Champions League Final | Travel Requirements + COVID Tests

I know both have been quoted on this thread but does anyone have a DEFINITIVE answer to the 72 hours / 3 days ambiguity in terms of travelling out Friday to Sunday. The government site is conflicting, states 3 days and gives an example of this, but their advice on the other site says 72 hours, which also seems to be the standard.

What I am asking is whether anyone has actually managed to get legal clarification on this, or knows of anyone who might have been refused travel on a weekend break etc.

My flight is Friday 2.30 and return is Sunday 2.30.. I have been told by one pharmacy that a test ANYTIME Thursday will cover both flights, but if, say i have this in the morning then technically it would be over 72 hours before the return leg, but based on the main Gov.uk site, would be valid as taken within the 3 days before. If i take the test after 2.30 on the Thursday, its almost impossible to find a guarantee of a result that would come back before the outbound flight.

It is an important question as if this is not the case, will mean having a second test in Porto to cover the return flight. Sorry for specifics, but imagine there may be many others in a similar boat?

Look back at the last couple of pages.

The ''other site'' is advice posted by Embassy and Consulate in Portugal, and shared by the Government. This is not direct Government guidance.

The only place to find direct Government guidance is the travel entry requirements pages for both Portugal and the UK.

These are the only pages that anyone should be taking as gospel.

Look back at the last couple of pages.

The ''other site'' is advice posted by Embassy and Consulate in Portugal, and shared by the Government. This is not direct Government guidance.

The only place to find direct Government guidance is the travel entry requirements pages for both Portugal and the UK.

These are the only pages that anyone should be taking as gospel.
Yes thanks, but what I am asking is has anyone had proper concrete clarification ie travel agent or airline. There are many stories online saying boarding was refused after 72 hours, including one on a comment below the official Gov.uk explanation video.
A day is 24 hours, so 3 days is 72 hours. It does not state in the example that it is ‘anytime’ in the 3 days before.

I know both have been quoted on this thread but does anyone have a DEFINITIVE answer to the 72 hours / 3 days ambiguity in terms of travelling out Friday to Sunday. The government site is conflicting, states 3 days and gives an example of this, but their advice on the other site says 72 hours, which also seems to be the standard.

What I am asking is whether anyone has actually managed to get legal clarification on this, or knows of anyone who might have been refused travel on a weekend break etc.

My flight is Friday 2.30 and return is Sunday 2.30.. I have been told by one pharmacy that a test ANYTIME Thursday will cover both flights, but if, say i have this in the morning then technically it would be over 72 hours before the return leg, but based on the main Gov.uk site, would be valid as taken within the 3 days before. If i take the test after 2.30 on the Thursday, its almost impossible to find a guarantee of a result that would come back before the outbound flight.

It is an important question as if this is not the case, will mean having a second test in Porto to cover the return flight. Sorry for specifics, but imagine there may be many others in a similar boat?
My test is 9.30 am on Thursday morning at Heald Green pharmacy. Flight back is 18.05 on Sunday with BA. The UK Government website says this is fine and a test done on Thurs/Fri or Sat will cover a flight home on Sunday. I personally don’t care what anywhere else says UK Government website states this is ok. That has to be good enough for me and I will have it to hand should any Portuguese airline employee dispute this when I’m boarding. Nobody else will check. Remember this is a UK Government requirement and is detailed on a UK Government website detailing the rules.

Yes thanks, but what I am asking is has anyone had proper concrete clarification ie travel agent or airline. There are many stories online saying boarding was refused after 72 hours, including one on a comment below the official Gov.uk explanation video.
A day is 24 hours, so 3 days is 72 hours. It does not state in the example that it is ‘anytime’ in the 3 days before.
Yes it really does state it. See below extract. How can you have more concrete clarification of a UK government requirement than from the UK Government website?

Take a coronavirus test before you travel to England​

You must have proof of a negative coronavirus (COVID-19) test to travel to England.

You must take a test even if:

You must take the test in the 3 days before the service on which you will arrive in England departs.

For example, if you travel directly to England on Friday, you must take the test on the Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

Just spoke to BA customer services, they stated that it is indeed 72 hours not 3 days. So if you are out Friday and back Sunday you need test within 72 hours of the return flight for it to cover both.

In which case the government site is misleading at best, but potentially wrong as they by 3 days they mean 72 hours.

Just spoke to BA customer services, they stated that it is indeed 72 hours not 3 days. So if you are out Friday and back Sunday you need test within 72 hours of the return flight for it to cover both.

In which case the government site is misleading at best, but potentially wrong as they by 3 days they mean 72 hours.

Tonster, do you wanna take this one or shall I? ;)

Apologies as I'm sure it will have been posted previously but what test will I need at the stadium itself? I'll be driving into Portugal so no need to worry about flying out of the UK and back but will I still need the PCR test?

That's strange, as the BA website page dedicated to entry requirements makes frequent references and links to checking with the Government website for the latest news. Couple of examples below for you.

COVID-19 travel requirements | Information | British Airways

1621880888929.png

1621880920689.png
1621880952221.png

I’m sure a Government website trumps a customer service agent to be honest (I’ve spoken to lots of CS agents and I wouldn’t believe many if they said night followed day).
BA have to work with Government guidelines, they can’t make their own up. Anyhow we’ll find out if I’m stuck in Portugal on Sunday (doesn’t seem so bad on reflection). I’ll be sure to have my Government guidance printed in my hand just in case. It even calls out the specific example telling you which days matter to avoid any ambiguity.
Doesn’t help of course that the Portugal PCR requirement is 72 hours on the way in.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.