Chelsea thread 2020/21

Whilst I accept it's early days, Chelsea remind me of City in 2009 under Mark Hughes - good players but clueless and playing with a small time mentality in big matches

Also, Kante was fucking terrible

I really like the look of Timo Werner.

His game is slightly off being in a new league and all that, but when it all clicks he's going to look amazing!
He's good at a very specific way of playing but I'm not sure Lampard is the guy to get it out of him. He's excellent at making runs off the shoulder (although he'd be offside a lot which on here is a sin) and his pace is electric. He's historically not been great in closed spaces.

He's good enough that his quality will shine through, particularly with the team Chelsea will have built. And against us he'll definitely score on the counter. But I just feel he'd be better suited to a team like Arsenal or Tottenham that like to provide their forwards balls to run on to.

He's good at a very specific way of playing but I'm not sure Lampard is the guy to get it out of him. He's excellent at making runs off the shoulder (although he'd be offside a lot which on here is a sin) and his pace is electric. He's historically not been great in closed spaces.

He's good enough that his quality will shine through, particularly with the team Chelsea will have built. And against us he'll definitely score on the counter. But I just feel he'd be better suited to a team like Arsenal or Tottenham that like to provide their forwards balls to run on to.

I think that's accurate.

I saw he was having to do the magic himself and so ran out of space, taking on two to three opponents. He needs someone to see his run where he's up against one to two.

I agree with you!

That was very noticable today - 4 or 5 times in the first half Chelsea were slow to pass forward when the opportunity was clearly there

Disappointed with them today. Seemed to give Liverpool way too much respect and were hesitant in all the wrong areas. Obviously the team will settle and they had some players out who should improve them but I think i was getting carried away with the hype

Lampard had some player's out or not fully fit but he didn't pick the right team today. He should have played Hudson-odoi who would have got at either one of the dippers full backs. They will be up near the top of the table in May when they get everyone fit.

What is my overriding impression of the first two games of the season:

Werner. Wow. The real deal. Chelsea have still to sort out their defence. Les see CFC after they have a keeper and after Silva and Chilwell come in. I suspect they will still have problems.

Lampard picked the wrong team. Why he didn't play Giroud is a mystery. That fella is quality.

Even if you disagree (and likely most do) this is exactly why I said Lampard would struggle, so many people have questions when you lose. You bought all these players and don't play them? You bought Havertz to play him in a position he's never played in before to do the job of a donkey in a system that is so defensive? Lampard is his own enemy.

If results don't pick up fast he'll be gone by the end of next month.

Werner is rapid but his touch and decision making completely deserted him yesterday. Didn’t help that Chelsea’s midfield routinely failed to get the ball forward quickly enough.

It looked early on like Chelsea had a pretty good plan to pass through the press with Jorginho and Kovačić and then get the ball wide to Alonso on the touchline and Werner in the inside left channel to take advantage of Alexander-Arnold’s erratic positioning and Fabinho’s lack of pace at centerback.

Unfortunately, their midfield couldn’t cope with the press, Fabinho was excellent and they weren’t able to bring Havertz and Mount into the game at all.

Just reading on the BBC news page that roman abramovich has had secret investments in players that didn't play for chelsea....let's hope it gets the same scrutiny that our owners get.....no I don't think it will either.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.