Can the UK handle..

BigJimLittleJim said:
mackenzie said:
BigJimLittleJim said:
I respect you as a poster Mack, and if I'm not mistaken you work in some sort of social service/support role, getting people up to speed for jobs?

You got thru the Polish invasion, I'm sure you'll get 'thru the Roma one, no one will die, no one will get hurt, maybe get stressed, which sucks, but that's the way of all modern business - never enough staff or resources, you can't let your job impinge into your private life (I did several years ago - I got out and changed lifestyle and career - best thing I ever did).

However, I deeply object to this thinly disguised xenophobia dressed up as concern for our national infrastructure - the poor sods aren't even here yet and some would have them strung up by their scruffy goolies - let's see what happens when and if they do come - and there are many respected sources who dismiss the scale of the numbers projected to actually come as insignificant, due to the fact they'll probably go to places like Spain and Italy etc.. due to language similarities and other cultural factors.

History tells us immigrants are good for our country in all respects, and the good people of Romania and Bulgaria will be no different.
And I always respect your posts too because I know that we are like minded and have the same desires at heart.
Yet I can't help but know that an already over stretched public front line is going to suffer in some respect. If one interview takes twice as long then waiting times for said interviews will be effected. And this will be duplicated in other front line areas.
The problem is the lack of English.

Funnily enough I was discussing this with a well travelled chap I'm in a car club with (restoring crap old cars) - the labour MP Anne Cryer led an initiative in Keighley West Yorks to get Asian women speaking English, which immensely improved their whole lives - it also helped to empower them to recognise when they were being exploited - I'm not sure whether this is offered to all who come to live here, but it would be a great way of integrating newcomers.

On the flip side, there are whole areas of France and Spain etc.. full of Brits who can't speak a word of any other language than English, who live in their own enclaves, complaining about the lack of "proper" sausages and pot noodles - so people in glass houses etc..:)

I might have blown it, but I'd like to live at least for a few years in maybe the South of France, and for sure I'll brush up on my A level French, and have a good crack at integrating - all this is possible because we're Europeans now, and the sooner people accept it, the better. (Not a rant at you there Mack, just venting a bit, soz!)
The waiting time for an ESOL course in my area is 5 months. A Czech lad I was dealing with was desperate to get on it but that is how long it took. And that's the problem I have; that the infrastructure isn't there because this Government will just offload people into communities with no real understanding of the actual problems of integration.

Rascal said:
Helmet Cole said:
I don't realistically think you can compare the emigration of mostly well-off retired sun and golf fans from the UK to the Costa's with Eastern European immigration to the UK to be fair - the demographics are likely to be a little different.

Good point. A load of people who will pay no tax, take local housing and use local public services whilst putting very little back into the community or some kid from Bulgaria who wants to better himself, will probably in a job and pay tax and contribute to the community

Thats a great point HC

That is certainly one way of looking at it - a valid one for sure, but there are too many folk from the far left and far right who only have 'their' one way of viewing things. Both stifle the truth in their own way.
I'm sure it will take a lot of eastern european immigrants on benefits to drain the economy as much as one russian or arab oligarch living in a London mansion and enjoying off-shore tax status, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have any debate -preferably without the scare tactics of either the Mail or indeed Guardian readers. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

foxy said:
mackenzie said:
Several years ago, when the influx of refugees from war zones came in, it definitely did have an effect on my job. Many couldn't speak English and had a very long way to go before they were job ready. No English, no real skills that could be offered to the workforce and at one point I was dealing with at least one a day. I felt sorry for most of them but at least then it was a thriving economy. Don't see any of them now so I guess most found work and settled.
This time it will place a burden on an already over stretched public service/infrastructure.
And that worries me.

Exactly, careful though, some of the coffee drinking Guardian readers may persecute you for saying that.

I can't believe some on here know nothing of the current state that public services still believe in their delusional minds that everything will be fine and dandy. These people who probably live in their suburban Wilmslow paradise with their secure job who will have no dealing with the influx next year.

