which basically means they won't qualify regardless of salary.

Those who aren't earning at that age shouldn't be able to move out as it is and will probably be living at home anyway.

The only people i can see this effecting is those who are in full time employment and fall ill/victim of an accident or perhaps those who come from a more dysfunctional family, have moved out but lost their job.

There are some under 25's that are in full time work and yet still get help towards their rent because they are on a low income. And they get the help because they need it.
It would seem unfair to deny them the chance to set up their first home and strive for some independence.
However, I do think the housing benefits system IS in need of an overhaul but I'd like to see it directed at those who have never contributed and without good reason.

There's no jobs and all the shit ones are taken by the constant stream of Europeans coming into the Country.

Sad that we only have two choices to vote for as they are both cunts.

you're deluded if you do not acknowledge that there are girls out there who have chosen a life of benefits and who intentionally have babies young to get the free house

I know girls who have expected nothing else and have done exactly this

It's been going on for decades now

this should be unacceptable to all taxpayers

Mikecini said:
As for 'some numpty' in reference to Thatcher he is spot on. It was either poorly drafted legislation or Tory foresight take your pick. As for the former the legislation allowed for the sale of social housing
A wonderful piece of legislation that empowered a generation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.