City fans at Liverpool

While I wouldn't advocate singing that song at every City game, there has been a time in the past when it has had every relevance to the fans of our club. And that time was Friday April 25th 1997 at Carrow Road, Norwich. That was the day that the dear old IRA planted bombs all over the motorway network, causing traffic chaos up and down the country and resulting in hundreds of blues turning up for the match late. I don't make any apology for singing it that night, just as I don't make any apology for singing it in my local on June 15th 1996, the day the murdering scumbags bombed the fuck out of my home town for the 2nd time in less than 4 years resulting in me being stranded on a train between Deansgate and Piccadilly for a good hour and a half along with hundreds of other terrified passengers.

I'm sure that some people who sing it hate all things Irish, but I and plenty of others don't and on those few occasions I've sung it in the past it's been solely aimed at the terrorists themselves and nobody else. I went out with my ex for 10 years and she's an Irish catholic, and through her I forged friendships with many Irish people that exist to this day. I've visited Ireland about 30 times in the past 12 years, and been to numerous Irish weddings where I've heard all manner of Irish rebel songs. I've been in pubs and nightclubs in Ireland (and Levenshulme believe it or not) and had to put up with "IRA/Sinn Fein" chants being belted out by a good 90% or more of the people in those places every time "The Fields of Athenry" gets played. Funny how things like that hardly ever get mentioned. It's almost as though stuff like that is acceptable and is all too readily swept under the carpet.

blueju said:
But why would you want to sing it? I remember all our pub belting it out in a world cup years ago and couldnt really understand it...we werent playing either Irish team.
Why would you sing it at a Prem match watchin City? I never heard it at Maine rd (or dont remember) and never heard it at the Coms. Personally Hark now hear the City sing sounds much better, leave the past in the past.

Hang on, "Hark now hear, the City sing" is a song about football hooliganism.

Shouldn't that one be frowned upon too?

Citytillidie69 said:
JOGAMIGMOG said:
foley87 said:
i dont understand the meaning behind why no surrender shouldnt be sang

i thought the ira were scum...so why not sing it

someone like to explain to me

There isn't any reason why not as far as I'm concerned; The IRA were an illegal paramilitary terrorist organisation hell-bent on bringing about change through terror, murder, extortion and the like. Unfortunately, their 'leaders' now hold some of the top jobs in Northern Ireland.

Firstly what the hell has this got to do with football

And secondly if you are prepared to sing about an "illigal paramilitary terrorist organisation" to show your hatred towards them, then why are you not singing anti- UVF, UDA and LVF songs. Is it maybe because you have actually taken sides and are showing sectarianism over something you know nothing about - If so your as bad as the Celtic and Rangers bigots. THIS HAS NO PLACE IN OUR CLUB.

I hate all Irish terrorists on both sides of the divide, but:

1) The UVF, UDA, and LVF have never to my knowledge blown my home town to pieces and,
2) None of those have ever been directly responsible for fucking up the travel arrangements of City fans, whereas the IRA have.

So while I've already said that I agree it shouldn't be randomly sung week in, week out, to say it has fuck all to do with our club isn't strictly true is it?

Thre is a small minority of idiots at every club, Im Irish and I dont give a fuck about the IRA, am 21 and dont no anything about it and I dont want to no, thats all in the past as far as am concerned, theres no place for it at city.

I am slightly amused that the IRA spent decades butchering innocent people, but the only thing that moved some of you to hate them was being late for the Norwich game.

Didsbury Dave said:
I am slightly amused that the IRA spent decades butchering innocent people, but the only thing that moved some of you to hate them was being late for the Norwich game.

Yeah, clutching at straws to form an argument

Oh and apparently blowing up other peoples towns and houses is Ok - as long as its not in my back yard.

Didsbury Dave said:

LOL!! Actually, I was pointing out an example as to why singing that song was justified on that particular night. I was far more wound up the day they decided to rearrange the landscape of our city centre. I always hated them (and the loyalist terrorists) before that but the reality of things don't often hit home until you are directly affected yourself.

Citytillidie69 said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Oh and apparently blowing up other peoples towns and houses is Ok - as long as its not in my back yard.

I never said that. I'm not arguing with a fucktard like you - there's no point.

M18CTID said:
Citytillidie69 said:
Didsbury Dave said:

I never said that. I'm not arguing with a fucktard like you - there's no point.

LOL - name calling already - shows severe lack of class and intelligence IMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.