I've read some vile and downright vicious insults on here but calling someone a coffee drinker is just overstepping the mark.

mackenzie said:
BigJimLittleJim said:
mackenzie said:
And I always respect your posts too because I know that we are like minded and have the same desires at heart.
Yet I can't help but know that an already over stretched public front line is going to suffer in some respect. If one interview takes twice as long then waiting times for said interviews will be effected. And this will be duplicated in other front line areas.
The problem is the lack of English.

Funnily enough I was discussing this with a well travelled chap I'm in a car club with (restoring crap old cars) - the labour MP Anne Cryer led an initiative in Keighley West Yorks to get Asian women speaking English, which immensely improved their whole lives - it also helped to empower them to recognise when they were being exploited - I'm not sure whether this is offered to all who come to live here, but it would be a great way of integrating newcomers.

On the flip side, there are whole areas of France and Spain etc.. full of Brits who can't speak a word of any other language than English, who live in their own enclaves, complaining about the lack of "proper" sausages and pot noodles - so people in glass houses etc..:)

I might have blown it, but I'd like to live at least for a few years in maybe the South of France, and for sure I'll brush up on my A level French, and have a good crack at integrating - all this is possible because we're Europeans now, and the sooner people accept it, the better. (Not a rant at you there Mack, just venting a bit, soz!)
The waiting time for an ESOL course in my area is 5 months. A Czech lad I was dealing with was desperate to get on it but that is how long it took. And that's the problem I have; that the infrastructure isn't there because this Government will just offload people into communities with no real understanding of the actual problems of integration.

Actually, I have a house in Spain and the expats there who don't speak Spanish (the majority) have to pay for an interpreter by law if they want to see a doctor etc. not like here where everyone gets it paid for. I like Mackenzie as a poster as well, she leans a lot further to the left than I do and so if she says this influx may cause an issue then I sit up and listen. From my perspective, I have no issue with migrants who learn the language and earn their keep. What I do object to is the ones who don't learn anything other than how to play the system. I just don't understand why we have this automatic right to benefits without paying in

dazdon said:
tidyman said:
I've read some vile and downright vicious insults on here but calling someone a coffee drinker is just overstepping the mark.

We've all bean there.

It's no good roasting him for his opinion it's a bit au lait for that.
Youre full of beans tonight. There's no putting the mochas on your jokes eh

dronefromsector7g said:
dazdon said:
tidyman said:

We've all bean there.

Just pushing it to the Max, well trying to anyway.

dazdon said:
dronefromsector7g said:
dazdon said:
We've all bean there.

Just pushing it to the Max, well trying to anyway.
I sure kenco for that

Rascal said:
Helmet Cole said:
I don't realistically think you can compare the emigration of mostly well-off retired sun and golf fans from the UK to the Costa's with Eastern European immigration to the UK to be fair - the demographics are likely to be a little different.

Good point. A load of people who will pay no tax, take local housing and use local public services whilst putting very little back into the community or some kid from Bulgaria who wants to better himself, will probably in a job and pay tax and contribute to the community

Thats a great point HC

Rascal I'm not sure if it was you personally, so forgive me if it wasn't but in the thread about the government making unemployed people work after 2 years of being out of work, a lot of posters arguing on the same side as you were saying that there isn't jobs so it's not fair.

Well how is some "kid" from Bulgaria with no qualifications and no experience in this country, going to get into a job to pay tax?

It's bad news and we all know it.

Ronnie the Rep said:
mackenzie said:
BigJimLittleJim said:
[/b]

Actually, I have a house in Spain and the expats there who don't speak Spanish (the majority) have to pay for an interpreter by law if they want to see a doctor etc. not like here where everyone gets it paid for. I like Mackenzie as a poster as well, she leans a lot further to the left than I do and so if she says this influx may cause an issue then I sit up and listen. From my perspective, I have no issue with migrants who learn the language and earn their keep. What I do object to is the ones who don't learn anything other than how to play the system. I just don't understand why we have this automatic right to benefits without paying in

Do we not as EU citizens have the same rights to benefits and free healthcare in Spain , Romania, and Bulgaria - surely this is the case or there would be no debate?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.