Chelsea or City?

baldybouncer said:
In time, we probably both want what one another's already has!
In time we will be the only club from Manchester to win the champions league, that's if they let us in it.

Skashion said:
Stoned Rose said:
The CL is harder to win than the premier league????!!!!!

The CL has just been contested by the second best team in Germany and the sixth best in England. Neither entered the competition as reigning champions of their own country. With it being 'cup' based it's open to the best/most deserving team not always winning. You can avoid better teams depending on how the draw pans out.

The prem rolls over 38 games, you play everyone twice. There is none of this 'two legs' and 'away goals' bollocks. It's miles harder to come out as top dog under those circumstances than under CL circumstances.

And to top it off City slapped both Bayern and Chelsea at home this season.
Yes, it is, undoubtedly. One of the best managers in the world with one of the most stable and and domestically-dominant sides has only managed it twice out of eighteen attempts. I don't even know how many attempts there must have been by London clubs at winning it but to suffice to say there'll be dozens, and yet only one win. I would swap Champions League trophies for league trophies without a second's hesitation.

Good for you son, but you're still wrong ;)

SWP's back said:
You have absolutely just proven my point with that comment. Barcelona have been the best club team the world have ever seen for 5 years and won the CL twice in that time.

The CL is harder to win but is rarely won by the best team their own country that season, let alone in Europe as winning it is not solely down to ability but also luck. Far more so than a league season. As for your "its not won by teams in Turkey etc" no it isn't, well spotted. The seeding and group stage sorts that out, leaving 16 half decent teams, just about any of which could then win it.

The Premier League will always carry more prestige with me. As stated, I'd take it over Europe every year.
Won it three times since 2005/6. I do not call that luck. I do not call Mourinho's ability to consistently do well in it luck - surely this is one of the reasons you wanted him over Mancini, a proven league winner. Sure there's more luck in it than a full league system but there's nowhere as near as much as luck as you are pretending as there is a mini-league system with home and away legs and then two legs all the way to the final. Most great teams will beat another lesser team across two legs.

Rarely? Ok, past ten winners, six won the league in the same season, one won the league whilst holders of the Champions League, leaving three; Chelsea (11/12); Liverpool (04/05) and Milan (06/07).

Not for me. To consistently win Champions League titles like Barcelona have done in recent years, or others did in the past, proves you are not just the best in your country but in the world. No, this doesn't mean the success can be measured as consistently as with a league with luck being a bigger factor but various periods of European dominance. Real Madrid (five consecutive wins in the fifties); Benfica (back-to-back wins); Inter (back-to-back wins); Ajax (three consecutive wins); Bayern Munich (three back-to-back wins); Liverpool (four wins in eight years); Nottingham Forest (back-to-back wins); Milan (back-to-back wins); Real Madrid (three wins in five years, late nineties and early noughties); Barcelona (three wins in six years). I hope City have a period of consistent success in Europe and I do not wish to see it sullied by accusations of luck.

SWP's back said:
You have absolutely just proven my point with that comment. Barcelona have been the best club team the world have ever seen for 5 years and won the CL twice in that time.

The CL is harder to win but is rarely won by the best team their own country that season, let alone in Europe as winning it is not solely down to ability but also luck. Far more so than a league season. As for your "its not won by teams in Turkey etc" no it isn't, well spotted. The seeding and group stage sorts that out, leaving 16 half decent teams, just about any of which could then win it.

The Premier League will always carry more prestige with me. As stated, I'd take it over Europe every year.
Won it three times since 2005/6. I do not call that luck. I do not call Mourinho's ability to consistently do well in it luck - surely this is one of the reasons you wanted him over Mancini, a proven league winner. Sure there's more luck in it than a full league system but there's nowhere as near as much as luck as you are pretending as there is a mini-league system with home and away legs and then two legs all the way to the final. Most great teams will beat another lesser team across two legs.

Rarely? Ok, past ten winners, six won the league in the same season, one won the league whilst holders of the Champions League, leaving three; Chelsea (11/12); Liverpool (04/05) and Milan (06/07).

Not for me. To consistently win Champions League titles like Barcelona have done in recent years, or others did in the past, proves you are not just the best in your country but in the world. No, this doesn't mean the success can be measured as consistently as with a league with luck being a bigger factor but various periods of European dominance. Real Madrid (five consecutive wins in the fifties); Benfica (back-to-back wins); Inter (back-to-back wins); Ajax (three consecutive wins); Bayern Munich (three back-to-back wins); Liverpool (four wins in eight years); Nottingham Forest (back-to-back wins); Milan (back-to-back wins); Real Madrid (three wins in five years, late nineties and early noughties); Barcelona (three wins in six years). I hope City have a period of consistent success in Europe and I do not wish to see it sullied by accusations of luck.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
chesterbells said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
Yesterday didn't represent a seismic shift in the tectonic plates of football.

Last Sunday did.

LOL, cliche ahoy! FFS, Is this a geography lesson?

Having said that I agree with you.
I presume you mean geology.

Sorry if my use of metaphors is a little hackneyed for your liking

HaHa. Well we never had any geology lessons at the school I went to, but ok geology if you prefer.
Tbh, no offence was intend pal, in a mudane thread it just made me laugh when I read it! I'll drop the phrase into the conversation next time i'm in the pub with my city mates ;)

I think many on here are getting confused between the manner chelsea won and the achievement itself....they have an FA cup and CL double ffs, trumps the league title for me, astounding considering they are such a poor outfit.

Who ever wins the league has the best season regardless of if another team has won 10 trophies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.