Chelsea (H) - Carabao Cup | Post-Match Thread

Ortega, Grealish, Julián and Palmer, outstanding.

The rest of the team superb as usual. Shout to Riyad, his control for the 2nd goal was otherworldly. Both FBs good job. Kalvin improved over Rodri who deserved a rest.

Man of the Match between Ortega and Jack,

Up the fucking Blues!

Ortega’s save at 2-0 was incredible!

Grealish looked better with Gomez behind him.

Fan behind me spent 50 minutes calling Mahrez every name under the sun. He got put back in his box in the second half and shut up.

Alvarez is pocket dynamite. Amazing ball out to Mahrez and then followed in like a seasoned predator.

Shame the scousers went through, every other decent team bar Newcastle managed to lose.
Now don't be calling the dippers a decent team...

; )

Much more like it from Jack, driving inside, towards goal.

Ortega and Alvarez also excellent.

Hate that Gundo and Rodri combo, gets caught wrong side of the ball after every breakdown.

Not helped, admittedly, by the half-arsed attempts from Mahrez to get back in and help out Rico.

Mahrez gets away with murder on nights like that.

He only wants to know when it's a free-kick or brilliantly showcasing his party piece to take the ball out the air on a crossfield pass.

It catches the eye, but he's a fundamental issue for our midfield every time he plays.

Agree with this on Mahrez - his pressing last night was non-existent. That said, I think after the second goal, City just stopped trying as hard - one of those periods where it looks like Pep is happy for them to suffer and see what happens.

great game, a real end to ender and an entertaining watch, we dont often get treated to such games. Ortega kept us in the fight, Chelsea had a few very good chances to go in front or get back in it. That being said, City fought well, passed well, and that was a good performance for the reduced strength side. At 2-0 Chelsea grew and were on top but i think the Blues knew 2-0 was enough.

Ortega and Grealish superb, the latter playing the most positive football in a City shirt. Everyone else played pretty well (including Mahrez you moaners ;) ), but Lewis did struggle with positioning especially. Remembering he's still 17, it's all learning and he's striding the massive gap from EDS to first team squad.

A really impressive performance given the changes, plus the fact that in any games this season where we’ve had that the identity and style of the play remains the same to a consistently high level.

I thought that game will be a big learning curve for young Rico, not as easy as Sevilla but acquitted himself well.

I really like Gomez, tenacious, bit of skill and pace - he just shows his inexperience a couple of times per game at the moment but sure he’ll continue to improve.

Ortega gives you the feeling of calm, a really capable deputy that allows us to play the same style.

Excellent from Jack, playing with a smile and unbelievably unlucky not to get a goal or assist.

Last but not least, fuck me, Bernardo is just reaching yet another level. He came on, slotted in and was imperious yet again. How and why he does not get more credit in the MSM is incredible.

Roll on Brentford!

Last edited:
Much more like it from Jack, driving inside, towards goal.

Ortega and Alvarez also excellent.

Hate that Gundo and Rodri combo, gets caught wrong side of the ball after every breakdown.

Not helped, admittedly, by the half-arsed attempts from Mahrez to get back in and help out Rico.

Mahrez gets away with murder on nights like that.

He only wants to know when it's a free-kick or brilliantly showcasing his party piece to take the ball out the air on a crossfield pass.

It catches the eye, but he's a fundamental issue for our midfield every time he plays.
He's the ultimate luxury player,brilliantly talented but an absolute pussy.

Correct, he was the biggest reason.

Rico and Gomez were rinsed on either side, both only look comfortable playing high and don't have sufficient protection when they do, with Jack and Mahrez half-arsed efforts to cover.

Neither of those two bust a gut and anger the shit out of me when it comes to just sticking out a token leg to stop the cross.

Ortega did flap on their offside goal, which could have been embarrassing, but if he can also save penalties, then Eddie has a real fight on his hands.

Ortega reminded me of how it feels when a keeper saves shots you think are a certain goal, they are as much a match winner as us scoring at the other end. His distribution wasn't bad either. Last night I think we could have lost that game with Eddie in nets, Chelsea would have scored those two good chances in the first half making it a totally different game. Not Eddie bashing as he isn't bad but saves like Ortega made last night win you trophies against the better sides.

Had a friend in the away end who said they were all directed to the Asda stop they waited for ages, then got told the stop was closed and they all had to go back to the Etihad one. What is the normal routine for away fans ?

I still have sleepless nights thinking about Steffen in that semi final.

I don't think Ortega has joined us to make the numbers up, he's serious competition for Eddie and after last night it wouldn't surprise me if he started on Saturday.
Still quite early to properly judge Ortega after 3 games, but he looks look a pretty impressive back up for sure. Both Ederson and Hart(very good though they both undoubtedly were/are) perhaps haven't always been kept on their toes by serious completion Have they?
When was the last time we had a good 2nd choice keeper, Alex Williams? Seriously, imo the last one was probably Shay Given when Hart was establishing himself.
The likes of Pantilimon, Cabarello, Bravo and Steffen etc..hardly filled me with confidence when I saw them between the sticks!

Bit open to the counter - which is in part I assume why Pep made a double pivot chaange early in 2nd half.

That's a good win though beating a major opponent in a cup game and more evidence of the benefits we are reaping from Pep having been here for several years.

Still quite early to properly judge Ortega after 3 games, but he looks look a pretty impressive back up for sure. Both Ederson and Hart(very good though they both undoubtedly were/are) perhaps haven't always been kept on their toes by serious completion Have they?
When was the last time we had a good 2nd choice keeper, Alex Williams? Seriously, imo the last one was probably Shay Given when Hart was establishing himself.
The likes of Pantilimon, Cabarello, Bravo and Steffen etc..hardly filled me with confidence when I saw them between the sticks!
Good shout about Hart and Given, you're probably right saying that was the last time we had two top goalies.
Hopefully these two will bring the best out of each other.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.