Cardiff Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

Re: Cardiff Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

If we are going to play wide and cross the ball ( surely the reason we bought Navas , and a constant complaint on this thread about Clichy's lack in this department) then we have to start Negredo . I was looking forward to Dzeko becoming the player we wanted him to be , and while his spirit and attitude have improved , I fear that we have seen no improvement in his skill and ability.
In two cameo appearances Negredo has been on the end of crosses ( one wrongly disallowed ) and has caused defenders problems mostly through his physical presence. I think Dzeko looks a little frail and indecisive in comparison.
Meantime , I see the relentless scapegoating of Garcia continues unabated - correct me if I'm wrong , but I didn't see him being responsible for any of their goals , but it seems that the real villains of the piece are above criticism ( we all know who was responsible ) and I love the guy too , but let's try to be objective .

Britpop95 said:
i♥city! said:
As much as Navas has been praised for his pace , i think he does little or nothing to help cover for Zabba when he comes forward and this is where we need someone like Milner . Navas is a great player but i think he should be used against teams that play open , free flowing attacking games , teams like Swansea , Chelsea , Newcastle , Arsenal while Milner should play against teams that sit back and wait to hit on the counter , a style of play that's seems to be favoured by the newly promoted teams i.e Cardiff

Well good luck if you think Navas will do his share of defensive work - as far as i've seen he's an old fashioned attacking winger where defending doesn't come into the equation. I agree though that he should be used tactically against specific teams as he'll pose much more of a complete threat that way.

You not seen him play before then

bobmcfc said:
Marvin said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
imo it might sound stupid but i think we are missing an english core to our team, players that love the club and will put the club first, not sayign we dont have players like that btw ie zaba, kompany, but we are missing that drive in our team imo

Chelsea have terry and lampard, United- ferdinand, carrick, giggs, welbeck , liverpool- gerrard.

only an opinion btw ;)
Doesn't sound stupid.

Drive was missing and that was the key feature for me, but I think it's irrelevant what nationality the players are. I just want to see players with the Mike Doyle spirit.

The players could do little wrong for me last season - now I'm starting to think they are the mercenaries the papers always claimed
It does because our English players were pretty shite on the whole

Bridge -shite
Barry - was good now considered.... Wait for it..... Shite
Lescott - pretty shite
Sinclair - lol

I will give you Milner and to some degree rodwell if he can stay fit but on the whole overseas players are vastly superior
But 50% of the point was that drive is the issue with the current squad's failings. Utd were 11 points better than us because they had the drive which took a "lesser" squad way above us. In fact "desire" and will to win is just as important as any other quality which I why it is stupid to look at City's and Utd's team on paper and assume ours is better. Their players have learned to always be up for it.

We were told the deficiency was down to Mancini. Should have backed him and got rid of the players who weren't prepared to do it all over again

Based on this performance I think zaba,clichy,and toure should all b dropped for the next game,guess they will stop taking there role for granted after that

grim up north said:
Britpop95 said:
i♥city! said:
As much as Navas has been praised for his pace , i think he does little or nothing to help cover for Zabba when he comes forward and this is where we need someone like Milner . Navas is a great player but i think he should be used against teams that play open , free flowing attacking games , teams like Swansea , Chelsea , Newcastle , Arsenal while Milner should play against teams that sit back and wait to hit on the counter , a style of play that's seems to be favoured by the newly promoted teams i.e Cardiff

Well good luck if you think Navas will do his share of defensive work - as far as i've seen he's an old fashioned attacking winger where defending doesn't come into the equation. I agree though that he should be used tactically against specific teams as he'll pose much more of a complete threat that way.

You not seen him play before then

I've seen him probably no more or less than you have. He hugs the byline and is very offensive rather than defensive from what i've seen but i'll be more than happy to give an updated opinion on him after a few more games.

Tired and gutted but at least Pellers got chance to see the problems early in the season.

Just shows importance of set pieces. Cardiff had 3 and scored 2 from corners. We had 8 and zilch. We are pretty bad at corners

teddykgb said:
taconinja said:
BillyShears said:
Very disappointing. Thought we tried hard enough, but simply didn't show enough quality in midfield or up front. Too many sideways passes, not enough incisive play. Tempo was a huge problem again. All in all, far too reminiscent of last season.

On the plus side you'd think Pellegrini has now seen all our weaknesses at first hand.
I think it was telling that Dzeko went out and suddenly our link-up play was vastly improved. I realize this will have a certain contingent of our fans frothing at the mouth with rage, but it's true. And for that contingent, yes I know he scored the goal, but he needed a lot better movement to create space so players could deliver the ball to him. I would not be surprised to see Negredo soon starting.

Commence the abuse.

You really think our link up play got better in the 2nd half? I'm trying to weed through all the people who are just moaning and saying regrettable things, and I find this idea interesting. I saw it totally the other way, thought we were much more effective in the 1st half and completely fell apart late, from link up to just about any and all phases of the game.

I'd be interested in why you felt that way, reasonable minds can disagree.
To clarify only in the final third. In the first two-thirds of the match our link up play was spotty over most of the pitch and abysmal in the final third. It wasn't just Dzeko either. Zabaleta and Clichy didn't make much in the way of any kind of daring runs. Navas, Silva, and later Nasri had little to work with. Aguero was inconsistent but you could see he was frustrated because he and his strike partner weren't on the same page. That's on both of them, but it certainly was better once Negredo came on.

Mind, I'm not defending the overall game. The players were awful.

I have purposely delayed posting as I was fuming earlier but I'm calm now (well calmer anyway).

Poor display all round really today.
Thought all 4 at the back were poor today, Garcia is easy to pick on but the others were just as poor. Clichy and Zabaleta both had an off day. For their first goal Clichy gave their lad far to much room to get the ball in and Zabaleta didn't track Campbell. Also Zabaleta fell asleep for the 3rd as well. The Richards and Zabaleta debate is aclose run thing but Richards playing today and know way do they score the third. Campbell wouldn't have had that much room or even the ability to out jump Richards.

Kompany was a huge miss, and actually so was Kolo Toure. We lacked leadership and organisation today Kolo was an excellent back up plan.

Today hurt and the management and players need to make sure this is an isolated performance.

Oh and one more thing, first thing Monday morning we need to and buy a quality CB.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.