"Captain Tom" charity | Watchdog to review accounts

Why is Tom Moore a great man ? The media and the British public made him into some sort of hero. He supposedly walked around his back garden a bit, the bbc/sky filmed it and we sent him millions.
Now we seem to be upset that it turns out his family may have spent some of the money themselves.

You're misunderstanding what I posted. What I said was nothing to do with other charities and was actually in response to the poster who thought it was wrong for people to express an opinion about someone - in other words, he was implying that everyone on this forum and elsewhere isn't allowed to say whether we think someone is guilty or not of wrongdoing. It always makes me laugh when I see posters complaining about the "court of Bluemoon". It's not like we're going to be the ones standing on the jury of whatever topic/crime we're discussing. Even to this day, we see wailing and gnashing of teeth on here because some posters committed the cardinal sin of daring to suggest that Jo Yeats' landlord might've been guilty of her murder. I mean, the police had arrested him on suspicion of that exact crime so they too thought the same at the time.
All very well but Bluemooners had ZERO evidence about Jo Yeats case.

Why is Tom Moore a great man ? The media and the British public made him into some sort of hero. He supposedly walked around his back garden a bit, the bbc/sky filmed it and we sent him millions.
Now we seem to be upset that it turns out his family may have spent some of the money themselves.
I reckon that walk round the garden was CGI and he was in on this from the start. Never trusted him.

I think these types of figures typically have good intentions but ultimately their campaigns are picked up and promoted as a kind of salve to our consciences and to allow us to feel like we are doing our bit. We get behind a figure like Tom Moore, hopefully some good is achieved and we get to feel like we are not passively walking by. It's easy and it makes us feel better about ourselves, a bit like coming out and clapping for the NHS. It does also mean though that we can push the more complex and difficult questions (both moral and logistical) that often surround these issues to the back of our minds and decide not to confront them. I think most of us, myself included, do this; it takes extraordinary people or extraordinary circumstances to really face into issues rather than administer a sticking plaster and then look the other way. I thought that the pandemic might constitute those extraordinary circumstances but it seems probably not.

Last edited:
I think these types of figures typically have good intentions but ultimately their campaigns are picked up and promoted as a kind of salve to our consciences and to allow us to feel like we are doing our bit. We get behind a figure like Tom Moore, hopefully some good is achieved and we get to feel like we are not passively walking by. It's easy and it makes us feel better about ourselves, a bit like coming out and clapping for the NHS. It does also mean though that we can push the more complex and difficult questions (both moral and logistical) that often surround these issues to the back of our minds and decide not to confront them. I think most of us myself included do this, it takes extraordinary people or extraordinary circumstances to really face into issues rather than administer a sticking plaster and then look the other way. I thought that the pandemic might constitute those extraordinary circumstances but it seems probably not.
I tried to say that, you have summed up what I wanted to say, thank you.
He was knighted because it was good government PR which fits in with what you said.

There's a Spa Man waiting in the sky
604394ad896faa3510814e447fc45648.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.