city fanzines....

Gary James said:
When I did some research a few years back I found that the British Library had the following classified as MCFC Fanzines/Supporter Literature. This meant that somewhere within their archive they would have at least 1 copy of each:

Blue Print
The City Set
Cityzen
Electric Blue
Junior Blues News
King Of The Kippax
The Kippax: A Celebration
Main Stand View
Out Of The Blues
Purple Reign
Singing The Blues
This Charming Fan
True Blue

This list predated Chips n Gravy I guess (though it may be that the library doesn't have copies). Some of the above are not fanzines (eg. Jnr Blues); others are one-offs; Purple Reign was the London SC's mag; and then there are a couple I don't recognise (The City Set?).

"Better Than Best" Tee shirt - this was once seen in an episode of Cracker. 'Cracker's' son wore it.

I understand that every issue of "City 'til I Cry!" is also logged with the British Library... and that goes back over ten years ago.

DD said:
I seem to recall that there was one in the late 80s called 'Rodney Rodney' although I never saw it.

Blueprint used to be quality in its era too. I wonder if Bill Borrows has retrieved his dummy that he spat out in the Thaksin era and has resurfaced yet.

Rodney Rodney was named after Marsh, of course, but was a general fanzine. I've got a couple of issues (somewhere in my collection), bought from Piccadilly Records.

Blue Print's 'founder' was Mike Kelly and it was the first City fanzine. "Out Of The Blues" in the 60s was supposed to be a supporter magazine but was, in truth, more of an official mag.

Soulboy said:
Gary James said:
When I did some research a few years back I found that the British Library had the following classified as MCFC Fanzines/Supporter Literature. This meant that somewhere within their archive they would have at least 1 copy of each:

Blue Print
The City Set
Cityzen
Electric Blue
Junior Blues News
King Of The Kippax
Main Stand View
Out Of The Blues
Purple Reign
Singing The Blues
This Charming Fan
True Blue

This list predated Chips n Gravy I guess (though it may be that the library doesn't have copies). Some of the above are not fanzines (eg. Jnr Blues); others are one-offs; Purple Reign was the London SC's mag; and then there are a couple I don't recognise (The City Set?).

"Better Than Best" Tee shirt - this was once seen in an episode of Cracker. 'Cracker's' son wore it.

I understand that every issue of "City 'til I Cry!" is also logged with the British Library... and that goes back over ten years ago.
City til i cry, in my humble opinion the best of the lot. I was gutted when they stopped doing it. KOTK never really did or does anything for me. But the front cover of C.T.I.C. Was always piss funny!!

Soulboy said:
Gary James said:

Blue Print
The City Set
Cityzen
Electric Blue
Junior Blues News
King Of The Kippax
Main Stand View
Out Of The Blues
Purple Reign
Singing The Blues
This Charming Fan
True Blue

..and so they should be. Some of the articles in there were Shakesperian like in their splendour.

Gary, there was also 'Fightback' during the mid to late 90s if I remember rightly. Wearethesouthstand could clear this one up.

m27 said:
Soulboy said:

..and so they should be. Some of the articles in there were Shakesperian like in their splendour.

Gary, there was also 'Fightback' during the mid to late 90s if I remember rightly. Wearethesouthstand could clear this one up.

You're right about The Fightback. Also, by law anything published in the UK has to have a copy deposited at the British Library, however items like fanzines tend to be missed. The Library can't keep track of them all and fanzine editors don't often know they are supposed to deposit them.

The idea is that future generations will be able to use the BL's collection to understand British Society - very important to get all City publications in there, otherwise people won't know we had views.

Gary James said:
DD said:
I seem to recall that there was one in the late 80s called 'Rodney Rodney' although I never saw it.

Blueprint used to be quality in its era too. I wonder if Bill Borrows has retrieved his dummy that he spat out in the Thaksin era and has resurfaced yet.

Rodney Rodney was named after Marsh, of course, but was a general fanzine. I've got a couple of issues (somewhere in my collection), bought from Piccadilly Records.

Blue Print's 'founder' was Mike Kelly and it was the first City fanzine. "Out Of The Blues" in the 60s was supposed to be a supporter magazine but was, in truth, more of an official mag.

Blueprint was my favourite City fanzine.

I bought the first issue at Plymouth during the 87/88 season (the day we lost 2-3 after being 2-0 up at half-time).

I got to know both Mike Kelly and Frank Newton, Mike's successor as editor. Frank was also the one who started the inflateables craze after he brought Imre Banana along to a couple of games.

I was really disappointed when Blueprint folded, as it was a quality 'zine and not as heavy as KotK and this is not a criticism of KotK.

m27 said:
Soulboy said:

..and so they should be. Some of the articles in there were Shakesperian like in their splendour.Gary, there was also 'Fightback' during the mid to late 90s if I remember rightly. Wearethesouthstand could clear this one up.

Are you having a laugh?

Most of it was puerile and juvenile. I mean who would put bunting outside OT to celebrate the 30th anniversary of them being relegated and then pose for pictures in the guise of Denis Law and Alex Stepney while having over the security staff?

It's just not believable!!!

However the stories of the 'Dogpack' used to make me smile as they sounded a thoroughly decent bunch of chaps who one could have a good time with.

1_barry_conlon said:
m27 said:
..and so they should be. Some of the articles in there were Shakesperian like in their splendour.Gary, there was also 'Fightback' during the mid to late 90s if I remember rightly. Wearethesouthstand could clear this one up.

Are you having a laugh?

Most of it was puerile and juvenile. I mean who would put bunting outside OT to celebrate the 30th anniversary of them being relegated and then pose for pictures in the guise of Denis Law and Alex Stepney while having over the security staff?

However the stories of the 'Dogpack' used to make me smile as they sounded a thoroughly decent bunch of chaps who one could have a good time with.

They sounded like people who would play Bingo in a boozer on Derby day afternoon.

1_barry_conlon said:
m27 said:

Are you having a laugh?

Ha! Ha!

Ah, memorable days indeed... happy but poor, eh?

You do know why they were christened the Dogpack, don't you... 'cos they followed the editor around like fucking lap dogs hanging on to his every word!

If only his kids listened as intently...!

;-)

m27 said:
1_barry_conlon said:
Are you having a laugh?

They sounded like people who would play Bingo in a boozer on Derby day afternoon.

And wrestle with the 72yr old 'cock of Salford' as well?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.