Centre-back

r.soleofsalford said:
Rammyblues said:
Probably not when you take a cold hard look at the players, puts an awful amount of pressure on Komps and Martin. Everyone else seems to give 18s and 19 year old the chance you only have to look at Barkley and Shaw. It would be nice for one of the young uns to come through and be in the first team. I dunno just glad we have experts in charge rather than amateur like myself. :-)

everyone else ?

those "everyone else" clubs finished 14 points and 30 points behind us and didnt play C/L football and were knocked out at earlier rounds of the Carling and FA cups.

Totally agree. Hopefully after preseason we send the lad back on loan to further develop him as a player. An established International class CB is a must this summer for me.

I think the clamour for a CB was not needed and people forget Nasty is not an inexperienced kid anymore or how good he was last year when we conceded the least goals in the prem, if he is over his injury worries we are well set at CB with Vinny MDM Nasty Rekik

Mancitybluemoon1 said:
City convinced by new Dutch star

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sportinastorm.com/Premier-League/Manchester-City/City-convinced-by-new-Dutch-star/X1Y47Z1770277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sportinastorm.com/Premier-Le ... 47Z1770277</a>

City have told Dutch starlet Karim Rekik they aren't planning to loan him out again and want him in the first-team squad next season. The 19-year-old defender spent last season on loan with PSV Eindhoven and his form was impressive enough to receive a call-up for the Netherlands. Rekik has come through City's academy and was willing to stay in Holland for another season, but has now been told to report for pre-season training at the Etihad Stadium. The teenager also qualifies as both 'homegrown' and 'club trained'. The Premier League champions believe Rekik is now ready to make the final step up and also help meet their squad quota requirements. The news will be a blow to West Bromwich Albion and Southampton as both clubs were showing interest in a season-long loan deal for the City centre-back.
Surely if he's only 19, we won't have any need to allocate a place for him in the squad quota?

I'm no cynic said:
Mancitybluemoon1 said:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sportinastorm.com/Premier-League/Manchester-City/City-convinced-by-new-Dutch-star/X1Y47Z1770277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sportinastorm.com/Premier-Le ... 47Z1770277</a>

City have told Dutch starlet Karim Rekik they aren't planning to loan him out again and want him in the first-team squad next season. The 19-year-old defender spent last season on loan with PSV Eindhoven and his form was impressive enough to receive a call-up for the Netherlands. Rekik has come through City's academy and was willing to stay in Holland for another season, but has now been told to report for pre-season training at the Etihad Stadium. The teenager also qualifies as both 'homegrown' and 'club trained'. The Premier League champions believe Rekik is now ready to make the final step up and also help meet their squad quota requirements. The news will be a blow to West Bromwich Albion and Southampton as both clubs were showing interest in a season-long loan deal for the City centre-back.
Surely if he's only 19, we won't have any need to allocate a place for him in the squad quota?

He doesn't i think they mean when he's 21 he'll count as home grown and club trained?

cityboy1 said:
I'm no cynic said:
Mancitybluemoon1 said:

He doesn't i think they mean when he's 21 he'll count as home grown and club trained?
That's what the article should be saying, but it's closing statement that there will be no loan deals would seem to indicate the reporter doesn't understand the rules!

Rorz88 said:
Kompany playing left side of the centre backs today by the way boys

I would argue that's because the idea that a player is exclusively a "left-sided" or "right-sided" centre back is a myth, and a silly one at that. World class players seem to be just fine playing their exact same position but shifting a few feet over.

Tron Coltrane said:
Rorz88 said:

I would argue that's because the idea that a player is exclusively a "left-sided" or "right-sided" centre back is a myth, and a silly one at that. World class players seem to be just fine playing their exact same position but shifting a few feet over.
Then you are wrong. Most CB's have a prefered side in which they are far, far more proficient. It's not remotely as simple as just "shifting a few feet", it completely changes the angles, the direction of runners you need to worry about and the way you shepherd players.

Just for one example, for a right footed RCB, you're used to shepherding people wide, away from the goal and towards your strong tackling foot. If you did the same at LCB, you'd be showing them inside into shooting position, or if you did the opposite you'd be showing them onto your weaker tackling foot instead. It makes a huge difference to the way you play the game

BigOscar said:
Tron Coltrane said:
Rorz88 said:

Then you are wrong. Most CB's have a prefered side in which they are far, far more proficient. It's not remotely as simple as just "shifting a few feet", it completely changes the angles, the direction of runners you need to worry about and the way you shepherd players.

Just for one example, for a right footed RCB, you're used to shepherding people wide, away from the goal and towards your strong tackling foot. If you did the same at LCB, you'd be showing them inside into shooting position, or if you did the opposite you'd be showing them onto your weaker tackling foot instead. It makes a huge difference to the way you play the game

Do you have quotes from players talking about their preferences, or are those just cultivated from your intuitive understanding of the players when you see them out there?

Pass me a quote on the subject, or show me a statistical breakdown with a sample size long enough to meaningful -- with Player A performing admirably on one side and poorly on another -- and I'll settle for "Then you are wrong." Until then I don't think I am. Nothing has ever led me to believe I'm wrong. I've been watching the game for awhile and have seen players switch sides seamlessly, over and over, ad nauseum. It just doesn't seem to be a problem except for a few people who prefer to overthink the game and bombard it with analysis.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.