City & FFP | 2020/21 Accounts released | Revenues of £569.8m, £2.4m profit (p 2395)

Re: City & FFP (continued)

sam-caddick said:
Wio Gumflapdinand said:
Now hopefully UEFArce and the footballing world are satisfied as Barca and Real now own the top five players in world football. Reus and Aguero next over there and then we can all look forward to real vs Barca every year in the chumps league final.

Tell that to Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund.

The best players don't make the best teams.

Remind us who won the CL in 2013 and 2014? Bayern Munich and Real Madrid you say?

Brendan110_0 said:
sam-caddick said:
Wio Gumflapdinand said:
Now hopefully UEFArce and the footballing world are satisfied as Barca and Real now own the top five players in world football. Reus and Aguero next over there and then we can all look forward to real vs Barca every year in the chumps league final.

Tell that to Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund.

The best players don't make the best teams.

Remind us who won the CL in 2013 and 2014? Bayern Munich and Real Madrid you say?
It will eventually tell once they have the top 50 players in each team. I don't actually really think they'll compete against each other every year but it farcical that two teams have the monopoly of the best players while everyone else will fight over the scraps from their table

ColinLee said:
Exeter Blue I am here said:
George Hannah said:
We'll all see the effectiveness of UEFA's attack at the end of the season for sure, probably before the turn of the year actually. I sincerely hope you and the others who take your admirably optimistic view are right and we've negotiated ourselves out of danger. It seems however that on the current evidence we are in grave danger of being overtaken by a number of our rivals.

I think you're absolutely right. I was gutted today to see Sanchez go to the Arse, and I fully expect to see the rags spend at least another £60 or £70m this summer. With our rivals having all strengthened significantly, the fight for a CL place next season will be desperate, and if we cop for the kind of injury problems we got last year we may struggle to make the cut. Those that say FFP won't affect us are fantasists. It already is......and significantly. If we can finish top 4 next season and break even, then all bets are off, but if we don't then we could be in more trouble than we think in the long term.
So, just the one from yourself (who would Sanchez replace BTW?) and George is unusually quiet.

So surely we've not been 'significantly' hamstrung then and we've quietly strengthened where we needed it (once the CB is sorted). I for one think our starting 11 is as strong or stronger than anyone else in the PL with top drawer backup regardless of any further signings from our rivals (short of the rags just buying Real Madrid's entire team).
I have opined on this subject elsewhere, (alas too frequently) but for the sake of clarification:
The top clubs have all strengthened with marquee players or in the process of doing so, Lewandowski to Bayern, Falcao to Madrid, Suarez to Barca, Costa to Chelsea, Sanchez to Arsenal etc.
These are in addition to high quality upgrades not quite at that level such as Fabregas, Marquinhos, Kroos et al and this is where I see our own current signings including Mangala/Benatia.
If the Swampies follow suit with either or both of Vidal & Di Maria I think the pool of world class talent on the market in this window will have been pretty much fished out. The major clubs all manage at least one big signing each season and so far we haven't. Also I think we have obvious positions which need strengthening but haven't been and attribute this inaction entirely to the UEFA attack.

As for the name game I think either Sanchez or Di Maria could have been ideal giving us extra pace and if Yaya goes (highly unlikely as that would be) someone like Vidal or Kroos is needed as a matter of urgency. Luke Shaw would have been a great acquisition too. One or more of Garcia, Negredo, Nastasic, Navas, Kolarov along with Rodwell and Richards would have to make way.

George Hannah said:
ColinLee said:
I think you're absolutely right. I was gutted today to see Sanchez go to the Arse, and I fully expect to see the rags spend at least another £60 or £70m this summer. With our rivals having all strengthened significantly, the fight for a CL place next season will be desperate, and if we cop for the kind of injury problems we got last year we may struggle to make the cut. Those that say FFP won't affect us are fantasists. It already is......and significantly. If we can finish top 4 next season and break even, then all bets are off, but if we don't then we could be in more trouble than we think in the long term.
So, just the one from yourself (who would Sanchez replace BTW?) and George is unusually quiet.

So surely we've not been 'significantly' hamstrung then and we've quietly strengthened where we needed it (once the CB is sorted). I for one think our starting 11 is as strong or stronger than anyone else in the PL with top drawer backup regardless of any further signings from our rivals (short of the rags just buying Real Madrid's entire team).
I have opined on this subject elsewhere, (alas too frequently) but for the sake of clarification:
The top clubs have all strengthened with marquee players or in the process of doing so, Lewandowski to Bayern, Falcao to Madrid, Suarez to Barca, Costa to Chelsea, Sanchez to Arsenal etc.
These are in addition to high quality upgrades not quite at that level such as Fabregas, Marquinhos, Kroos et al and this is where I see our own current signings including Mangala/Benatia.
If the Swampies follow suit with either or both of Vidal & Di Maria I think the pool of world class talent on the market in this window will have been pretty much fished out. The major clubs all manage at least one big signing each season and so far we haven't. Also I think we have obvious positions which need strengthening but haven't been and attribute this inaction entirely to the UEFA attack.

