Champions League Final | Istanbul Travel - Good to hear routes etc.

How busy do you expect traffic to be on the night after the game?

I'm staying in taksim square and need to be at sabiha airport for 7am on the Sunday.
Would you recommend a taxi from bitaxsi app to get to the airport?
I'll be on my own so don't want anything dodgy
The traffic is always heavy in Taksim, but you don't have to worry about the traffic for your flight at 7 in the morning. You can use the Bitaxi app or Havabüs in Taksim Square, buses to all airports depart from Taksim.

As someone who visited Istanbul, my advice to a lot of you is stay vigilant.

There are a lot of scams going on there and read up about them before you go. Apart from that the city is nice and if you want to eat at the best place/food I have eaten then visit "zübeyir ocakbaşı restaurant"

Me and friends devoured the whole menu. The meat is probably the most tender/juicy I have ever had. My trip to Istanbul has made me not want to ever go back cause of the scams/people but I would go back just for this restaurant. Those damn lamb chops!

Anyway, good luck in the final!
What are the types of scams mate?

Please could you elaborate more on some of the scams and problems you ran into so other fans have a better idea? This is not scaremongering but valued advice from someone who's been before. A lot of our lot get the day trip over or spend time in and around the Irish bar only, I have a feeling this place is going to be a lot bigger than expected and a completely different vibe to other Euro aways. Thanks.
Yes it would be helpful....I am there for five days!

Please could you elaborate more on some of the scams and problems you ran into so other fans have a better idea? This is not scaremongering but valued advice from someone who's been before. A lot of our lot get the day trip over or spend time in and around the Irish bar only, I have a feeling this place is going to be a lot bigger than expected and a completely different vibe to other Euro aways. Thanks.
There are honestly too many to list. If you're in a big group then you're less likely to get pressured into giving money etc. If you're a small group then be careful cause they'll try to use force to be persuasive and make you pay them/intimidate you.

Common basic ones are someone shining your shoe and demanding you pay them money without you asking.

If you're at a bar, someone will offer to buy u a drink and then youll have a convo. They'll give some fake story about being a tourist or wanting friends (They'll seem genuine and believable). They'll invite u to have another drink but theyll take u to some dodgy bar and you'll get whacked with a £000 bill if you're lucky. If you're not then youll be drugged and wake up with stuff missing. They'll usually have a few big guys to intimidate you ad take you to withdraw the cash.

Theres also some who will do the same above but have a friend waiting to swipe something from you whilst youre distracted.

People will be coming up to u offering u drugs/women etc dont do it as its a scam. Theyll take u to some dodgy place like before or to a corner and try to mug you (Guns are more accessible in Turkey).

When I went, we went to a club after having a few drinks. They took us inside to what looked like a busy club but everyone was looking at us. We sat down and there were already food and drinks on the table. Women coming up to us etc. I realised that we didnt order anything.

I got up and told my friends to get up and leave. They tried to stop us but we didnt take anything. 3 large guys tried to get one of my friends in a room but I said I'll call the police and after a few mins we managed to leave.

Also be aware that theres no offical license for hard liquour. So beers are fine but dont drink vodkas/whiskey etc from shops because they are 99% of the time home brewed and can cost you a liver/your eyesight.

Oh and people tried to fight us on the day we're leaving cause they saw us with suitcases and started shouting at us about being able to leave Turkey or something.

I just didnt have a good experience with the people there who believed they were better than us. They were also super racist to my two black friends. There was just this general air of superiority they had/were trying to imply. I cba with that when Im on holiday and just want to relax/visit sights/ eat good food etc.

Last edited:
What are the types of scams mate?
I've posted some but google them cause theres definitely way more.

I also forgot to mention that you'll 100% be paying more for stuff than locals will. You can try to barter but we just accepted it after a certain point. Just do the conversion in your head to £s and if it seems similar to our price/too steep then dont pay it.

For example, something would cost a local 10p but they'd tell us it was £1. We still paid cause that thing would cost £10 here or something (Due to the value of Turkish Lira in comparison to the £).

I've posted some but google them cause theres definitely way more.

I also forgot to mention that you'll 100% be paying more for stuff than locals will. You can try to barter but we just accepted it after a certain point. Just do the conversion in your head to £s and if it seems similar to our price/too steep then dont pay it.

For example, something would cost a local 10p but they'd tell us it was £1. We still paid cause that thing would cost £10 here or something (Due to the value of Turkish Lira in comparison to the £).
Yes cheers, I have just read chasing thedonkey.com that lists a few.

Things to consider in Istanbul,
If you are using a taxi, ask them to turn on the meter, do not negotiate the price.
Request a menu with prices at restaurants. Do not use restaurants without menus and prices.
Reject those who promise to offer you a drink by shouting from the door, especially in the Taksim and Aksaray region,especially at nights. They may try to make you pay for unthinkable accounts.

Tell them you will contact the tourism police if they cause problems. numbers you can reach
Police: Phone: 155
Medical emergency / Ambulance: Phone: 112
Fire: Phone: 110
Tourism Police: Phone: +90 212 527 4503 / +905051876614
Poison Emergency: 114

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.