can we see some youth please

Only if they're good enough.

Best option is to loan them out to other Prem sides, with recall clauses, so they can develop and make mistakes for someone else without costing us points.

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
Ray78 said:
Arsenal and Wenger has a 19 year head start over us in terms of youth development.
??
we've always had a youth team , one of the best in the country for producing players for a few years i.e. sturridge, johnson. Apart from gibbs and wilshire arsenal haven't really produced anyone else. Arsenal dont have a head start at all we've produced more and better quality players imo for a few years now.

I am not knocking what we have done in the past (Jim Cassel had to rebuild the youth team from scratch and deserves credit). Arsenal had brought through the likes Fabregas (he did play a few youth team games along with his sporadic appearances for the first team during his development) , Szczęsny (it is open to debate whether he is a top keeper but he did play in their academy) during their time amongst the top english clubs.

Jack Wills said:
Only if they're good enough.

Best option is to loan them out to other Prem sides, with recall clauses, so they can develop and make mistakes for someone else without costing us points.

I agree with that.

Am I sick and tired of this boring "lets give the kids a chance". It's become an obsession with some posters. Yes it would be wonderful if we had a Messi comin through but we haven't. Point 1. I do not want any risk taking with our trophy challenging just so some of you can get some kudos from blooding a youth player. We are not the MCFC of ten years ago where youth players helped the club overcome its financial shortcomings, the MCFC now is in the business of winning trophies at every opportunity. Does anyone actually think that the likes of Aguero and Silva and the like came to this club too feel great about themselves because we brought three youth players into the team, no, they came to win trophies on a regular basis. Point 2, our owners would put up with a season like this if we had blood the likes of Denayer etc., no I dont think they would and neither would I. Now I've had a taste of winning I want it all the time, putting young kids in the squad would set us back years, trophy less years. Point 3, can we rid this misconception that Pozo was played out of position in the first team, no he wasn't as anyone who watches the EDS would concur, he has played that position all season for EDS. the fact is he's not quite good enough just like Lee Croft and Dennis Suarez and Willo Flood all of who were championed by fans who never saw them in the youth teams but thought they were good enough for the first team. They just didn't cut it, end of. Point 4, you look at the way Chelsea demolished the best we had to offer last week, physically bigger, technically better, motivated better and they can't get a look in and then why do our lads stand in that equation, do you honestly think that Angelino who got ripped apart by Abrahams would cut it at the moment against even better opposition? Not a chance and I like the kid but he is way off, he's not even in the same ball park as Clichy or Kolarov. No for me, I pay to watch City win things now, I've served my 40 year apprentiship, I want the good times to continue and that means buying the best out there.

RVZ Urmston said:
Am I sick and tired of this boring "lets give the kids a chance". It's become an obsession with some posters. Yes it would be wonderful if we had a Messi comin through but we haven't. Point 1. I do not want any risk taking with our trophy challenging just so some of you can get some kudos from blooding a youth player. We are not the MCFC of ten years ago where youth players helped the club overcome its financial shortcomings, the MCFC now is in the business of winning trophies at every opportunity. Does anyone actually think that the likes of Aguero and Silva and the like came to this club too feel great about themselves because we brought three youth players into the team, no, they came to win trophies on a regular basis. Point 2, our owners would put up with a season like this if we had blood the likes of Denayer etc., no I dont think they would and neither would I. Now I've had a taste of winning I want it all the time, putting young kids in the squad would set us back years, trophy less years. Point 3, can we rid this misconception that Pozo was played out of position in the first team, no he wasn't as anyone who watches the EDS would concur, he has played that position all season for EDS. the fact is he's not quite good enough just like Lee Croft and Dennis Suarez and Willo Flood all of who were championed by fans who never saw them in the youth teams but thought they were good enough for the first team. They just didn't cut it, end of. Point 4, you look at the way Chelsea demolished the best we had to offer last week, physically bigger, technically better, motivated better and they can't get a look in and then why do our lads stand in that equation, do you honestly think that Angelino who got ripped apart by Abrahams would cut it at the moment against even better opposition? Not a chance and I like the kid but he is way off, he's not even in the same ball park as Clichy or Kolarov. No for me, I pay to watch City win things now, I've served my 40 year apprentiship, I want the good times to continue and that means buying the best out there.

Absolutely this, 100% agree.

RVZ Urmston said:

I think what many do not understand is that bringing through youth takes a lot of effort and time. It isn't about just chucking them through 10 years of academy level football and then they are suddenly ready for the first team. The simple fact is and this goes for every single academy in the country, the 90%+ majority of them won't make it because of either their attitude or they just will never be good enough. Most academies aren't there purely to bring through players anyway they are there to bring a stream of underlying revenue.

If you look at any other top 4 club, how many of them have brought through say 2/3 players from their own academies to an elite standard? Not a single one. Chelsea bought their entire team, we bought our entire team, United bought their entire team, Arsenal bought their entire team. Other clubs in Europe are now looking to youth because of FFP, especially the Italian clubs and traditional youth example clubs like Ajax, all at the expense of success however.

Unfortunately the world does not work the way people want it to and bringing through youth is always pot luck unless the scouting system, training system and path to first team is world class throughout and then you get lucky again. A lot of people compare us to Barcelona, Barcelona had a freak couple of years and got their recruitment right very early. If you look at their team now though you could certainly argue that where are all the replacements for Iniesta, Messi and the like considering they have such a so called world class academy system? No, instead they bought Suarez, they bought Neymar all because their youth teams aren't good enough either. The only real exception to this is Germany and teams like Bayern but I think again they just have a top quality cycle of players coming in at just the right time like Spain did 5 years ago.

Bringing through world class youth players is all about scouting first to find the raw talent and then having the best system in place afterwards to prepare them for first team football. After that, the quality you bring through is total pot luck - unfortunately none of it so far has been good enough to produce a player of enough quality for our first team. I'm sure a few will come along but I certainly would not bet on us ever seeing an entire City team featuring pure academy bred players, not unless you want to sacrifice trophies anyway.

RVZ Urmston said:

Good post but IMHO you are missing part of the point:
A) if Denayer was good enough for our squad this year then we may well have been able to afford the driving force midfielder like Pogba, we have clearly lacked. Instead our money went on Ferando and Mangala.

B) our youth team were outplayed and outmuscled by Chelsea. They weren't torn apart. I have been to some of the EDS games and it is clear some of our lads have big potential but are feeling the affects of playing many games eg Barker.

C) Arsenal do have homegrown players in their starting line up and Bellerin and Coquelin have arguably been the best players in the league in their positions, in the second half of the season. You would get much change out of £50m for these two (combined) so they are also adding to the value of their clubs

I could take or leave one or more of our youth players getting a run out before the end of the season. Some younger players will need to be given a chance next season (like Lopes) or we will never know if they are good enough.

Jack Wills said:
RVZ Urmston said:

Me too.

mosssideblue said:
Jack Wills said:
RVZ Urmston said:

Me too.

No way will we see youth from those playing in the academy now coming though next year.Hopefully the 3 on loan might get the green light,me personally i think 2 will break through Lopez/Denyer with Rekik maybe playing on loan in the championship o r spain

RVZ Urmston said:

Agree with most of this but unfortunately many are in the PL squad on reputation only and new expensive players are still not justifying their fee.
What solution do you suggest for the future if this trend continues ? Will new expensive players change the slide ?

In a previous post I suggested that this thread would simply not exist if the current PL squad was operating in a way that we assume they are capable of. It was almost In desperation that I think the OP started this thread because of the problems of performance against any motivated team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.