Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

It was a good enough 11 to beat most, but if we're playing a final, we play the 11 best equipped to beat all. We did so against Dortmund & PSG & got the rewards we deserved.

With everyone available yesterday, someone please explain the need to change that more solid approach? :-|

I think he was concerned about Reece James after the last game and wanted strength and pace to counter that, hence Raheem.

Then he wanted maximum focus on possession play, which is why he went with Gundo.

Personally before the game I called Sterling and Fernandinho, with Bernardo dropping out. Pep telegraphed what he was thinking by playing Raheem so much recently.

Pep fully believes in his style of football. He won’t change or compromise it. I respect that. It beats most teams week in week out. But to beat the better sides,equipped with better players.Who play fast counter footy. You need something extra which we now seem to be lacking.
Am rambling maybe other factors were in play but not being flexible in style certainly hampers us at times.
We found the solution by how we approached Dortmund & PSG. Why would we change that successful approach for the final?

In my mind, Pep not only wanted to win, he wanted to blow Chelsea away doing so. I'd have settled for a dreary performance & a 1-0 win. The 1-0 is all history will show anyway, so what's the point of going into such a crucial match with no defensive insurance, & using out of form players?

Last edited:
That disaster last night overshadows everything

season ruined

in time when I think of season 20/21 that completely avoidable catastrophe will the first thing that springs to mind

For me pep took the easy option he said in his interview he was dreading telling the players they are not playing
Whether sterling has been showing some sort of form in training who knows. Now if this is the case why not drop Phil or mahrez ?
He can't because they have been our best players
Maybe drop gundo? No as above
So with rodri not being in the best form and fern not playing regularly that was his way of keeping players happy

That disaster last night overshadows everything

season ruined

in time when I think of season 20/21 that completely avoidable catastrophe will the first thing that springs to mind

A tad over the top if I may say !

We are the best team in England by a country mile this season lost one semi final in the fa cup and lost Europe's equivalent to the fa cup final.

It's not the champions league anymore as it's not just the league champions that play in it ;)

We lost because we didn't defend not because we didn't have strikers. Pep wanted to control the game and yet we had less control than I've seen us have since before Christmas. I'd have been less critical if he'd played Fern AND Rodri than playing neither of them.
We lost collectively last night starting with no press on their defence as we had nothing up there to cause them issues. It was very easy for them. This then put pressure on a supposedly attacking midfield who can’t defend resulting in pressure on our defence.

I agree fern or Rodri should of played as they would of filled that gap in the middle taking pressure of the spine of our team

pep played these tactics as we have no strikers for me & was hoping we could score early but it never worked. The game plan failed within 15 mins & the game was already gone. If he reacted early we could of beat them but sadly pep will never sub early

Slept on it, still pissed off, still gutted. Chelsea much the better side and at least some of that was self inflicted.

There'll be more champions league finals, and we'll win some.

It wasn't meant to be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.