Campaign Against Use of the Term 'EPL'

True_Blue69 said:
It's a term used by either foreign fans, new fans of football or the Sky TV generation, for those reasons I never use it and back your campaign wholeheartedly.

Whats your problem with foreign fans? What about the foreigners that own your fucking team. Go take a look at the table and tell me when you get to an English owned team. It is these foreign fans and their money that help make the "EPL" the strongest league in the world.

Stuuuuuu said:
I've just seen another person using this term on the forum. I know I'm not the only one who finds this really irksome. I'm pretty certain that this is Yank talk, and I am strongly opposed to this moronic influence coming into use in England.

Does anyone on here say 'SLL' or 'Spanish La Liga'? No.

Does anyone on here say 'ISA' or 'Italian Serie A'? No.

Does anyone on here say 'German Bundesliga'? No.

So by this (sensible) logic, the only correct term is 'Premier League'. After all, there is no other Premier League to confuse it with, so why specify that it is English? Like I said above, we don't need to specify Italian or Spanish or German. Likewise we don't need to specify English.

I can understand people abbreviating it to 'PL'; but never 'EPL'.

I'm more bothered when people call it the PremierSHIP. It's not been that for years now yet many still use it on here, journo's, pundits, players and managers all use it also. It's the Premier LEAGUE! The Premiership is sponsored by Guiness and is the union code of rug y's top league in England. The Premier League is sponsored by Barclays and is the league our football club are currently joint top of!

EPL bothers me far less!

SWP's back said:
Dubai Blue said:
pominoz is correct, it's referred to as the English Premier League everywhere but home. It's all a bit NBA/NFLish for my liking, but it's not worth losing any sleep over. Many, many, many more people watch the Premier League abroad than in England and this is how the powers that be have chosen to package the English game to them, so you'd better get used to it.

No. I am English and live in England. I shall not have to.
Fair enough. Let something as unimportant as what foreign people call a football divison get you all hot and bothered, because they will continue to do call it the EPL for as long as the Premier League continues to market itself to them as such.

Always hated the term EPL , it's the Premier
League. Known as that world-wide just like
in golf it's the Open Championship NOT
the British Open!!!

If this is the biggest worry in your life you are indeed a very lucky person.

I think the bigger issue is the fact we lost Div1 Div2 Div3 Div4...that was simple and historic. Now when a player who won a 1st Division title medal has to explain to his grandkids that it equates with todays premiership and the grandkids are thinking he has had one too many sherries...

Also ban:

Roster when they mean Squad

In and Out when they mean On and Off

Bop when they mean Head

Pipes when they mean Posts

Jersey when they mean Shirt

Expelled from the Pitch when they mean Sent Off

Season when referring to a Series on TV

Commercial when they mean an Advert

The use of Bunch as a collective noun for EVERYTHING

The use of Suck/s, not as a verb, but for something they don't like

Movie when they mean Film

etc etc

Too much of this is creeping in, and no one is stopping it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.