Chelsea (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

Think we should have gone into a low block formation after the Rodri goal. Sterling should not have got that space between our midfield and defence.
If Ake been fit could have gone to 5 at back also, limiting gaps between centre backs.
Still decent draw, but concentration is everything at highest level.

Just watched it again. Mad game, one we probably won’t be part of for some time.

I thought it was a great game of football. Even better that we didn’t lose it. Watching it repeated on Sky for the next 20 years, if we’d lost, would have been as annoying as having to see Owen’s goal repeated every 5 mins.
It was good to see a game, away, at a top team (historically), where they went for us, didn’t park the mega bus and neither team crumbled. For all the criticism on here, I thought we played well and so did they.
Yes we had a few individual errors but you can’t argue with 10 out of 15 shots on target, 4 goals away from home and a great performance from the travelling blues.
Loved it.

I think it’s Grimsby 4 City 4 from Sept 1950: Of course yesterday’s wasn't the 1st 4-4 at Stamford Bridge between City & @ChelseaFC That came in a City title winning season:

@Gary James

When was our last 4-4, in any competition?

Credit to Sterling he was the best player on the pitch , very rarely do you see Walker get the runaround but he tormented him yesterday , the fact Waistcoat cannot see his improvement this season only proves what a shite judge of a player he is , how the f*ck does Rashford with one goal all season get in an England squad ahead of Raheem , the mind boggles.

Apart from all the valid point that have been made on here already, it's another game before an international break where we have struggled. Do away with internationals and we'd be fine.

A great game for the neutrals, but it felt like a loss.
Can't remember a game where so many players didn't turn up, but we still got a point.
That's gotta be Sterling's best game for the chavs, he turned Walker inside out, why did Walker take that free kick.
Dias needs Stones, we need a genuine left back and Rodri needed help in the middle.
Some of the passing and decision making was not what we're used too, Doku and Alverez were passengers and should of been replaced earlier.
On a positive, we're top of the league with more points than the same stage last season.

Mixed feelings after that one. Important not to lose, but disappointing to have led three times and be pegged back, especially late on given the effort to get back ahead.

Frustrating errors for their second goal, Dias looked shaky throughout (although appears he's had a personal issue in the week) and Gvardiol is still learning. He might need to tone down the aggression in trying to pinch the ball, which is a very 'Red Bull' way of defending.

I would say these historical top 4/6 clashes have shown the new lads still need to learn about Pep/City approach, but that will come.

One of the changes that won us the CL last season was our ability to be more pragmatic with pressing & defending in away games. We didn't have any of the 'epic' games (like Spurs & Real 4-3 etc) either, opting to pick our moments and maintain control with the 3-2 build up.

I'm not sure the build up in the first half works, the wide centre backs leave too much of a gap on turnovers.

Yesterday I felt our press was far too aggressive, especially in the second half at 3-2 & 4-3 - Chelsea had gone into all out attack at times, and we were committing too many players onto their first line, leaving Rodri to cover huge spaces and 2/3 players. Stones & KDB are big misses, especially in these scenarios - maybe Ake too.

When Forest did similar, putting two wingers and two forwards on at the Etihad, Pep's decision to go 5-3-1 nullified them. I appreciate Chelsea carry greater quality, but a change to 5-4-1 for injury time was likely best.

Arguably we should've converted one of the chances at 3-2, but so be it.

Looking at the wider picture;

- Stones, Rodri & KDB have accumulated 13/36 starts. Hopefully all three being available for next 3/4 months makes a change.

- We're top and in a good position despite a significant turnover of players, also played United, Chelsea & Arsenal away.

- I don't think Pep has found (or had the opportunity to yet) our best eleven and system this season.

Perhaps some international managers will do us a favour and rest our lads during this break, there's no need for Southgate to be playing them against minnows. Portugal have qualified & Spain need one win.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.