Chelsea or City?

Blue2112 said:
For me i'm just an old fashioned domestic success first kind of guy. Europe's fun but its hyped up unbelievably by the media into the next best thing after the World Cup. Don't get me wrong if we ever win it of course i'd love it but i'd take dominating our own league and cup competitions every day of the week. I truly detest the shite surrounding the draws, fucking little plastic kinder egg capsules in goldfish bowls with about 20 delgates representing each club all on a corporate hospitality freebie for the week in some rich City and I hate the whole group stages rigged to make the rich richer and uphold the pretence the smaller clubs have a chance mixing with the big boys and don't get me started on that fucking music they belt out. Hated it when we weren't in it and hate it just as much now.

^^^^^Most of this!!

Well Chelsea have won two trophies , as opposed to our one , so you'd have to say that THEY'VE had the more successful season.

But they have finished 25 points behind us , and ten wins too , so Chelsea fans won't be happy about that one little bit ..... that's a long way to finish behind the title winners.

But they really didn't look like doing anything this season , they appeared in dissarray , so to finish up double winners is , to be fair , no mean feat for them.

Winning the Premiership is way above the Champions League. The CL is basically a cup. Neither of the finalists yesterday were champions in their own country. I'd much rather win the Premier League next year than the Champions League. In no way does winning the CL mean you are the best team in Europe. None.

Skashion said:
SWP's back said:
Madness. I really can't get my head around that at all. To win the CL is more luck than judgement. Yes, that makes it harder to win, but it's hard to win the half time raffle, I've had a go a few hundred times and not won it. Cups competitions are similar, they are a lottery.
I hope for some lucky wins like Barcelona has experienced since 2005/6 then in the near future. I do think it notable, that even in the era where the major European leagues each have three or four places that the European Cup, with the exception of Liverpool, has been won by teams with several league titles in the years immediately proceeding or following the Champions League triumph. The Champions League isn't being won from left-field by Turkish, Greek, Ukrainian teams etc. it's being won by serial champions from Europe's major leagues.
You have absolutely just proven my point with that comment. Barcelona have been the best club team the world have ever seen for 5 years and won the CL twice in that time.

The CL is harder to win but is rarely won by the best team their own country that season, let alone in Europe as winning it is not solely down to ability but also luck. Far more so than a league season. As for your "its not won by teams in Turkey etc" no it isn't, well spotted. The seeding and group stage sorts that out, leaving 16 half decent teams, just about any of which could then win it.

The Premier League will always carry more prestige with me. As stated, I'd take it over Europe every year.

I want City to be the best team around and winning your league is the best indication of quality. We also did it in style rather than parking the bus and being pretty fortunate

We're a much better side than Chelsea but I'm happy for their fans, and the likes of Lampard and Drogba, who have been trying to win the CL for nigh on a decade. I'm glad an English team won the CL (does not apply when it comes to the rags), I was cheering them on like many neutrals cheered us on.

I doubt either sets of fans would swap seasons now, I'd rather have a good run in the CL and win the PL than the other way round. In time I hope we win them both!

At the end of the day if you win the Champions League you are classed as being the Champions of Europe , whether you are actually the best team in Europe or not !

Otherwise there would be lttle point in winning it !

There is no other yardstick ...

To win the Premier League is probably more difficult , as it requires you to come out winners from a 'marathon' of games .... but to win the Champions League presumably requires you to beat a higher standard of teams , even if it's with less games.

United have won the league more times than they've won the FA cup, but no one would say that has more prestige or is harder to win than the premier league.

The reality is that cup competitions come down to talent but also a large slice of luck through draws or luck in one specific game as chelsea have proven.

We were beat by sunderland in the league due to an offside goal had that been the cup, chumps league we would have been out.

The league is the true test as to the best team and as a result I would rather win this but chelsea winning the chumps league has p*ssed me off admittedly.<br /><br />-- Sun May 20, 2012 6:49 pm --<br /><br />United have won the league more times than they've won the FA cup, but no one would say that has more prestige or is harder to win than the premier league.

The reality is that cup competitions come down to talent but also a large slice of luck through draws or luck in one specific game as chelsea have proven.

We were beat by sunderland in the league due to an offside goal had that been the cup, chumps league we would have been out.

The league is the true test as to the best team and as a result I would rather win this but chelsea winning the chumps league has p*ssed me off admittedly.

Rammyblues said:
IMO

1) Prem
2) CL
2A) Finishing in top four allowing to participate in CL following season and for financial reasons would be here but as there is no trophy for finishing second, third or forth default as the rags and Gooners have found out
3) FA Cup
4) Carling Cup

Any other trophy eg Super cup etc.
^^^This^^^

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.