Chelsea Thread 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
moomba said:
Castiel said:
Never ceases to amaze me how easily Mourinho can wind people up.

Doesnt wind me up. I used to like him but he's lost the charm that used to go along with his wummery. Its boring now, starting a fight with himself because no one else wants to play.
Or perhaps you're reading a bit too much into everything he says. I believe someone on here once said his greatest achievement was convincing the world that he's some sort of Machiavellian evil genius. Half the time I think he's just taking the piss out of these people that hang off his every word. He's been winding Wenger up for weeks and Pellegrini has been in the press having a moan. Seems to me like he's managing to wind some people up. Conveniently, the two managers he's competing with. Maybe he is an evil genius.

Castiel said:
moomba said:
Castiel said:

Doesnt wind me up. I used to like him but he's lost the charm that used to go along with his wummery. Its boring now, starting a fight with himself because no one else wants to play.
Or perhaps you're reading a bit too much into everything he says. I believe someone on here once said his greatest achievement was convincing the world that he's some sort of Machiavellian evil genius. Half the time I think he's just taking the piss out of these people that hang off his every word. He's been winding Wenger up for weeks and Pellegrini has been in the press having a moan. Seems to me like he's managing to wind some people up. Conveniently, the two managers he's competing with. Maybe he is an evil genius.

I can't recall Pellegrini having a moan, perhaps you misunderstood and he is taking the piss.

Shirley said:
Castiel said:
moomba said:

I can't recall Pellegrini having a moan, perhaps you misunderstood and he is taking the piss.
Maureen is on apr with wengerfor moaning.

Castiel said:

He doesn't wind me up.
The media hang on his every utterance and view him as some psychological mind game genius, whereas some of us see him for the boring busted flush he really is.
He isn't football's Sigmund Freud, he is a petulant bore who merely comes across as a Portuguese version of Harry Enfield's spoilt teenager character who should be old enough to know better.
Him and Chelsea deserve each other.
No style, no class, no substance.

He assaulted a fellow professional because he couldn't handle the pressure, where's the mind games in that, it's the arse licking English media trying to make him into the new ferguson, the reason he keeps going on about city winning the league is nothing to do with mindgames he is covering his own arse because he doesn't want it kicking?

Castiel said:
moomba said:
Castiel said:

What's he said?

moomba said:
Castiel said:

See I dont see it this way. If we were still shite we would love him coming back in again and winding every fucker up, the problem is we are the team in his way now so he does it to us and we dont like it (as well we wouldn't) so we use old rag/arsenal sayings like he is boring
Not calling you a rag mate im just saying its the same shit my rags and arsenal mates used to say to me in his first time around

I remember that Chelsea 2-3 defeat in 1989 very well. It was an unusual day as united were playing at home (with the same kick off time irrc) to Forest in the Quarter Final of the FA Cup - it should be a sobering thought to united fans that if they'd won that game it could have been them, and not the Liverpool fans, in the Leppings Lane that April, not least because it was allocated to Liverpool in that fateful semi for reasons of geography.

At Maine Road was what was being billed as the promotion decider, between the two clear stand-out teams in the division. It was a dreary, rainy Manchester day and I remember it kicking off outside quite a bit. There was certainly a menacing atmosphere around the ground that you rarely experience any more.

On the pitch, Chelsea showed that they were a class above us - we were no match and the scoreline flattered us tbh. Gerry Taggart scored for us iirc, not sure who got the other. The game was also notable for the camera tracks along a decent length of the pitch at the front of the Main Stand, designed to follow the play as it moved up and down the pitch. A far cry from the modern, robotically controlled contraptions of today, it was propelled by two blokes pushing it along with a camera man sat on the back- all wearing waterproofs! I remember one particular moment where it followed Neil McNab trying to keep up with the Chelsea right winger flying towards the Platt Lane, and using every last reserve of strength, managing to just get close enough to clatter him across the touchline with an intention of going for the ball of absolute zero. Classic eighties TV!

As to the Chelsea support that day, it was huge. They filled the Platt Lane and the standing section next to it. Easily 8,000 I would say. They could certainly call on notable levels of support when required.

