Chelsea (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

Jeez, the handful of posters who don’t like Grealish, REALLY don’t like him do they?? Haha!
Imagine being so bitter about a player that you spend every post match trying to dig him out even if it means you have to lie about it.
Strange. Strange people.
Aside from 2-3 errant passes, one leading to a clear Chelsea scoring chance, Jack did well.

He knows he's got to improve his assists & goals scored, but where no one in the Premier League can touch him is with assisting the assister. In this regard, Grealish has been in a league of his own over the last 3 seasons.

This & his ability to hold onto the ball & keep possession are also top notch. I just wish that Pep would consider moving Jack inside. We really could've done with his industry & ball control in the middle yesterday.

This would've allowed Doku to stay on & have a go at the kid who replaced James.

So, City's penalty was "soft". It appears City only ever get "soft" penalties while I'm struggling to understand what constitutes a "soft" penalty after the penalty in the cup final and any number of penalties Mo Salah has been awarded "after feeling the contact and having the right to go down". Is a soft penalty, therefore, one awarded to City and only to City? Or can a penalty awarded to a red top ever be classed as "soft"?

Although the defense made some uncharacteristically bad mistakes yesterday, I don’t feel like they were as bad as others. I felt like they were under a ton of pressure - felt like every two minutes a loose ball/errant pass/fast break was flying out of the midfield. And it felt like it could have been far worse.

That said, I’m wondering if part of the disjointedness was because of Akes late injury. Maybe wasn’t intended to be the set-up? Maybe Ake was suppose to start instead of Josko (partly because I feel like Doku does better with Ake behind him…and that seems to be what we’ve seen?)?

Anyway, I do feel like some consistency might benefit the back line, but every other game one of them has a sub par game and everyone is ready to drop them from the team and/or injuries…so I’m not sure any of us armchair fans could even agree on a set four. IMO, they all have their strengths. Walker always seems a sure starter, but not sure he deserves that tag and more than the others.

Not many 21's can perform like that consistently for a big club and not be tactically good. I think it shocked a lot of us how well he played yesterday. He wasn't given that freedom to express himself under Pep so thats probably why you say that.
Palmer played to his best level against a below par City. He played out of his skin to prove a point, but the truth is if he'd stayed with us, he'd have been on the bench at best.

He's been spoken about so much in the press because they want him to be Pep's big mistake, like Salah & KDB were Moureen's.

They're even comparing him to a young KDB, because he's been above average in below par, mid-table Chelsea side!

Not many 21's can perform like that consistently for a big club and not be tactically good. I think it shocked a lot of us how well he played yesterday. He wasn't given that freedom to express himself under Pep so thats probably why you say that.
But he didn't play well yesterday. Had the most unforced errors in the game, 4. Was disposed 2 more times. Completed only 78% of his passes and fluffed his 1 v 1 against Eddy.

He was having a poor game all together. But he is a very confident lad. Wrestled away the penalty duty from Sterling bin week 1 and hasn't looked back in that respect. Other than that, he was dead poor.

Also, he was free to express himself under Pep. The only position where freedom of self expression is guaranteed in Pep's squad are the wide forward players. And that's where Palmer played when he was here. He just simply was never good enough.

But he generally was protected from most criticism because he was an academy graduate.

He is an extremely talented dribbler with a fantastic shot. Other than that, he is on the sluggish side. Kinda like Kai Havertz. He is defensively poor. A lot like Mahrrz on that respect. Showed a greater sense of fight against us for obvious reasons. But on a normal day he is Mahrez on defense.

But his worst quality is his hero ball mentality. Always wants to dribble multiple players or make the magic pass... When I pointed this out at City some said it was cuz he didn't get enough game time and was inching to impress. Funny enough, he is still doing it at Chelsea.

Granted, this is an easier problem to fix than say a technique issue. So it may one day click. But so far, he is that same player from 2 summers ago always trying to do too much. Nothing has changed.

And I'm happier with Doku.

But he didn't play well yesterday. Had the most unforced errors in the game, 4. Was disposed 2 more times. Completed only 78% of his passes and fluffed his 1 v 1 against Eddy.

He was having a poor game all together. But he is a very confident lad. Wrestled away the penalty duty from Sterling bin week 1 and hasn't looked back in that respect. Other than that, he was dead poor.

Also, he was free to express himself under Pep. The only position where freedom of self expression is guaranteed in Pep's squad are the wide forward players. And that's where Palmer played when he was here. He just simply was never good enough.

But he generally was protected from most criticism because he was an academy graduate.

He is an extremely talented dribbler with a fantastic shot. Other than that, he is on the sluggish side. Kinda like Kai Havertz. He is defensively poor. A lot like Mahrrz on that respect. Showed a greater sense of fight against us for obvious reasons. But on a normal day he is Mahrez on defense.

But his worst quality is his hero ball mentality. Always wants to dribble multiple players or make the magic pass... When I pointed this out at City some said it was cuz he didn't get enough game time and was inching to impress. Funny enough, he is still doing it at Chelsea.

Granted, this is an easier problem to fix than say a technique issue. So it may one day click. But so far, he is that same player from 2 summers ago always trying to do too much. Nothing has changed.

I agree I also don't didn't think Palmer was that good yesterday either. Sterling was Chelsea MOTM.

Has Palmer scored a goal that's not a penalty yet?

I agree I also don't didn't think Palmer was that good yesterday either. Sterling was Chelsea MOTM.

Has Palmer scored a goal that's not a penalty yet?
I wouldn't say Palmer wasn't that good, I'd say the perspective needs to be considered that if he didn't leave City for big money, under the circumstances that he did, he'd be getting nowhere near the media attention he is based on his Chelsea performances so far, which are no better than his City performances last season.

A few flashes here & there don't warrant you a full England call up. Anti-City media hype & London press pressure do.

A draw felt like a fair result. Could see a twist in the tail coming even at 3 - 4.

Had Doku or Foden put away their shots at 2 - 3 we would have had some breathing space.

We seemed light in midfield at times as did they. Badly missed both John Stones and Ake.

I wouldn’t say defensively poor. Saw him getting back and shutting Doku down on numerous occasions. Between him and James they kept him quiet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.