City and the freemasons

Academica

Was talking to somebody yesterday who said they were a friend of Peter Swales and they said that Swales had told them stories about the deep connection between city and the freemasons. Even said that the wearing of sky blue had some mason connotation. Has anybody else heard about these supposed links.

I'm on my phone so can't find it, but go back a few pages (or more than a few) on this history forum and there is a thread about City and religion which talked about religion and freemasonry in the club.
Gary James gives as good an answer you will get

We certainly didn't get many favours from our Masonic links, if the filth are non Masonic and the good fortune and 'help' they receive is anything to go by then the advantages of Freemasonry are exaggerated plenty.

Always wondered if Swales' masonic links were the reason why, rather than being sacked, the likes of Book and Frizzell were deployed to different roles within the club after being relived of their managerial duties.

It wouldn't be a huge surprise if there was masonic involvement early on. Presumably many of the directors being successful(ish) Mancunian businessmen would also have been freemasons. Nevertheless, it didn't prevent the involvement of Jewish people in the club or stop us signing Roman Catholics so the influence could be overstated.

There's thread specifically devoted to City and freemasonry from back in 2009. It may be too old to feature in the searches on the forum now, because I tried to find it that way without success. However, I managed to Google it. The link is to page 5 of the seven-page thread, because that's where Gary James makes his first appearance: http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/city-and-the-masons.142687/page-5

As far as I know, the position hasn't changed significantly since Gary wrote the following in October 2009:

Proof doesn't exist and unfortunately Sidney Rose's article had errors, rumours and myths in it ... I covered it in "Manchester A Football History" (pages 358-359 & elsewhere) and my conclusion was: "the Masonic influence does seem far too strong to suggest the shirt's colour and branding is co-incidence" but at that point in the book I'm talking more about the use of the white Patee (often referred to as Maltese) cross that predates the use of blue.​

I'm sure if there's any update, Gary will provide it if he sees the thread and when he has time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.