Central heating, 24/7 during winter ?

When I walk in the gaff from a hard days toil I open the door and the heat from inside hits you like when the plane doors open when on me hols she then winges when the gas/elec bills come silly fucker will never learn!

If you have a hole in your bucket do you keep filling it with water?

I've heard the same before, and read some energy site recently that says just use the heat when you need it. It takes more energy keeping a space consistently warm, than it does to heat it from it's coldest.

If you have timers on your central heating then turn it low or off when you go to work and have it come on an hour before you return. Set it low when you kip too if you can

-- Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:51 pm --

Pigeonho said:
So last night the house was snug as fuck, so I thought. Thermostat set to 21 but what does she do? She comes in and turns that dial up so it was past the 25 mark. My eyes had that resigned 'oh fuck' look about them as I watched my hard earned vanish as the boiler started to heat the house up another four fucking degrees.

21 is fine, right? No one wants to be in a house set at 25 fucking degrees, surely?

I like mine 20-22, but my wife does the same and cranks it to 24. I'm sure women feel the cold more than men. She tried doing that at bed time, but I set it around 16-18 during the night. Start it back up when we awaken

Well at last something Im qualified to answer :)

Ive been a HVAC mech des engineer for 30 years and I can tell you that Martin is correct, if your going to work for 8 or 9 hours, turn it off half an hour before you leave and have it come on half an hour before you are due in, its makes absolutely no sense to 'leave it on low' although the cat will obviously disagree

What about pensioners? If you are a pensioner that sits in the house all day and maybe goes out for a bit of something from the shop or to put a bet on or maybe a beer in the evening. . is it better to keep turning it on and off ?

Andy Dale said:
What about pensioners? If you are a pensioner that sits in the house all day and maybe goes out for a bit of something from the shop or to put a bet on or maybe a beer in the evening. . is it better to keep turning it on and off ?

no Andy, in that respect its best to keep it running but turn it down a degree or three when you go out

nimrod said:
Andy Dale said:

no Andy, in that respect its best to keep it running but turn it down a degree or three when you go out

What if you have followed this procedure and come in - let's say from tending to an elderly aunt in Audenshaw suffering from reduced mobility due to ingrowing toenails - but immediately realised that you have forgotten you have an Armenian language conversation class and have to go straight out again? Bear in mind that one might also be trying to defrost a multipack of ling fillets whilst storing a haddock terrine at room temperature in the front parlour. Is it off, down - and by how many degrees -or open a window and stuff the chances of a burglar invading the property and making off with the wireless and a hoard of bulging nets of chocolate gold doubloons ready for Christmas morning?

One of the most efficient methods of heating is a heat pump air cond split system (reverse cycle model) in heating mode they can give a COP of 3.5 to 1, that means that every kilowatt of electricity it uses it will give you 3.5 KW of heat out, as opposed to a bar on an electric fire which gives only 1 KW of heat out for every KW it uses, unfortunaly these AC units dont work that well when it gets to say -5 deg C outside, but if you can afford to have one installed in you living area it would be cheaper than using the Gas CH system for a lot of the winter and if you get a heat wave in summer it will air condition your living areas....they also have the added bonus of fan forced warm air (ie quick response) but you cant hang your wet washing on them :)

nimrod said:
One of the most efficient methods of heating is a heat pump air cond split system (reverse cycle model) in heating mode they can give a COP of 3.5 to 1, that means that every kilowatt of electricity it uses it will give you 3.5 KW of heat out, as opposed to a bar on an electric fire which gives only 1 KW of heat out for every KW it uses, unfortunaly these AC units dont work that well when it gets to say -5 deg C outside, but if you can afford to have one installed in you living area it would be cheaper than using the Gas CH system for a lot of the winter and if you get a heat wave in summer it will air condition your living areas....they also have the added bonus of fan forced warm air (ie quick response) but you cant hang your wet washing on them :)

As I am someone who is always tinkering about with gaffer tape and melamine offcuts, would you say that if I was to come up with some sort of ingenious device that could dry clothes and be fitted to such an appliance to which you refer, do you think I could be on to a real money spinner?

sweynforkbeard said:
nimrod said:
Andy Dale said:

What if you have followed this procedure and come in - let's say from tending to an elderly aunt in Audenshaw suffering from reduced mobility due to ingrowing toenails - but immediately realised that you have forgotten you have an Armenian language conversation class and have to go straight out again? Bear in mind that one might also be trying to defrost a multipack of ling fillets whilst storing a haddock terrine at room temperature in the front parlour. Is it off, down - and by how many degrees -or open a window and stuff the chances of a burglar invading the property and making off with the wireless and a hoard of bulging nets of chocolate gold doubloons ready for Christmas morning?

those of you who are playing in the match this afternoon move your clothes
down on to the lower peg immediately after lunch before you
write your letter home, if you're not getting your hair cut,
unless you've got a younger brother who is going out this
weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case collect his
note before lunch, put it in your letter after you've had your
hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the
lower peg for you.

Wymer: Sir?

Headmaster: Yes, Wymer?

Wymer: My younger brother's going out with Dibble this weekend,
sir, but I'm not having my hair cut today sir, so do I move my
clothes down or...

Headmaster: I do wish you'd listen, Wymer, it's perfectly simple.
If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move
your brother's clothes down to the lower peg, you simply
collect his note before lunch after you've done your scripture
prep when you've written your letter home before rest, move
your own clothes on to the lower peg, greet the visitors, and
report to Mr Viney that you've had your chit signed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.