Chelsea v City post match thread

nashark said:
Marvin said:
Yaya Toure's game has never ever been about charginga round closing people down. he can't do it. He's too big.

Hr didn't have a good game. But please don't call him lazy however frustrated you are

He is lazy though.

People aren't saying he had a bad game because he was squandering possession left, right and centre, they're saying it because he wasn't putting in that extra yard to track a run.

He might have a period where he chases the ball for 20 seconds, but that's outweighed by the next 5 minutes of walking about, doing nothing.

What's most frustrating about Yaya is that on his day and on the ball, he's the best player in the league. Yet off his day and off the ball, he's the worst player in the league. And he's not in a position where he can be described as a luxury player, he's playing in the centre of the pitch, and it's likely that when he decides not to turn up, we will get beat.

I'd love to know how many games, in our previously unbeaten season so far, he's not turned up?

Shocking that Yaya is getting criticism IMO mate. The accusations of laziness just because he doesn't dive into tackles giving away needless freekicks, or doesn't chase every opposition player because he understands how important his position is to the shape of the team, are just completely unfair. I'm pretty sure although I'll double check, that stats this season have shown he consistently covers the most ground of our central midfield players.

BillyShears said:
nashark said:
Marvin said:
Yaya Toure's game has never ever been about charginga round closing people down. he can't do it. He's too big.

Hr didn't have a good game. But please don't call him lazy however frustrated you are

He is lazy though.

People aren't saying he had a bad game because he was squandering possession left, right and centre, they're saying it because he wasn't putting in that extra yard to track a run.

He might have a period where he chases the ball for 20 seconds, but that's outweighed by the next 5 minutes of walking about, doing nothing.

What's most frustrating about Yaya is that on his day and on the ball, he's the best player in the league. Yet off his day and off the ball, he's the worst player in the league. And he's not in a position where he can be described as a luxury player, he's playing in the centre of the pitch, and it's likely that when he decides not to turn up, we will get beat.

I'd love to know how many games, in our previously unbeaten season so far, he's not turned up?

Shocking that Yaya is getting criticism IMO mate. The accusations of laziness just because he doesn't dive into tackles giving away needless freekicks, or doesn't chase every opposition player because he understands how important his position is to the shape of the team, are just completely unfair. I'm pretty sure although I'll double check, that stats this season have shown he consistently covers the most ground of our central midfield players.

I dont think he is lazy, just in my opinion he didnt look interested tonight. Dunno why though

BillyShears said:
nashark said:
Marvin said:

He is lazy though.

disagree, he's very lazy. just didn't look like he wanted to track back tonight but once he gets the ball he's off.

his passing was very poor. he has these games quite a lot where he's useless but then the next he'll have a blinder. he looks great when we are dominating but when we need someone to get a grip in the middle like tonight when they were all over us he goes missing.

At least no mid-week game now (for once), lots of time to rest before the visit of Robin Van Persie to the Etihad.

BillyShears said:
nashark said:
Marvin said:

He is lazy though.

Don't often agree with you Billy but you've been spot on with all your posts in this thread.

Yaya's a beast of a unit, he's not going to hare around the midfield like a 5'8" terrier, he's not Gelson Fernandes ffs, the closing down thing is someone else's job. Tonight was a night for NDJ and maybe RM missed a trick but fuck that, the trajectory's good, Bobby is still THE man. Onwards and upwards, blues, and laugh in the face of the rag fuckers tomoz, they're clutching at straws, tell 'em they're chasing the wind.

its funny watching yaya closing someone down though he ends up bumming them then giving away a free kick, every time

BillyShears said:

Bayern Munich's the only other one. But he shouldn't be having any games where he's non-existent.

BillyShears said:
The accusations of laziness just because he doesn't dive into tackles giving away needless freekicks, or doesn't chase every opposition player because he understands how important his position is to the shape of the team, are just completely unfair.

His position is to make the opposition play sideways. If they get in down the side, someone else is not doing their job. In response to that, he again retreats to get behind the ball. That's where he fails. He doesn't get behind the ball and doesn't track/isn't tight enough to the man he's supposed to be marking - the man who's supporting the play. That man tonight was Meireles who went onto score because Yaya didn't do his job.

BillyShears said:
I'm pretty sure although I'll double check, that stats this season have shown he consistently covers the most ground of our central midfield players.

That may be the case, but those yards are covered when he's got the ball and on one of his runs. Those runs, by the way, are a luxury. His role is to attend to his position first (as I mentioned above) and then if he gets the chance and is a good/fit enough player, go on those runs. But we have other ball carriers who, if they give away possession and get caught out of position, it's not that big of a problem. We can cope with it if David Silva loses the ball and is out of position because the space on the pitch he normally occupies and defends is nowhere near to where an attacking player can get in and be dangerous.

You're right lee :( but on the plus side when he's in possession the fucker closing him down just bounces of him.

nashark said:
Marvin said:

He is lazy though.

He's 6ft 3 and must weigh over 90kg. His physique gives him advantages and disadvantages. he's got power, but he hasn't got stamina. You've seen how long it takes him to recover after he makes a surging box to box run? He's built like a heavyweight boxer, and he'll never ever be able to run around like a Robbie Savage. His game is about passing, and well timed runs which are almost impossible to stop when he makes them eg Bayern

You can bemoan the fact that he doesn't close players down as well as others - fair point. But Yaya Toure has a strength athletes body, not the body of a marathon runner. I guarantee you that no matter how hard and far Usain Bolt ran, he would always struggle to run a 1,500m. And likewise a marathon runner would struggle to bench 100kg no matter how often they trained. There are some players who are explosive and can do some things that others can not, and at the same time struggle to do what you expect most footballers to do. Useful to incorporate these capabilities into a team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.