Can we cut Edin a break?

I would be sad to see Edin go.

Yes, we all know his limitations (first touch, pace) but he also offers something a bit different from the other strikers - in a game where the tricky but small pairing of Aguero and Tevez are not managing to break through, Edin offers us the chance to put some crosses in. Imagine a team with Sinclair crossing from the wing and Aguero and Tevez in the middle - what would be the point ?

To underline this, Dzeko has scored some vital goals in tightly-fought encounters (Wigan away, Blackburn away) when something different was needed to break the deadlock.

The fact that every transfer window, some of the best teams in Europe start sniffing around him and (allegedly) offering big money, shows that he is not as bad as people make out. He misses a lot, but when everything did go his way (at Spurs) he got 4. If he was a regular starter, we'd probably see more of that.

Also, look at his goals per minute for City - it's not bad at all. Never mind 26 goals in 29 games in that Bundesliga season.

I also think he does try his best every game - which dare I say it, perhaps sets him apart from his rival for coming off the bench - Balotelli.

We are rather spoiled these days with Aguero and Tevez up front, but Edin is a very decent backup for them.

BosnianDiamond said:
We have yet to see the best of Dzeko. When he gets a run of games, and plays with confidence he will be scoring at will, just like at Wolfsburg. Despite all the goals he's scored already for City, the only time I saw him play with 100% confidence was Spurs away when he scored 4 goals. That is the Dzeko that dominated the German league. If there is one fault with Dzeko is that he lacks arrogance that all top strikers have. He should be more confident in his abilities.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJeXLetniKI[/youtube]

best part of this video is Fatih Terim moaning at 1.06 knowing it's in 3 seconds before Dzeko even made a shot. Terim is mental, lol

That was the first game I've ever heard about Dzeko and dealing with all Bosnian football crap before I knew he'll make a great career immediately.

Like him or not, rate him or not the guy scores goals.
He has scored freely for City and did so in Germany.
Last season he got 14 goals in 16 starts. That's just 6 less than Tevez won the golden boot with the season before. He is our forth choice striker and he is easily capable getting 15-20 PL goals a season from open play. He doesn't take free kicks or penalties which bump up other players tallys.

The season Tevez won the golden boot he scored 20 Prem oals. He must have scored at least 4 pens that season and the odd free kick.
Don't get me wrong Tevez is far superior to Dzeko, I just think Edin deserves a little less flack. I personally don't think he could be bettered as a 4th choice striker. His attitude seems good, he seems happy and he scores goals.

In the last 75 top flight games he has started he has scored 50 goals in two top leagues. How much would it cost to get a player with a goals return that consistent?
If he played for Bayern or Athletico and was their main striker he would be scoring as freely as Falcao or Gomez.

He may not be the most gifted, but he scores goals.

I don't especially rate him, I do like him and hope he does well.

schfc6 said:
Like him or not, rate him or not the guy scores goals.
He has scored freely for City and did so in Germany.
Last season he got 14 goals in 16 starts. That's just 6 less than Tevez won the golden boot with the season before. He is our forth choice striker and he is easily capable getting 15-20 PL goals a season from open play. He doesn't take free kicks or penalties which bump up other players tallys.

The season Tevez won the golden boot he scored 20 Prem oals. He must have scored at least 4 pens that season and the odd free kick.
Don't get me wrong Tevez is far superior to Dzeko, I just think Edin deserves a little less flack. I personally don't think he could be bettered as a 4th choice striker. His attitude seems good, he seems happy and he scores goals.

In the last 75 top flight games he has started he has scored 50 goals in two top leagues. How much would it cost to get a player with a goals return that consistent?
If he played for Bayern or Athletico and was their main striker he would be scoring as freely as Falcao or Gomez.

He may not be the most gifted, but he scores goals.

I don't especially rate him, I do like him and hope he does well.
There is a Bayern fan who posts on Bluemoon sometimes who says that Edin is a better player than Gomez.

edin will get us 15,20 goals this season and for a bloke playing behind,kun,tevez,balo that is brilliant.

i would expect kun ,tevez 20-30 goals
balo and edin 15-20 goals.and for a fourth placed striker that is brilliant.

I had to laugh at Anfield when Andy Carroll was warming up to a background of donkey chants.

When he came on with ten minutes to go you could hear a collective "OH SHIT" from the same City fans who had been abusing him all afternoon.

In fact there's only one striker in the Premier League who looks more of a threat from set pieces.

Funnily enough he plays for us.

EDWARD19 said:
Why do people keep talking about style of play? If you want to win more championships you have to be able to score in many different ways..How is getting more Aguero types going to help against teams like Real Madrid who can actual defend ground game?..It's mind boggling how some people think in such a simple manner. I have a feeling some eat a lot of popcorn during games and when a player screws up (which pretty much every players does) they register that and it sticks as the way he played for the entire game...Otherwise i dont get how so many different people can have opposite views on how someone did during the game. Yes every player screws up, at times multiple times, as long as they contribute to the scoreboard i couldn't care less how they do it. If you want to see some nice moves without goals and wins go watch Arsenal.

Because the players we have don't play to his strengths. He needs a lot of crosses and the vast majority of our players Nasri, Silva, Richards, Yaya, Rodwell, Tevez, Aguero don't provide many crosses. They tend to play the ball to the feet and his first touch is awful and he can't carry the ball through traffic so he slows down the counterattack. Kolorov is the only guy that really excels at crosses but he's a defensive liability so he can only be used in certain circumstances.

Dzeko reminds me of Mario Gomez. A guy that scores a lot of goals but is limited in what he can do. Plays poorly for long stretches of the game but manages to make 1 or 2 good plays and score a goal. If they are going to win the champions league he's going to have to be way more consistent. I believe he is a vital player to the team because he's the only guy on the roster that can provide the things he does and in certain games we're going to need that.

Mr. Aguia said:
EDWARD19 said:
Why do people keep talking about style of play? If you want to win more championships you have to be able to score in many different ways..How is getting more Aguero types going to help against teams like Real Madrid who can actual defend ground game?..It's mind boggling how some people think in such a simple manner. I have a feeling some eat a lot of popcorn during games and when a player screws up (which pretty much every players does) they register that and it sticks as the way he played for the entire game...Otherwise i dont get how so many different people can have opposite views on how someone did during the game. Yes every player screws up, at times multiple times, as long as they contribute to the scoreboard i couldn't care less how they do it. If you want to see some nice moves without goals and wins go watch Arsenal.

Because the players we have don't play to his strengths. He needs a lot of crosses and the vast majority of our players Nasri, Silva, Richards, Yaya, Rodwell, Tevez, Aguero don't provide many crosses. They tend to play the ball to the feet and his first touch is awful and he can't carry the ball through traffic so he slows down the counterattack. Kolorov is the only guy that really excels at crosses but he's a defensive liability so he can only be used in certain circumstances.

Dzeko reminds me of Mario Gomez. A guy that scores a lot of goals but is limited in what he can do. Plays poorly for long stretches of the game but manages to make 1 or 2 good plays and score a goal. If they are going to win the champions league he's going to have to be way more consistent. I believe he is a vital player to the team because he's the only guy on the roster that can provide the things he does and in certain games we're going to need that.

Bang on the money right there

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.