It's incredible to think that was only a quarter of a century ago. Both on and off the pitch it was another world and little did any of us realise that a result that day a few miles away at Old Trafford would set off a chain of events that would change the landscape of English football forever.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
I remember that Chelsea 2-3 defeat in 1989 very well. It was an unusual day as united were playing at home (with the same kick off time irrc) to Forest in the Quarter Final of the FA Cup - it should be a sobering thought to united fans that if they'd won that game it could have been them, and not the Liverpool fans, in the Leppings Lane that April, not least because it was allocated to Liverpool in that fateful semi for reasons of geography.

At Maine Road was what was being billed as the promotion decider, between the two clear stand-out teams in the division. It was a dreary, rainy Manchester day and I remember it kicking off outside quite a bit. There was certainly a menacing atmosphere around the ground that you rarely experience any more.

On the pitch, Chelsea showed that they were a class above us - we were no match and the scoreline flattered us tbh. Gerry Taggart scored for us iirc, not sure who got the other. The game was also notable for the camera tracks along a decent length of the pitch at the front of the Main Stand, designed to follow the play as it moved up and down the pitch. A far cry from the modern, robotically controlled contraptions of today, it was propelled by two blokes pushing it along with a camera man sat on the back- all wearing waterproofs! I remember one particular moment where it followed Neil McNab trying to keep up with the Chelsea right winger flying towards the Platt Lane, and using every last reserve of strength, managing to just get close enough to clatter him across the touchline with an intention of going for the ball of absolute zero. Classic eighties TV!

As to the Chelsea support that day, it was huge. They filled the Platt Lane and the standing section next to it. Easily 8,000 I would say. They could certainly call on notable levels of support when required.

It's incredible to think that was only a quarter of a century ago. Both on and off the pitch it was another world and little did any of us realise that a result that day a few miles away at Old Trafford would set off a chain of events that would change the landscape of English football forever.

A fantastic account of what was a huge day of football in Manchester. While the 88-89 promotion season was just before I started attending City games on a regular basis (I only went to two that season - Plymouth and Palace at home so you can get your own back for me ribbing you about not going to York away lol), I still have vivid memories of that season.

Both City and Chelsea had poor starts to the season - Chelsea had been relegated from the top-flight after losing a 2-leg play-off against 'Boro and the trouble that ensued after the 2nd leg of that game at Stamford Bridge meant that away fans were banned from the Bridge at the start of the following season. That meant that when City went to Chelsea in September '88 for a night match, no City fans were officially allowed in. Both teams were desperate for a result to kick-start their season (I've just checked and we were 13th while Chelsea were 16th) and it was us that eventually ran out comfortable 3-1 winners in front of a sparse crowd of around 8000 fans. From then on both teams picked up form hugely, so much so that by the time of the return fixture 6 months later we were sat first and second respectively but as you say we were totally outplayed that day and while we would go on to eventually stutter over the line to automatic promotion, Chelsea's great form continued right to the end of the season and they ran away with it.

I'm still astonished that the police allowed both teams to play at home on the same day in two highly important games at the same time with Chelsea as one of the visiting teams, given they had a big reputation for hooliganism back then. A mate of mine was at the United v Forest cup game and he told me there was significant trouble there too and that United fans were largely responsible, randomly attacking Forest fans coming out of their end at the final whistle. I also heard a story years ago (not sure if true) that a group of City and United hooligans joined forces to attack Chelsea's mob that day as well.

As for the moving camera, I remember that footage of McNab's "tackle" very well - I'm pretty sure they included it on the opening credits to Kick Off!

Shirley said:
Well everything Mourinho says is picked apart so I feel his little rant about Mata along with Wenger suggests something got under his skin or he wouldn't have commented. All interpretation though.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
See I dont see it this way. If we were still shite we would love him coming back in again and winding every fucker up, the problem is we are the team in his way now so he does it to us and we dont like it (as well we wouldn't) so we use old rag/arsenal sayings like he is boring
Not calling you a rag mate im just saying its the same shit my rags and arsenal mates used to say to me in his first time around

Agreed. He's not winding up Moyes, or Rodgers or anyone else because they're not "in his way". In fact he's been pretty friendly towards them all. He was at AVB too earlier but that was probably personal. If Mourinho isn't trying to wind you up, it means he doesn't respect you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.