City fan' letter in "Radio Times"

If I remember correctly the Radio Times only did BBC and TV Times ITV - which is why we had to buy both at Xmas

Correct. Pretty much everybody got both or none. I can only assume that they were the only two magazines allowed to sell tv listings for future days.

Must have hit them hard when it was opened up and a multitude of new magazines suddenly appeared.

What a fucking con it was though for all those years, forcing everyone to buy two separate magazines just to see what was coming up on the three channels.

Schoolboy error by Mr Tray...

The letter to the BBC publication should have been signed off "Disgruntled of Beswick" along with a threat to stop paying your licence fee.

Best wishes

Spartacus
Reminds me of the Del Amitri song "Nothing ever happens" with the line
"And angry from Manchester,
Writes to complain
About all the repeats on TV...."

Last edited:
*sticks nose in the air* Well of course, that’s why it is the ‘Radio Times* I subscribe to. Nothing but the highest quality for Eccles folk. ;-) :-)

My mum used to get the RT and circle all the programmes she was definitely going to watch on Christmas day and Boxing day, and then plan times for Christmas lunch, dinner etc around them.

She'd have gone completely bonkers if she'd lived long enough to have had Freeview etc.

Was there any discernible difference in which households received the Radio Times versus the TV Times?

The Radio Times was the more upmarket publication was it not?
The Radio Times covered BBC and the TV Times ITV, I recall. What a waste of trees! We only had three - then latterly four - channels to share between them.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.