Chelsea Thread | 2024/25

But, they’ve changed direction again, and if last night is anything to go by (yes, I know it’s pre-season, but they had a lot more first-teamers on display than we did) Maresco has a gigantic job on his hands.

They were all over the place at the back and didn’t really threaten us, until Raheem came on.

I really don’t see them challenging the top four.
Which is why I caveated it by saying if they become competent quick enough. I said further up they're currently a mess with a lot of work to do. It's just foolish to rule them out of top 4(potentially 5) reckoning when we don't expect them to be that bad throughout and there is as much uncertainty at other clubs tonthe extent that there isn't more than 2 nailed on candidates for top 4 going into the season.

Which is why I caveated it by saying if they become competent quick enough. I said further up they're currently a mess with a lot of work to do. It's just foolish to rule them out of top 4(potentially 5) reckoning when we don't expect them to be that bad throughout and there is as much uncertainty at other clubs tonthe extent that there isn't more than 2 nailed on candidates for top 4 going into the season.
Well; if we assume the top 3 will be the same as last season (the question being how the Murkysiders react to life after Bingo), then you'll have the rags (?), Spurs, Villa (?) and Newcastle (?) competing with Chelsea for the remaining spot (fifth isn't a certainty for a CL spot). There's no guarantee they'll get CL football in 25/26.

(sorry about all the brackets)

Well; if we assume the top 3 will be the same as last season (the question being how the Murkysiders react to life after Bingo), then you'll have the rags (?), Spurs, Villa (?) and Newcastle (?) competing with Chelsea for the remaining spot (fifth isn't a certainty for a CL spot). There's no guarantee they'll get CL football in 25/26.

(sorry about all the brackets)
I don't think Liverpool can be assumed at this stage. They were in need of a refresh whether klopp stayed or not, him leaving makes it even harder, has the markings of Fergie abandoning ship before it sunk. Fingers crossed.

I didn't say they were guaranteed it, my original comment was in reply to somebody who said they haven't got a prayer in the league and simply said we cannot rule them out of top 4 just yet.

They have the third best squad on paper in my eyes. If they get their act together, which I accept is a substantial if right now then due to the relative weakness of the chasing pack at least compared to recent past, there's an opening for them to get back in. They were an utter joke that made united look well run for most of last season yet ended up 2 wins from top 4, they're not as far off as some would assume.

I don't think Liverpool can be assumed at this stage. They were in need of a refresh whether klopp stayed or not, him leaving makes it even harder, has the markings of Fergie abandoning ship before it sunk. Fingers crossed.

I didn't say they were guaranteed it, my original comment was in reply to somebody who said they haven't got a prayer in the league and simply said we cannot rule them out of top 4 just yet.

They have the third best squad on paper in my eyes. If they get their act together, which I accept is a substantial if right now then due to the relative weakness of the chasing pack at least compared to recent past, there's an opening for them to get back in. They were an utter joke that made united look well run for most of last season yet ended up 2 wins from top 4, they're not as far off as some would assume.
We'll see. I don't rate Pochettino at all (very overrated, in my opinion), but Maresca is a downgrade, in my opinion. If they have an iffy start, Pep lite will be under severe pressure. Also, going on events last season, there's some spiky characters in that squad. If things are going a bit Pete, how will they react?

Maresca moaning about PSR and saying they had to sell Gallagher is funny.

Don't moan at the rules, moan at your owner who has abused the rules for the last two years by buying absolute dross for ridiculous fees
And, if he didn’t know the situation, when he took the job, he should have checked.

Don't moan at the rules, moan at your owner who has abused the rules for the last two years by buying absolute dross for ridiculous fees
Yep. Another hypocrite suffering with tunnel-vision, like the Pisscan, Bingo, Arteta and all the rest: see only what they want to see.

Maresca of all people should know that the way to avoid this problem is:
1. Recruit wisely, not throwing piles of cash around.
2. Run a great academy where our players gain a reputation for being well coached and sell a few when they are not going to make it big here.

But, they’ve changed direction again, and if last night is anything to go by (yes, I know it’s pre-season, but they had a lot more first-teamers on display than we did) Maresco has a gigantic job on his hands.

They were all over the place at the back and didn’t really threaten us, until Raheem came on.

I really don’t see them challenging the top four.

By all accounts Maresca's system relies heavily on wingers. He started the game against City with some combination of Gusto and Drewsbury-Hall on the left and for some reason Mudryk on the right, where he has never played before. Once Sterling and Madueke came on, we were much more of a threat going forward. Madueke in particular has looked brilliant this preseason.

Defensively we're all over the place. But considering all 4 goals conceded came from direct mistakes/misplaced passes I think it's something that can be rectified with more training. I felt like we defended pretty well when City had the ball. The problems arose when we had the ball. If we have to have defensive problems, I'd rather have problems when we're in possession, than not knowing how to defend against a good attacking team because the first one is far easier solved than the second one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.