Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

Exactly right. Not hindsight either, plenty were saying so at the time. They gained great confidence from their two wins against us and this was mentioned repeatedly in the run up to the final. The 3 points they won at the Etihad were crucial to their Champs League qualification which was another boost to their feel good factor leading up to the final. We were told that the team for the final would be radically different so those two games would be irrelevant, but this is a misunderstanding of the mentality of a footballer. As far as Chelsea’s players were concerned they had already beaten us twice and this was huge for their self belief. Added to the bizarre team selection, we contributed to our own downfall.
100% this . Anyone of us who played sport know even as amateurs the importance of a psychological edge that having beaten an opponent before brings to morale and self confidence. It works at the professional level maybe even more.

Right fuck it. We are still champs of England for third time in four years and won our 1976 cup four times on the trot so dreamland compared to 80s 90s and 2000s. As a mate of mine just said this (champs league) is the top competition, it is by definition elusive to the nearly everyone and needs everything to come together to win. Next year it is then. Enjoy the summer break everyone.
Love your optomisim mate.

I doubt the European heavy wieghts will be that poor again for a good while

Last night was our time to shine,we all know it.

Pep blew it.

Today we reflect on what should have been our moment in the Sun.

It is not sour Grapes,we should be Champions of Europe today.We had the better players.

I think Sam Allardyce would have won that managing us last night.

Who at the club is holding Pep to account? That's twice he's done it now in the CL. Look, I'm not for one single minute suggesting he should go and am extremely grateful for everything he has done so far. However, it's also not great having an "untouchable" either who can just get away with these things based on reputation and power.
A coach has to have the freedom to coach. You take Pep, you accept he will do these things.

He is still the best coach in the world but he's also a maverick who will make mistakes

You can see the pain in Pep’s eyes and hear it in his voice. Whenever things have been bad for him he has reacted and revolutionised football time and time again. This time will be no different. I’m gutted about the result but excited about the future.
Oh thank god. Let’s hope we lose more often so he can “revolutionise football” I’d rather we just won the CL tbh

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.