Chelsea v City post match thread

Yaya's weakness is fundemental for a player in his position.

It is inexcusable to track a player into the penalty area and then let him go.

All the good things he does are undone by moments like these

I remember Yaya getting a fair bit of stick in the early part of last season. I also recall that this grief increasingly diminished as his form palpably improved after Christmas.

He always looks fucked but it is no coincidence that he is the second name on the team sheet in the middle of the park after Silva. He will be vital for us when he returns from the ACN.

Is there a midfielder in the country that I'd swap him for? Not at utd, Liverpool or Arsenal, that's for sure.

In terms of tonight he was poor, especially his passing. I thought Barry was head and shoulders our best midfielder tonight. Strong and efficient.

Sunday's a big game now, but Arsenal's significantly lower physicality should prove no match for us at home. Big test for the squad but I'm sure they're up to it.

dave_blue12 said:

I feel like i'm on a one man Yaya crusade here - but - i have to ask, can you think of a single other occasion this season when Yaya hasn't tracked his man, either directly or indirectly leading to us conceding a goal? That's an honest question btw... it may well be the case that he's responsible for some of the ones we have conceded, I'd just be very surprised.

BillyShears said:
dave_blue12 said:

I feel like i'm on a one man Yaya crusade here - but - i have to ask, can you think of a single other occasion this season when Yaya hasn't tracked his man, either directly or indirectly leading to us conceding a goal? That's an honest question btw... it may well be the case that he's responsible for some of the ones we have conceded, I'd just be very surprised.

Ahem, right beside you tonight Billy.
(see my previous post)

I can't recall it costing us a goal but he does it regularly.

I'd have to rewatch our games to give you examples but frankly it was no surprise when it happened tonight.

What do you think went through his mind as he matched Mierres stride for stride heading toward the penalty area ?

Here we are at the danger zone - nah can't be arsed !

It is inexplicable that a top midfield player would do this ... and yet he did !

gordondaviesmoustache said:
He always looks fucked but it is no coincidence that he is the second name on the team sheet in the middle of the park after Silva. He will be vital for us when he returns from the ACN.

Is there a midfielder in the country that I'd swap him for? Not at utd, Liverpool or Arsenal, that's for sure.

I'd go as far to say that most midfielders would probably put him in a top 5 of players they'd least like to face. And lloydie, that probably explains why a lot of people put a disproportionate amount of blame at his door. We all know how good he can be, it's just so frustrating when he gets the basics wrong (stuff you learn at Schoolboy level), and given what's required of him playing in central midfield, his bad games usually cost us dearly.

The simple fact is that Yaya plays, runs, hustles when YAYA wants to, not necessarily when it is best for the team. If you watch the replay of their first goal, he tracks Meireles, but is NEVER goal side of him. As they enter the box, he simply ball watches and leaves Zabba at the back post to mark two players. Disgusting....as was him walking back from an attack when we were down to 10 men. Ballotelli ran back to try and cover for him, but to simply stroll back into midfield when we are being attacked with only 10 men on the field is simply not good enough.

I'll admit that he CAN BE a revelation. However, I can remember MULTIPLE times when he flicked a 10 yard pass only 5 yards and gave the ball away in our half of the the field, if not in the last 30. Bobbly Manc rates him an automatic when fit. My question is "IS he fit?" He is certainly not fit like Milner and Barry, who are both proving themselves to be INVALUABLE! Heck, Milner played left midfield, right midfield and right back during the game and was STILL going 100% flat out when the final whistle sounded....UFB!!

Tonight, Yaya should have been brought off, "with a niggle" to save face if necessary, and De Jong brought in to provide a stronger midfield. We ended up getting overrun in the second half because Chelsea were actually playing with midfield players!!

We NEED a "ENGLISH-STYLE" midfielder in the January transfer window, because against strong clubs, when the chips are down and we are under pressure.....as we are going to be multiple times this season, especially IF we do not score the THREE opportunities we make in the first 30 minutes...we LACK STEEL IN THE MIDDLE. De Jong is currently playing below par (don't know if he is still trying to recover from the ankle injury or what) and Barry and Milner are playing both ways ALL GAME, which is difficult under the best of conditions.

Sometimes, we simply need to put the flair on the shelf for half an hour and battle the other team into submission. if that means a hard four across the middle, with Silva as second striker, or having a rest, then so be it! With Silva AND Yaya on the field, we are exposing Barry and Milner against good midfields.

I know it is not the end of the world and that SIlva's non-penalty would have completely changed the game, but we can only compete against what is in front of us and tonight, after a BRILLIANT FIRST 30 MINUTES, we looked decidedly second best. When things breakdown, Balotelli is making runs for nothing, the midfield gets overrun while going forward and the defence starts to look a bit fragile. Vinny has not made a decent forward pass of more than 10 yards all season, Lescott looks uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and a player within 10 yards of him, Clichy looked like he thought he was playing against Messi, and it is simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH if we have hopes of winning the Prem.

As Bobby Manc keeps saying, it is a long season.....and we are about to be tested harder than at any time so far. By Saturday night, we will be second, and will need to get at least a draw against a resurgent Arsenal team to go top on GD! Looking at early January, ONE BAD WEEK and we could drop 3 pts at home to 'Pool, be almost out of the CC SF, and out of the FA Cup to the Rags! OR, we could be showing signs of a resurgent invincibility........!!!

Exciting times at City, and we are STILL obviously in a position most of us have waited a generation or more to see AGAIN! We NEED players who have no real Premier League OR City history to realize what this means to us and to put in the 100% effort needed to put us over the top.

COME ON LADS!!!!

BillyShears said:
dave_blue12 said:

Second goal away to Napoli. Was ball watching. He was nearest to cavani that's just one off the top of my memory.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.