Champions League Draw Barca 18th Feb (H) & 12th Mar (A)

Re: The round of 16 Champions League (Merged)

afc16 said:
seeing as arsenal and city are in the same boat (finished 2nd so could play pretty much any of the best teams in europe) i'll just post this here:

if you avoid these teams in the last 16 by finishing top of your group, the chances are you'll get them in the last 8 or last 4. bottom line is your going to get them, and its not gonna be any easier playing them in last 8 or last 4 compared to playing them in last 16.

all it means is you might get 1 round further before potentially being knocked out by a better team.

to me it doesn't really matter, i've never understood the reaction at finishing 2nd.

its not as if you've avoided playing the top teams forever is it? you've just delayed it by a round.

maybe with city i can understand as you need to improve your coefficient in europe so the further you go, even its just 1 round further, the better. arsenal don't need to worry about that so unless we win the thing i couldn't care less if we get knocked out in last 16/

anyway i would much rather be looking forward to a glamour tie against barca/madrid/bayern then a shit game against Olympiakos or zenit.

none of this means i wouldn't have preffered to finish 1st, but not to the extent that i'm going to worry or get angry about it.

its got nothing to do with improving our uefa co-efficient , over 2 legs we dont fear anyone , and have proved we are genuine contenders to win the champs league ,

We have a better chance of beating any of them over two legs than coming back from 2 goals down in Munich. So what the hell, let's give it a rip. If it turns out that we aren't good enough, then we get to focus on the league.

Re: Who would you want in the round of 16? (Champions League)

greasedupdeafguy said:
Atletico Madrid are probably the weakest out of the sides who will win the group so them.

You are so wrong.

PSG or Dortmund for me all the way. I think if we played any of the Spanish sides we'd get tonked.

gmckennasell said:
afc16 said:
seeing as arsenal and city are in the same boat (finished 2nd so could play pretty much any of the best teams in europe) i'll just post this here:

if you avoid these teams in the last 16 by finishing top of your group, the chances are you'll get them in the last 8 or last 4. bottom line is your going to get them, and its not gonna be any easier playing them in last 8 or last 4 compared to playing them in last 16.

all it means is you might get 1 round further before potentially being knocked out by a better team.

to me it doesn't really matter, i've never understood the reaction at finishing 2nd.

its not as if you've avoided playing the top teams forever is it? you've just delayed it by a round.

maybe with city i can understand as you need to improve your coefficient in europe so the further you go, even its just 1 round further, the better. arsenal don't need to worry about that so unless we win the thing i couldn't care less if we get knocked out in last 16/

anyway i would much rather be looking forward to a glamour tie against barca/madrid/bayern then a shit game against Olympiakos or zenit.

none of this means i wouldn't have preffered to finish 1st, but not to the extent that i'm going to worry or get angry about it.

its got nothing to do with improving our uefa co-efficient , over 2 legs we dont fear anyone , and have proved we are genuine contenders to win the champs league ,

what i meant by coefficient is that for city its better progressing as much as you can as you need the points whereas arsenal don't so for us if we get knocked out it doesnt really matter what round its in.

its nothing to do with being contenders or fearing anyone.

also i don't see what you've done in europe to prove anything? (im not saying arsenal have either).

afc16 said:
gmckennasell said:
afc16 said:

what i meant by coefficient is that for city its better progressing as much as you can as you need the points whereas arsenal don't so for us if we get knocked out it doesnt really matter what round its in.

also i don't see what you've done in europe to prove anything? (im not saying arsenal have either).
Think you need coefficients as well because that semi final run you had a few years back won't count from next season.

afc16 said:
gmckennasell said:
afc16 said:

beaten the champions of Europe away with our B team is a start...

Re: Who would you want in the round of 16? (Champions League)

bugsyblue said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
Atletico Madrid are probably the weakest out of the sides who will win the group so them.

You are so wrong.
on paper they probably are. All the sides are so close. The thing going against Atletico is I think their squad might be a bit light, and they might suffer burn out in 2 months time. Not sure though, I know they bought quite a few players in the summer.

The timing of these matches are vital.

The home leg can either fall between:

15/16 Feb: FA Cup 5th Round.
18/19 Feb: CL Last 16 Leg 1.
22 Feb: Stoke(H).

or:

22 Feb: Stoke(H)
25/26 Feb: CL Last 16 Leg 1.
01 Mar: Rags(A).

the 2nd Leg:

08 Mar: Aston Villa(H).
11/12 Mar: CL Last 16 Leg 2.
15 Mar: Hull(A).

or:

15 Mar: Hull(A).
18/19 Mar: CL Last 16 Leg 2.
22 Mar: Fulham(H).

We really want to be drawn in the first week of the February options otherwise we'll have a really big CL game followed by going to the Rags, it also gives us a home banker v Villa before the crucial 2nd leg.

If we play Barca will Leo be back for it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.