Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

It was a miraculous season. We won almost everything without a recognised striker. By rights we should have struggled in what was Aguero's last season.
Exactly it was a miraculous season because Pep conceived a winning formula which was based on a system and individuals taking on specific roles eg gundogan further forward with either Fernandinho or Rodri behind.

But after 60 games of playing either Rodri or Fernandinho he ripped that winning formula up because he was scared of Chelsea. I love Pep but don’t underestimate just how colossal a fuck up he made last night.

Would Pep have dropped busquets for the champions league final and moved iniesta into holding midfield because he was scared of Carrick? I think we all know the answer to that.

Boys it’s gutting I can’t deny that. But life isn’t perfect, we’re premier league champions and league cup champions. I understand everyone has a right to moan and whinge and majority are right on here about peps selection but cheer up the suns out and sky is blue, raise a glass to the premier league champions! It was an achievement within its own right getting to the final last night

He looks a right tit today,for doubling down.Getting flak from everywhere for dropping Fern to the Bench.

Should have held up his Hands, and said this was the biggest fuck up of his managerial career.Which it was.

Not a bit of it.

His genius was not to be questioned.

We played not so good first half,better in the second.

His tactics had fuck all to do with the defeat.

Plucky City,the Club with no history until his Ego arrived,gave a good account of their selves against a Big Club,with lots of history.

I wonder how key players feel today.

Got a feeling we have not heard the last of this debacle.
I'm forced to agree with you.... I love Pep, but it would have been a less bitter pill to swallow if he held his hands up & took responsibility.

Everyone who feared what Pep may do can't be wrong, & as it turned out they weren't wrong.

He looks a right tit today,for doubling down.Getting flak from everywhere for dropping Fern to the Bench.

Should have held up his Hands, and said this was the biggest fuck up of his managerial career.Which it was.

Not a bit of it.

His genius was not to be questioned.

We played not so good first half,better in the second.

His tactics had fuck all to do with the defeat.

Plucky City,the Club with no history until his Ego arrived,gave a good account of their selves against a Big Club,with lots of history.

I wonder how key players feel today.

Got a feeling we have not heard the last of this debacle.
Ffs dipper

I think the absence of Ferna was noticeable in so many ways.

Apart from his mastership of the dark arts, our back 4 had become accustomed in the last few games to him being available when we were playing out under pressure from the back. Unfortunately, Gundo was cast in that role and he simply wasn’t properly prepared for the enormity of that task.

But I think his absence was most keenly felt in his leadership on the pitch. This season Ferna bloomed into a magnificent leader of men, both on and off the pitch. He adapted to the role of captain with aplomb.

In my opinion, Ferna had earned the right to lead our team onto the field last night. To see our captain, our most senior player, not have that rare opportunity was very disappointing.

Spot on - the only choices were Cancelo or Zinchenko at left back , Rodri or Fernandinho as holding mid.

Sterling on current form wasn’t up for consideration and whilst he wasn’t the worst, I always felt that James had his number.

I don’t know why Pep feels the need to overthink, be clever or different - just play our best team and structure.

Talking to Chelsea fans on the walk to the ground they were expecting a comfortable City win - based on our tried and trusted structure, players and form ( when we play our best 11).

Heard somewhere that only once this season we haven’t played Rodri or Fernandinho - Cheltenham

if that’s accuratex why pick our biggest game of the season to try and be clever/different.
Also I would add did Pep decide on last night's side at the last minute or have they been working on a plan in training all week with that side? Interesting article in the independent today about how suprised the team were when the team were announced

The problem is, when 99% of fans feel like that about the team selection, the likelihood is, most of the players feel the same.

If the players were inanimate chess pieces, Pep’s cunning plan may have had some merit.

But these are human beings with comfort zones and dealing with the pressure of such a big game anyway, throwing a curveball at them and asking players to play in unfamiliar positions in a team we have never put out before, in such a big game was a dreadful mistake.
correct

When Sergio missed the panenka, he apologised - although he didn't really need to.
If Pep, could actually say - "I messed up", it would make it easier to swallow, rather than him ignoring it - makes it less likely that he will learn from a mistake.

Also, where was the advice from all the assistant coaches - to say to him - Pep, don't mess with a winning combination. Are they just yes men?

It wasn't just one person that was affected ie Sterling in and Fern out ... it also put everyone in the team out of kilter.

Making that bizarre change also seems to show a lack of trust in the players to deliver.

I've got Pep's "10 rules for success" above my desk ... maybe he needs #11 - learn from your mistakes.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.