city fanzines....

They're always at the top of the road entrance near the City Offices and the Merc dealership.

Tbh I don't buy them as all the views I could ever want are online however I would be interested in buying a pdf version if it became available, for the Ipad or something.

Blue Print used to make me laugh - loved their "Better Than Best" Colin Bell T-Shirts they used to sell in Piccadilly Records.

Electric Blue/BTH were always a cracking read...... even down to your playlists Noel....!! Was reading some old issues the other day and they brought a smile to my face - definately a fanzine which kept us smiling through some VERY dark days!!

KOTK - was always a good read too. I've not read it for a while now, but Dave and Sue Wallace used to to a good job there - my stand out memory from KotK is the "Kendall Gone" double cover issue!!

I've never read Chips and Gravy (sorry!!) so I can't comment on it.

Can anybody remember a short lived fanzine in A5 format - the name escapes me at the minute, but there was a section in it called"Chance At The Far Post, Hinchcliffe" (Or was that even the fanzines name??) I'll have to dig out them old fanzines again!!

Subscription details here for KOTK..

<a class="postlink" href="http://kingkippax.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://kingkippax.blogspot.com/</a>

Always look forward to getting mine delivered.

No mention for 'City till I Cry'. In it's latter days I thought it was outstanding.

Chips'n'Gravy was superb in its initial form. A while after its death it was re-born and was awful.

Electric Blue/BTH was always my favourite. I think it's because the style of writing and satire of it's writers just clicked with me. I met Steve Worthington the other week at a Supporters Club do and I have read his book. Nowhere else in this world do I find a writer like him who just hits the spot. That bloke has a special talent.

I write for KK now myself. I must admit, I want to try something different and go down the route some of the other fanzines went down, just to try and bring something different to it, but City keep giving me topical shit to write about and it's curtailing my natural ability!:)

DD said:
No mention for 'City till I Cry'. In it's latter days I thought it was outstanding.

Chips'n'Gravy was superb in its initial form. A while after its death it was re-born and was awful.

Electric Blue/BTH was always my favourite. I think it's because the style of writing and satire of it's writers just clicked with me. I met Steve Worthington the other week at a Supporters Club do and I have read his book. Nowhere else in this world do I find a writer like him who just hits the spot. That bloke has a special talent.

I write for KK now myself. I must admit, I want to try something different and go down the route some of the other fanzines went down, just to try and bring something different to it, but City keep giving me topical shit to write about and it's curtailing my natural ability!:)

Some of the piccies on the inside back cover in CTIC were superb. Remember the one where John O'Shea and a few of his chums were modelling the MANUre away kit!! Sorry ain't got the pic. Someone'll whip it on 'ere in the next five posts!

ctidcarl said:
Blue Print used to make me laugh - loved their "Better Than Best" Colin Bell T-Shirts they used to sell in Piccadilly Records.

Electric Blue/BTH were always a cracking read...... even down to your playlists Noel....!! Was reading some old issues the other day and they brought a smile to my face - definately a fanzine which kept us smiling through some VERY dark days!!

KOTK - was always a good read too. I've not read it for a while now, but Dave and Sue Wallace used to to a good job there - my stand out memory from KotK is the "Kendall Gone" double cover issue!!

I've never read Chips and Gravy (sorry!!) so I can't comment on it.

Can anybody remember a short lived fanzine in A5 format - the name escapes me at the minute, but there was a section in it called"Chance At The Far Post, Hinchcliffe" (Or was that even the fanzines name??) I'll have to dig out them old fanzines again!!

Think it was Singing The Blues and ran for couple years?

rhinomcfc said:
is there any city fanzines still going?? i ain't seen out like that for a very long time.

i used to love the ''chips and gravy'' fanzine always made me laugh, last time i seen chips and gravy fanzine was maine rd.

bring it back

Chips 'n Gravy ceased publishing in the 2006/07 season. The problem was mainly due to not having enough bodies to stand about selling it. I was able to produce material (thanks to many contributors), but at the end of the day myself and one or two others stood by the ground just couldn't physically sell enough copies between us to make it viable.

It was great fun doing it though. And make quite a few new friends thanks to it. And thanks to all who enjoyed it.<br /><br />-- Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:59 am --<br /><br />
1_barry_conlon said:
rhinomcfc said:
is there any city fanzines still going?? i ain't seen out like that for a very long time.

i used to love the ''chips and gravy'' fanzine always made me laugh, last time i seen chips and gravy fanzine was maine rd.

bring it back

They only did a handful of 'chips and gravy' if memory serves me correctly.

However you'll find that a lot of contributors to them other bastions of the fanzine world 'Bert Trautmans helmet' and 'city til i cry' actually post on here, so your world is not at a loss.

22 issues were produced in total.

When I did some research a few years back I found that the British Library had the following classified as MCFC Fanzines/Supporter Literature. This meant that somewhere within their archive they would have at least 1 copy of each:

Blue Print
The City Set
Cityzen
Electric Blue
Junior Blues News
King Of The Kippax
The Kippax: A Celebration
Main Stand View
Out Of The Blues
Purple Reign
Singing The Blues
This Charming Fan
True Blue

This list predated Chips n Gravy I guess (though it may be that the library doesn't have copies). Some of the above are not fanzines (eg. Jnr Blues); others are one-offs; Purple Reign was the London SC's mag; and then there are a couple I don't recognise (The City Set?).

"Better Than Best" Tee shirt - this was once seen in an episode of Cracker. 'Cracker's' son wore it.

I seem to recall that there was one in the late 80s called 'Rodney Rodney' although I never saw it.

Blueprint used to be quality in its era too. I wonder if Bill Borrows has retrieved his dummy that he spat out in the Thaksin era and has resurfaced yet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.