Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

Looking forward to this, not a bad thing to revamp things every now and again. The old format had become a bit stale and we had dead rubbers at the end of the group stage.

Until players start withdrawing from shitty International shite then I'm not arsed about their complaints of too many games.

The Rags for example made themselves unavailable at the end of the season but appeared for the Cup Final.

Hopefully more game time for squad players and avoidance of promising talent having to move on to play (Palmer).

Final is in Munich btw. City v Vinnie, it could happen.

With one match to play (CL Final) the new format champions league is beginning to take shape.

We will be in the highest seeded pot of nine teams along with Bayern, Real Madrid, PSG, Liverpool. Inter Milan, Dortmund, Leipzig and Barcelona.

Under the new format we will play two of those teams along with two seeded 10 to 18. two seeded 19 to 27 and two seeded 28 to 36.

As England has four qualified teams we can also play one of the other three Arsenal, Liverpool or Aston Villa.

You play eight league matches four at home and four away against eight different teams.

With our luck we will probably end up with Bayern, Real Madrid, Athletico Madrid and Arsenal plus four others.

Points are awarded as at present and the top eight teams out of the 36 go through to the knock out stages.

Teams placed 9th to 16th play the teams placed 17th to 24th on a two legged system with the higher ranked teams playing the return leg at home. The winners then play one of the already qualified teams home and away in the first knock out round.

This adds an extra two matches to the already insane schedule, no wonder players are contemplating going on strike.
"Points are awarded as at present and the top eight teams out of the 36 go through to the knock out stages"

Is that the top two from each of the 4 leagues, or the top 8 overall, based on points gained.?

"Points are awarded as at present and the top eight teams out of the 36 go through to the knock out stages"

Is that the top two from each of the 4 leagues, or the top 8 overall, based on points gained.?
My understanding is that it is just one big 36 team league and the matches are just subdivided into 4 sections as opposed to groups.

There is only one ‘league’. Going to take a bit of getting used to as everyone doesn’t play everyone else. Draw will be all important.

@Gray beat me to it ;)

I don't really understand it this time if I'm being honest, and I had a good understanding on it previously.

If everyone ends up playing two teams from each Pot, surely there is no advantage to being in Pot 1? I don't get it.

Is there any determination for who we play at home and who we play away or is that determined "randomly" by UEFA after the draw?

I'm still monitoring who is qualifying as I'm always interested in new trips, but perplexed at how it will work.

Current pots assuming team with highest coefficient wins each qualifier.

1000019287.png

Teams in bold are definitely in the group stage, others have to qualify.

Might change slightly if Dortmund win tomorrow (Frankfurt would go from Europa League into Champions League).

View attachment 120831

Might change slightly if Dortmund win tomorrow (Frankfurt would go from Europa League into Champions League).
Well done mate, I love your Champions League stuff, I am an amateur by comparison.

View attachment 120831

Me again. How did you get the co-efficients for teams that have gone none previously?

They needed to try something different. At least there might be a couple of decent games in the group stage. As it is at present it’s boring as fuck until the last 8.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.