Cardiff Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

Re: Cardiff Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

Ribs said:
I thought we were average but I think the new recruits got a taste of what it's like breaking down a team that were parking the bus and chasing hard. Fernandinho didn't handle it well.

Once again Yaya put in a pretty soft shift so not sure why he gets the armband in Vince's absence.

The thing that annoyed me most though was the way we allowed Cardiff to slow play. Given they were closing down and chasing hard, we needed to keep the game going but at times Edin or Yaya were lying on the ground moaning about a nothing challenge while the Cardiff team took the opportunity to have a breather and a drink. I'd say the whole Cardiff team had a drinks break 3 or 4 times during the first half alone.

Pants needs to come in for Joe for one game at the very least to give Joe a kick up the arse and I'm hoping Negredo replaced Dzeko because of injury because we really needed both of them on for that last 20 minutes. Kun is a little ineffective against teams parking the bus.

Agree with all of that except I thought we were very very below average.

That sort of effort game plan and marking at set pieces will result in a loss nearly all of time against any opposition in the premiership.

I really hope its the last one we see this year because if its not we have buckley's of competing for a top 6 spot let alone a title.

Ribs said:
I thought we were average but I think the new recruits got a taste of what it's like breaking down a team that were parking the bus and chasing hard. Fernandinho didn't handle it well.

Once again Yaya put in a pretty soft shift so not sure why he gets the armband in Vince's absence.

The thing that annoyed me most though was the way we allowed Cardiff to slow play. Given they were closing down and chasing hard, we needed to keep the game going but at times Edin or Yaya were lying on the ground moaning about a nothing challenge while the Cardiff team took the opportunity to have a breather and a drink. I'd say the whole Cardiff team had a drinks break 3 or 4 times during the first half alone.

Pants needs to come in for Joe for one game at the very least to give Joe a kick up the arse and I'm hoping Negredo replaced Dzeko because of injury because we really needed both of them on for that last 20 minutes. Kun is a little ineffective against teams parking the bus.

Negredo didn't replace Dzeko because of injury. Prior to Dzeko getting his chin cut, you could see on TV that 4th official had the sub sign ready with " 9 in 10 out" on it... Injury just coincided with the timing of the substitution.

shadowyu said:
Ribs said:

Negredo didn't replace Dzeko because of injury. Prior to Dzeko getting his chin cut, you could see on TV that 4th official had the sub sign ready with " 9 in 10 out" on it... Injury just coincided with the timing of the substitution.

If that's the case it was a disappointing substitution. Taking off Jesus and Edin certainly didn't help things. I thought we would've learnt last year that tippy tappy is ineffective and that wide players putting the balls into tall strikers was the plan B. Removing Plan B while introducing tippy tappy Nasri in that situation seems pretty stupid to me.

Please allow me to inject some positivity into this thread!

I seem to have seen the game a little differently to most on here.

I have to say congratulations to Cardiff but from memory you could sum up their entire attacking contribution to the game with:
-One good goal
-Winning a couple of corners
-One long range shot straight at Hart
-Two chances from pretty rank passes that anyone other than Garcia would have dealt with

I have read a couple of match reports saying that Cardiff were superb but this is wide of the mark. I must say the effort they put into the game was remarkable and they were helped by a number of lengthy stoppages in play and the mind-boggling handball decision against Silva (when it rolled across his shoulder) just as he was about to tee up a shot! But that is exactly how to play us. You can't let us have the ball as Newcastle found out!

I didn't think we did a whole lot wrong all in all. This was not like Southampton away! We played with much more freedom and invention than that but it just didn't quite come off. We didn't seem to consistently press the ball and I don't think we moved the ball quick enough particularly at the back. In Garcia we do seem to have found the only Spaniard who isn't comfortable on the ball and as we all know this is Lescott's weakness. When you have two poor ball playing centre backs like that you find that Yaya and Fernandinho have to drop back to receive the ball when they could be receiving it in more advanced positions. Nastasic and Rekik are both very good at that pass that breaks the midfield line, as is Kompany to a slightly lesser extent. Haven't seen much of Demechelis but I would imagine this is part of the thinking.

I think the goals were uncharacteristic but for the first goal Clichy had to do much better than that. Kyim wasn't moving at speed and there was plenty of cover inside him. A simple slide would have stopped the cross. No idea what happened with the corners but I'm sure we'll sort that out.

But the positives for me were:
- Dzeko looks good still. Great to see him playing with confidence finally!
- We completely dominated possession and won the ball back quickly at times. Our general play was pretty good!
- Fernandinho is a much more progressive passer than Barry and Garcia and leaves us less exposed on the break with his pressing. He will, I reckon, prove to be a better player than Paulinho
- More people are running in behind. This was a big problem last year. Unfortunately Yaya wasn't able to find them today.
- Navas will improve. He's a little bundle of positivity (exact opposite of Nasri)
- I can't remember Aguero slipping once!

I believe we are the strongest team in the prem this year. Chelsea look decent but were really poor against Villa and deserved to lose. They lack creativity from deep and I think that will cost them this year. Take Van Persie out of United's team and you're not left with much. They allow teams to have a lot of the ball and that will mean dropped points in an improving league.

Think positively!

Not sure if this has been touched on but its a positive, imo, that we are 2 games in. Scored 6 and all scorers have been different. I know pellegrini said he wanted the whole team to be scoring and 6 different scorers in 2 games isn't bad

AntiUnited said:
HAHAHAH what clowns stop overreacting the scum got shat on by Everton early on last season and still won the league. Just move on

Sherlock,

Everton ≠ Cardiff.

i have no idea what has been said in the last 97 pages as i wanted to keep an open mind

the positive aspects of mondays performance were just not there yesterday

we were back to the pedestrian possession from last season, why coundn't we press high yesterday and play with the high tempo??

i couldn't see any reason not to do this

the shocking defending at set pieces needs close attention, stoke is the next away game and we know what to expect there

a slap in the face we didn't want but lets hope its wake up call for the team and manager

Seriously i've never seen a bigger bunch of cry babys as fans on any forum to date just because you got beat by us take it on the chin thats football. Its shows all the money in the world on a team means nothing in some games, you will be up there in the top two come may while we on the other hand will take anything above the bottom three if im being realistic.
Online forums get some rite whoppers posting on them but the reaction in this thread about some of your players yesterday and slagging us off is rather cringeworthy and all over ONE game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.