Can we cut Edin a break?

I'm really dismayed by some of these posts, I feel like I don't watch the same games as many of you.

Dzeko undoubtedly is wasteful at times. I'm not always optimistic when he's got the ball at his feet 30 or 40 yards from goal, he's not at his best there. Every striker fluffs great chances, that's the nature of the position. What's important is having a striker who gets in the positions, which is probably one of Edin's greatest strengths. The difference between class and goat is miniscule for these guys, and you all act like these moving side footed tap ins with 2 defenders chasing you are elementary stuff.

Furthermore, in our formation, when we play with Edin we end up with 2 ancillary benefits. First, his hold up play is miles better than any of our other strikers. Aguero and Tevez are magnificent footballers, but they lack the size to do a job on balls played forward. There are 3 or 4 times a game where Edin settles a long ball and controls into space while the midfielders get forward. It's not a goal, not by a long shot, but these type of plays allow us to establish possession and begin to swarm the other team, they're critical build up plays and many of our key goals start this way. Especially when you consider that we're not much of a counter attacking team, our possession is absolutely vital.

The other thing that happens when Edin is on the pitch is that he plays a deeper CF role and creates a gap for someone like Tevez/Silva/Nasri to work in. When we play with Tevez and Aguero, we often end up with both of them coming back to receive the ball from the midfield. This closes a lot of space and allows the CBs to press forward as well. Dzeko, more than our other strikers, will hang on the back line and draw the CBs attention, since they do not want to leave him a free header.

None of these things are magic that are attributed solely to Edin. A good, large CF displays these attributes. Edin happens to be one of them. If in the future we decide to jettison Dzeko, I hope it is only when we can find a similar target man style striker who can fill this void. We are at times too one dimensional when we play with our two smaller strikers or Balotelli who seems to suffer when he isn't playing as a sole target man up the middle.

Finally, our team has to look to feed Edin as much as possible in close quarters. It was nearly embarassing how poor we were at finding him in the last match. You don't get extra points for the degree of difficulty in the goal, it's important that we continue to get pressure and get balls in the middle for Edin to have a go at. He'll inevitably get some of them, and others will be cleared out for corners or fall to people to have a go after the initial attempt fails.

teddykgb said:
I'm really dismayed by some of these posts, I feel like I don't watch the same games as many of you.

Dzeko undoubtedly is wasteful at times. I'm not always optimistic when he's got the ball at his feet 30 or 40 yards from goal, he's not at his best there. Every striker fluffs great chances, that's the nature of the position. What's important is having a striker who gets in the positions, which is probably one of Edin's greatest strengths. The difference between class and goat is miniscule for these guys, and you all act like these moving side footed tap ins with 2 defenders chasing you are elementary stuff.

Furthermore, in our formation, when we play with Edin we end up with 2 ancillary benefits. First, his hold up play is miles better than any of our other strikers. Aguero and Tevez are magnificent footballers, but they lack the size to do a job on balls played forward. There are 3 or 4 times a game where Edin settles a long ball and controls into space while the midfielders get forward. It's not a goal, not by a long shot, but these type of plays allow us to establish possession and begin to swarm the other team, they're critical build up plays and many of our key goals start this way. Especially when you consider that we're not much of a counter attacking team, our possession is absolutely vital.

The other thing that happens when Edin is on the pitch is that he plays a deeper CF role and creates a gap for someone like Tevez/Silva/Nasri to work in. When we play with Tevez and Aguero, we often end up with both of them coming back to receive the ball from the midfield. This closes a lot of space and allows the CBs to press forward as well. Dzeko, more than our other strikers, will hang on the back line and draw the CBs attention, since they do not want to leave him a free header.

None of these things are magic that are attributed solely to Edin. A good, large CF displays these attributes. Edin happens to be one of them. If in the future we decide to jettison Dzeko, I hope it is only when we can find a similar target man style striker who can fill this void. We are at times too one dimensional when we play with our two smaller strikers or Balotelli who seems to suffer when he isn't playing as a sole target man up the middle.

