City Fans Leaving Early/Empty seats

First time I’ve left early in a long time against newcastle as I had work Saturday night and to be fair I can almost see the Appeal and can see why people would get into a habit of going early. It’s not saving 10 mins as a poster suggested, I saved 45 mins on leaving 5 mins before the end.

Again, it's a cultural problem that we have in UK. Everyone is on a hiding to nothing. Life and work is so fast paced over here, the only outlet most people have is a pint.

In other places I've been, you go to the football to watch the football. Like you would watch a film at the cinema, nobody leaves before the end. It's not just a City problem, it's the same at all big clubs. The infrastructure isn't right around the Etihad, but even if it was, people would still rush off.

First time I’ve left early in a long time against newcastle as I had work Saturday night and to be fair I can almost see the Appeal and can see why people would get into a habit of going early. It’s not saving 10 mins as a poster suggested, I saved 45 mins on leaving 5 mins before the end.

I HAD to shoot off or wait around for 2 hours for a train that may or may not have come, that being said this thread is hilarious what with the stay in your seat police and you're a shit fan if you don't get scraped off your seat just because you died.

I HAD to shoot off or wait around for 2 hours for a train that may or may not have come, that being said this thread is hilarious what with the stay in your seat police and you're a shit fan if you don't get scraped off your seat just because you died.

Everybody has their own circumstances, some fully warranted and we are all different. Close to home, my dad is a serial early leaver, and we had to really bite down on him as kids not to. But as I got older and go to games separately, he leaves early every week citing traffic. This is a man who has no social life outside of going to watch City home games. Just a typical Brit programmed into the rat race, he's never actually rushing off to be anywhere. There are thousands like him in the ground, I have no doubt.

We left early for this one when I was 18 due to his stupidity, and had to run back into level 1 to see Mario's penalty.

Screenshot_20230831-131630.png

The only game I have ever left early of my own accord was the below. I was disgusted at our performance that day. Sherwood's Villa, and a certain Fabian Delph and Jack Grealish ran all over us that day. I was taught my lesson as we went down the other end and stole a winner as I was walking away from the Emptihad. It's never worth leaving early, being a City fan has taught us that so many times. Funny how nobody admits they ran out of the ground during the QPR game. Our row was empty by 70 mins that day.

Screenshot_20230831-131112.png

Everybody has their own circumstances, some fully warranted and we are all different. Close to home, my dad is a serial early leaver, and we had to really bite down on him as kids not to. But as I got older and go to games separately, he leaves early every week citing traffic. This is a man who has no social life outside of going to watch City home games. Just a typical Brit programmed into the rat race, he's never actually rushing off to be anywhere. There are thousands like him in the ground, I have no doubt.

We left early for this one when I was 18 due to his stupidity, and had to run back into level 1 to see Mario's penalty.

View attachment 92063

The only game I have ever left early of my own accord was the below. I was disgusted at our performance that day. Sherwood's Villa, and a certain Fabian Delph and Jack Grealish ran all over us that day. I was taught my lesson as we went down the other end and stole a winner as I was walking away from the Emptihad. It's never worth leaving early, being a City fan has taught us that so many times. Funny how nobody admits they ran out of the ground during the QPR game. Our row was empty by 70 mins that day.

View attachment 92064

You've got trauma that indicates your proclivity to be negative to early leavers mate :)

But what are the majority of people doing with that saved time? What’s the point in saving the time unless they have work like you or a train to catch like others?

Saved time only matters if you have something you need to get to. If people are using that saved time to get home and sit in front of the tele, what’s the point? They might as well not save that time and stay to applaud the players off and sit in their car for longer listening to the radio.

It’s not like most people are actually doing anything with the saved time. Sitting in the car, sitting in their armchair, what’s the difference? It’s still the same day when they wake up the next morning. They’ve not saved time for anything.

This goes for all British fans, by the way, not just City fans. I think it’s a proper weird thing we have in Britain, leaving football games early. Just something that doesn’t enter my head as a thing to do. Unless you have something to do, I just find it odd! It’s like going to a restaurant and purposely not eating the full plate of delicious chef-cooked expensive food because I’m saving space in my belly for having a bobbins cup’o’tea and a digestive biscuit from Lidl when I get home.

Imagine listening to a conversation between a City fan and a River Plate or Aris fan, with the City fan telling them they leave City games 5 minutes early so they can get home 45 minutes earlier. They’d probably piss themselves laughing and tell the City fans they’re nuts that they're fortunate enough to have this fantastic football team and they watch rubbish yet choose to ditch watching that team to save 45 minutes for no reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
But what are the majority of people doing with that saved time? What’s the point in saving the time unless they have work like you or a train to catch like others?

Saved time only matters if you have something you need to get to. If people are using that saved time to get home and sit in front of the tele, what’s the point? They might as well not save that time and stay to applaud the players off and sit in their car for longer listening to the radio.

It’s not like most people are actually doing anything with the saved time. Sitting in the car, sitting in their armchair, what’s the difference? It’s still the same day when they wake up the next morning. They’ve not saved time for anything.

This goes for all British fans, by the way, not just City fans. I think it’s a proper weird thing we have in Britain, leaving football games early. Just something that doesn’t enter my head as a thing to do. Unless you have something to do, I just find it odd! It’s like going to a restaurant and purposely not eating the full plate of delicious chef-cooked expensive food because I’m saving space in my belly for having a bobbins cup’o’tea and a digestive biscuit from Lidl when I get home.

Imagine listening to a conversation between a City fan and a River Plate or Aris fan, with the City fan telling them they leave City games 5 minutes early so they can get home 45 minutes earlier. They’d probably piss themselves laughing and tell the City fans they’re nuts that they're fortunate enough to have this fantastic football team and they watch rubbish yet choose to ditch watching that team to save 45 minutes for no reason.
Many fans have caring responsibilities, kids, older relatives, sick partners, and it increases as life goes on until you are fucked yourself.

If you want to go to the majority of the games you have to be more efficient with time. Clapping players off, when 5 subs have already milked it, and the game was won 30 mins ago, won't be a priority for most. A lot of people have things to do which need doing.

The game itself or the team can't be that important to them. No one can convince me otherwise. My theory is they're simply going to the game out of habit and stuck in their ways. The older people get the more they hate change and can't change. It's kind've understandable when you're watching dross but this is the best team in the world and if you can't stay to watch brilliance then you cant be that interested or bothered.
100 % mate

A lot of the 'older people' you mention have been supporting City home, away, across land and sea to Europe and beyond for nigh on 50 years. Some even longer. These 'older people' have spent a genuine fortune on travel and tickets and invested an inordinate amount of money, time and effort watching games. These 'older people' have missed important family occasions and important times at work to follow City. So if these 'older people' want to leave ten minutes early when we are 3-0 up at home to Brentford or Luton, then that's OK with me. These 'older people' also get a little bit sick and tired of a johnny cum lately patronising them and telling them when they can and can't leave the stadium. I know. I'm one of those 'older people'.
Just because you're 'older' doesn't mean you get a free pass...if you're 80+ maybe :)

Spot on, 100 %

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.