Can we cut Edin a break?

Everyone knows the boy has talent. The only problem is he's been woeful for City. He scored 1/3rd of his goals last season in one game, and the second half of 2010-11 he scored only a few. I would say its more of an issue with the system City has setup under Mancini. Why Dzeko was ever brought into this squad I'll never know. I think he'd probably contend for the Golden Boot under a pre-Rodgers Liverpool.

All I have to say is, every time the ball falls to him, I almost look away knowing he'll aim for the top row of seats. Against QPR he had two wide open opportunities on goal and didn't even hit the target (albeit he was offside both times so it didn't matter anyways).

He always acts upset when other players opt to take a pop at goal themselves instead of passing it to him in the clear... and I can't blame them really.

Dethred said:
Everyone knows the boy has talent. The only problem is he's been woeful for City. He scored 1/3rd of his goals last season in one game, and the second half of 2010-11 he scored only a few. I would say its more of an issue with the system City has setup under Mancini. Why Dzeko was ever brought into this squad I'll never know. I think he'd probably contend for the Golden Boot under a pre-Rodgers Liverpool.

All I have to say is, every time the ball falls to him, I almost look away knowing he'll aim for the top row of seats. Against QPR he had two wide open opportunities on goal and didn't even hit the target (albeit he was offside both times so it didn't matter anyways).

He always acts upset when other players opt to take a pop at goal themselves instead of passing it to him in the clear... and I can't blame them really.

So "woeful" that he plays a vital part in winning the league for us.

Just the three points he won for us at Wigan away were vital.

The goal on the final day against QPR was vital.

To suggest that he is "woeful" is pathetic from a supporter of the PL winning team (something you wouldn't be without his "woeful" contribution !)

Dethred said:

He scored 19 (20 if you include the community shield) goals, 4 is a funny 1/3 for both of those totals, 20 goals is a respectable total for most strikers and I personally like the guy.

BlueTG said:
Dethred said:

He scored 19 (20 if you include the community shield) goals, 4 is a funny 1/3 for both of those totals, 20 goals is a respectable total for most strikers and I personally like the guy.

You're right - 20 goals is a fantastic outcome for a 3rd / 4th choice striker. Name another team who can match that with their 3rd / 4th choice ?

Yes Dzeko scored a few important goals last season, but overall he was wasn't great.

League Games : 30
Total chances : 90
Goals scored : 14

For me, he spurns too many gilt-edged chances.

A prime example is the chance he had at Liverpool last week when the score was 2-2...Kolarov played an excellent low ball into the box and Dzeko from 6yrds out missed the target by miles. Even against QPR this week...Dzeko's initial shot for the goal that Tevez scored was heading nearer the corner flag than the goal.

I like Dzeko, but I wouldn't want to rely on him for goals for a whole season.

danburge82 said:
schfc6 said:
Like him or not, rate him or not the guy scores goals.
He has scored freely for City and did so in Germany.
Last season he got 14 goals in 16 starts. That's just 6 less than Tevez won the golden boot with the season before. He is our forth choice striker and he is easily capable getting 15-20 PL goals a season from open play. He doesn't take free kicks or penalties which bump up other players tallys.

The season Tevez won the golden boot he scored 20 Prem oals. He must have scored at least 4 pens that season and the odd free kick.
Don't get me wrong Tevez is far superior to Dzeko, I just think Edin deserves a little less flack. I personally don't think he could be bettered as a 4th choice striker. His attitude seems good, he seems happy and he scores goals.

In the last 75 top flight games he has started he has scored 50 goals in two top leagues. How much would it cost to get a player with a goals return that consistent?
If he played for Bayern or Athletico and was their main striker he would be scoring as freely as Falcao or Gomez.

He may not be the most gifted, but he scores goals.

I don't especially rate him, I do like him and hope he does well.
There is a Bayern fan who posts on Bluemoon sometimes who says that Edin is a better player than Gomez.
from what i've seen he is miles better than him, Gomez is shit

Ell-ano said:
danburge82 said:
schfc6 said:
Like him or not, rate him or not the guy scores goals.
He has scored freely for City and did so in Germany.
Last season he got 14 goals in 16 starts. That's just 6 less than Tevez won the golden boot with the season before. He is our forth choice striker and he is easily capable getting 15-20 PL goals a season from open play. He doesn't take free kicks or penalties which bump up other players tallys.

The season Tevez won the golden boot he scored 20 Prem oals. He must have scored at least 4 pens that season and the odd free kick.
Don't get me wrong Tevez is far superior to Dzeko, I just think Edin deserves a little less flack. I personally don't think he could be bettered as a 4th choice striker. His attitude seems good, he seems happy and he scores goals.

In the last 75 top flight games he has started he has scored 50 goals in two top leagues. How much would it cost to get a player with a goals return that consistent?
If he played for Bayern or Athletico and was their main striker he would be scoring as freely as Falcao or Gomez.

He may not be the most gifted, but he scores goals.

I don't especially rate him, I do like him and hope he does well.
There is a Bayern fan who posts on Bluemoon sometimes who says that Edin is a better player than Gomez.
from what i've seen he is miles better than him, Gomez is shit

Nice guy; trier, and all that, but, the disappointing thing is that he was supposedly a £27m striker, and therefore special, but more often than not, he looks overpriced by about £20m. When he's bad, he's very, very bad, and on the whole, I think that we do cut him plenty of slack because he is a trier.

lets just say his first touch is very similar to that
of a baby elephant, but get a decent cross into
the box and more often that not he will bang it in,

I like Edin - he didn't 'need' to score 20-25 last season because Sergio did and others contributed to our success too. He does pop up and score crucial goals and he's made a decent start goalscoring wise this year. I thought he might go in the summer but he's still with us so his commitment cannot be doubted. Let's get behind him not use him as an easy target

As we won the Title on Goal Difference, Edin's 4 goals at Tottenham were just as vital as Yaya's second at Newcastle or Johnson's goal at Norwich.

Two goals in three League games so far this season. Hardly a disaster.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.