Champions League pots

Marvin said:
LoveCity said:
A shame we aren't in the Europa League right now with the league dead and buried. Assuming we didn't bomb out in the first knockout round we'd be able to improve our coefficient.
By fractions. Not worth it

It would take us over 70 coefficient points and it's ridiculous to say "not worth it" because EVERY coefficient point you earn accumulates and our eventual aim is to reach Pot 1. As it stands we're at risk of Kiev, Zenit, PSG, and Juventus overtaking us in the coefficient rankings with them still being in Europe (2 in the Champions League, 2 in the Europa League). Ajax I don't think will be able to quite overtake us. And with our league season dead and buried besides consolidating 2nd or 3rd place, it would be a great opportunity to add some point and actually win a trophy.

We aren't going to win a trophy for finishing 2nd or 3rd so the Europa League would be worth it. The Europa League is a trophy worth winning despite the tediously arrogant attitude the English media and many fans (including some of our own) have towards it.

Hamann Pineapple said:
We're getting Bayern Munich, Juventus and PSG. Have you not heard.

No we won't.

Juventus and PSG will probably be in the third pot at worst (probably both in the second pot).

hertsblue said:
As long as we are in there will do for me.
Imagine if we came 4th and perhaps was not seeded for the play off game. Seeing the 2 groups we have had so far, we would probably get Real Madrid.
We've got to qualify first - only 9 points above Arsenal

We'll have to do it the hard way. Qualifying from whatever group we get is probably a must, after the last 2 failures. The groups can be pot-luck (get it ?) anyway. We got a team like Dortmund as fourth seeds in our group, whilst a team like AFC Clump got 10 points in utds group. Of the 16 teams that went through, I reckon that only 5 or 6 of them could be classed as better than City , but we just didn't perform. Although most of the games were tight, so it's small margins.

Marvin said:
hertsblue said:
Imagine if we came 4th and perhaps was not seeded for the play off game. Seeing the 2 groups we have had so far, we would probably get Real Madrid.

thats what i meant, be glad to just be in it.

Marvin said:
hertsblue said:

12 league matches to go. Do you really think Arsenal will win three more matches than us with their patchier form than ours?

LoveCity said:
The Europa League is a trophy worth winning despite the tediously arrogant attitude the English media and many fans (including some of our own) have towards it.

100% correct and this is why I was surprised to see so many on here write it off as a pointless risk, when the chance to finish the group in 3rd was still in reach.

Depends where you are in the League

Imagibe going for the title when you have a two legged Quarter Final against a team who are giving it absolutely everything. You have to have a very big squad and be well ahead in the League to commit to it

Athletic Bilbao and Athletico Madrid played at an incredibly high level in the latter stages of the competition last season, but you can't play at the intensity required in midweek and then do it again in the Premiership at the weekend

It's why teams can lead a Premiership for 2/3rds of the season, and then come the end they can collapse. Happens so many times.

The Pink Panther said:
Marvin said:
hertsblue said:

12 league matches to go. Do you really think Arsenal will win three more matches than us with their patchier form than ours?

No chance. Especially considering Arsenal's next 5 games are:

Villa (H)
Spurs (A)
Everton (H)
Swansea (A)
Reading (H)

Only Villa & Reading at home do I see a guaranteed 3pts there. It's certainly not unthinkable to see them only picking up 7pts (potential draw with Everton). Should they only pick up 7pts, their saving grace is that Spurs next 5 games are:

West Ham (A)
Arsenal (H)
Liverpool (A)
Fulham (H)
Swansea (A)

I can only see Spurs getting a maximum of 8pts. That Spurs v Arsenal game will be huge.

The only positional thread to City, IMO, is Chelsea. The top 3 as it stands will definitely be the top 3 come the end of the season. Chelsea's run coming up (City aside) seems fairly straightforward. That being said, nothing is straightforward with them these days, judging by the Southampton, QPR & Reading results!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.