Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

I didn't sleep a wink and this morning I'm still amazed that after supporting City for 65 years that I can remember I can still be so badly affected by one defeat. Pep's come in for criticism as is the case after every CL defeat and I too was surprised and concerned by the omission of Ferna from the starting line up and Raz's place in it. But I'm certainly not going to argue with or criticise a football genius and I was convinced that Raz must have really impressed in training - and maybe he did. In the end the selection wasn't the problem, and if he didn't have a grat game Raz was no worse than anyone else. All week I had been telling myself that we had all the best players, the better team and the better manager, that if we played our best we'd win, and I'm just as convinced of all that this morning: but there was just a niggling voice telling me that teams rarely play their best in CL finals and the nighmare would be if City were way below their best - and so it proved. Whether it was nerves , whether the occasion got to our lads I don't know but from the off they were leaden footed and hesitant. At times they looked like 11 complete strangers needed three touches to decide what to do with the ball. I'm not criticising any of them because I was a bag of nerves a week before kick off and I got worse but none of them was recognisable as the player we see week in week out and I sympathise massively with them because they really feel the pain of defeat far more than I do. But Kev rarely got into the game until he was flattened by a brutal body check (did Mo Salah see that?) and even Phil - heroic young Phil Foden - never influenced the game anywhere near as much as we know he can on an off day. Some games teams just never get going, a real collective off day. Just our bloody luck that our first CL final was such a day. But City will be back and one day of a screwed up system will all be worth it when we see our lads holding that damned trophy up high.

For me the biggest frustration is that we just didn't play our best XI/system. Obviously last night he tried to change it but it didn't didn't. Losing a final can happen, but to do so when we didn't even play the way we can makes it so disappointing. Mendy didn't even have a save to make.
That's the annoying thing you can accept losing but not when your strongest 11 you have played most of the season isn't on the pitch.

Agree he will be gone but he’s had no strikers all season. The only real option last night was fern should of started instead of Gundy.

if pep had 2 top strikers in this team we will win it. We had nothing on our bench last night that could really change the game & that inc Aguero sadly

2/3 new players & we will win this next season
We lost because we didn't defend not because we didn't have strikers. Pep wanted to control the game and yet we had less control than I've seen us have since before Christmas. I'd have been less critical if he'd played Fern AND Rodri than playing neither of them.

And that is the truth.

He has been schooled by a manager who only arrived at Chelsea half way through a season.

He turned a team who conceded 5 goals to us in to winners.

Knocking us out of the FA Cup, and turning Chelsea in to European Champions.

Sorry that should not be happening.

Embarrassing really.

We will never get a better chance.
jog on dipper

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.