Finally, our team has to look to feed Edin as much as possible in close quarters. It was nearly embarassing how poor we were at finding him in the last match. You don't get extra points for the degree of difficulty in the goal, it's important that we continue to get pressure and get balls in the middle for Edin to have a go at. He'll inevitably get some of them, and others will be cleared out for corners or fall to people to have a go after the initial attempt fails.

i'm not a tevez fan but he hold up a ball a lot better than dzeko

danburge82 said:
schfc6 said:
Like him or not, rate him or not the guy scores goals.
He has scored freely for City and did so in Germany.
Last season he got 14 goals in 16 starts. That's just 6 less than Tevez won the golden boot with the season before. He is our forth choice striker and he is easily capable getting 15-20 PL goals a season from open play. He doesn't take free kicks or penalties which bump up other players tallys.

The season Tevez won the golden boot he scored 20 Prem oals. He must have scored at least 4 pens that season and the odd free kick.
Don't get me wrong Tevez is far superior to Dzeko, I just think Edin deserves a little less flack. I personally don't think he could be bettered as a 4th choice striker. His attitude seems good, he seems happy and he scores goals.

In the last 75 top flight games he has started he has scored 50 goals in two top leagues. How much would it cost to get a player with a goals return that consistent?
If he played for Bayern or Athletico and was their main striker he would be scoring as freely as Falcao or Gomez.

He may not be the most gifted, but he scores goals.

I don't especially rate him, I do like him and hope he does well.
There is a Bayern fan who posts on Bluemoon sometimes who says that Edin is a better player than Gomez.

Hes easily better than Gomez.

Mancio said:
teddykgb said:

Suarez the dipper is far superior to Dzeko when it comes to ball control and skill yet Edin scores more goals..

I know which id have... gimme the goals anyday.

Mancio said:
teddykgb said:

If played to feet, yes, I suppose. But Carlos doesn't necessarily win a lot of balls that don't bounce. He brings a trillion other things to the table, I'm not criticizing the player, but Edin is imo alone among our strikers in being able to bring down a long aerial ball and turning it into possession for our midfield. Carlos is more likely to try to let it bounce and run onto it than settle it and begin the build up when the ball isn't played to his feet.

Liked his celebration (or lack of) when he scored the header against QPR.........just clenched a fist and stared as he was mobbed........maybe we've seen the end of Mr Nice Guy? Might do him some good to have a bit of attitude.

DJ1 said:
Liked his celebration (or lack of) when he scored the header against QPR.........just clenched a fist and stared as he was mobbed........maybe we've seen the end of Mr Nice Guy? Might do him some good to have a bit of attitude.

didnt we saw that end in munchen ?

Mancio said:
teddykgb said:

See Mancio - that's where your lack of football knowledge shows.

Carlos is much better with the ball already in his feet, off defenders. He (Carlos) is utter shit (and sergio for that matter too) when it comes to receiving long kick-outs from goalie or back 4, with defenders on his back. For one he is too short, for two - knowing his limitations he doesnt even try that hard.

THAT is "hold up" in a classical football terms, whereas what you probably refer to and what carlos excells in is dribbling/movement with the ball.
Actually, in terms of "hold-up" play - both MARIO AND DZEKO are much better than either Tevez or Aguero, and you should know that if you know football. Dzeko quite often holds the ball up with two defenders LITERALLY on his back -make no mistake none of the other 3 come close in that (Mario is getting closer though - showed much improvement during EC).

EaglesFan said:
Mancio said:
teddykgb said:

See Mancio - that's where your lack of football knowledge shows.

Carlos is much better with the ball already in his feet, off defenders. He (Carlos) is utter shit (and sergio for that matter too) when it comes to receiving long kick-outs from goalie or back 4, with defenders on his back. For one he is too short, for two - knowing his limitations he doesnt even try that hard.

THAT is "hold up" in a classical football terms, whereas what you probably refer to and what carlos excells in is dribbling/movement with the ball.
Actually, in terms of "hold-up" play - both MARIO AND DZEKO are much better than either Tevez or Aguero, and you should know that if you know football. Dzeko quite often holds the ball up with two defenders LITERALLY on his back -make no mistake none of the other 3 come close in that (Mario is getting closer though - showed much improvement during EC).

to hold up a ball you have to trap it (with you chest or your feet) , unfortunally dzeko and the verb "to trap" do not quite agree

EaglesFan said:

But the facts of the matter are, we very rarely lump the ball long from defence to attack.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.