As for the name game I think either Sanchez or Di Maria could have been ideal giving us extra pace and if Yaya goes (highly unlikely as that would be) someone like Vidal or Kroos is needed as a matter of urgency. Luke Shaw would have been a great acquisition too. One or more of Garcia, Negredo, Nastasic, Navas, Kolarov along with Rodwell and Richards would have to make way.

1) FFP sanctions are for 1 year

2) A team like MCFC were in a very different place than MUFC, or Chelsea

You don't rebuild the Champions, you supplement it and look where the weaknesses are and try and strengthen those positions. That's what we have done

Just what is the obsession with Luke Shaw? He's a good young English player but he's not better than Kolarov or Clichy. Utd overpaid massively, and if we had done that we'd have been subject to a lot of criticism

You guys are losing sight of the bigger picture. In 2016 both Barca and Real lose their ultra-lucrative solo TV deals (it was supposed to be 2015 but both clubs willingly accepted the punishments for deliberately signing a new solo TV deal which went over the proscribed end date). After this happens they could lose perhaps £50m revenue every season, which is going to really hurt their ability to sign players like this. What Barca and Real are doing right now is jealously hoarding players so that when their TV deals end they have as little need to splurge on galacticos as possible, because they won't be able to do it so often in future.

andyhinch said:
ColinLee said:

I refer you back to my original post again, where I stated clearly, Jovetic. Nothing against the lad, I just think a Dzeko, Beast, Kun, Sanchez quartet, would have provided a better balance than Dzeko, Beast, Kun and Jo Jo. Take Aguero out of the equation and there's very little in the way of pace up top, and given his injury record last season, Sanchez would have been prudent like for like (ish) cover, plus he can do a turn out wide. Counterattacking is a CL staple, and I think we need to improve this aspect of our game.
As to your second point, we do indeed have a good looking squad, but there's no way you're gonna convince me that the acquisitions of Fernando and Sagna, will benefit us more than say Fabregas and Costa will benefit Chelsea. Like I said, the battle for a top 4 spot next season will be the most brutal yet, and with an ageing squad, we need the financial boost of continuous qualification to negate the impact of FFP more than any of our rivals
Ageing squad? What's the average age.

In no particular order, as of this August when the season starts; Kolarov 28, Clichy 29, MdM 33, Zab 29, Fernandinho 29, Vinny 28, Silva 28, Ya Ya 31, Milner 28, Beast 29.

That's 10 players either pushing, or already over, 30, and 7 of them are first team starters, week in, week out. We're ok for a year or two, but that's a lot of players that will need replacing at great expense, at around the same time. Continuous Chimps League football will be instrumental in funding that. Our rivals are strengthening significantly, whilst we have been nobbled by UEFA. At the moment, I would not rate any of last year's top 4, or the hypocritical rags, who I fully expect to spend at least another £100m before the window closes, as any more likely than the other to secure a place in next year's tournament.

andyhinch said:
I refer you back to my original post again, where I stated clearly, Jovetic. Nothing against the lad, I just think a Dzeko, Beast, Kun, Sanchez quartet, would have provided a better balance than Dzeko, Beast, Kun and Jo Jo. Take Aguero out of the equation and there's very little in the way of pace up top, and given his injury record last season, Sanchez would have been prudent like for like (ish) cover, plus he can do a turn out wide. Counterattacking is a CL staple, and I think we need to improve this aspect of our game.
As to your second point, we do indeed have a good looking squad, but there's no way you're gonna convince me that the acquisitions of Fernando and Sagna, will benefit us more than say Fabregas and Costa will benefit Chelsea. Like I said, ithe battle for a top 4 spot next season will be the most brutal yet, and with an ageing squad, we need the financial boost of continuous qualification to negate the impact of FFP more than any of our rivals

In no particular order, as of this August when the season starts; Kolarov 28, Clichy 29, MdM 33, Zab 29, Fernandinho 29, Vinny 28, Silva 28, Ya Ya 31, Milner 28, Beast 29.

That's 10 players either pushing, or already over, 30, and 7 of them are first team starters, week in, week out. We're ok for a year or two, but that's a lot of players that will need replacing at great expense, at around the same time. Continuous Chimps League football will be instrumental in funding that. Our rivals are strengthening significantly, whilst we have been nobbled by UEFA. At the moment, I would not rate any of last year's top 4, or the hypocritical rags, who I fully expect to spend at least another £100m before the window closes, as any more likely than the other to secure a place in next year's tournament.

But as PV said we should by then see some of the academy's players come through (hopefully)

George Hannah said:
ColinLee said:

You mean RB rotation/backup, an out and out DM, good quality competition for Hart or a good CB partner for Kompany?
Or are you looking at other positions?

spanishblue said:
andyhinch said:

But as PV said we should by then see some of the academy's players come through (hopefully)

I think that's very much the operative word. In honesty though, I don't see that happening with the current bunch of 18/19 year olds, but rather with the 13/14 year olds we are now developing. They will hopefully have had the full benefit of coming right the way through the new and improved Academy set up. Even then though, I'd be cautious of expecting too much. You might get one or two goodies from the same crop, but generally speaking, the great Barcelona side of 3 or 4 years ago were something of an exception to the rule

ColinLee said:
You mean RB rotation/backup, an out and out DM, good quality competition for Hart or a good CB partner for Kompany? Or are you looking at other positions?

You don't catch me out so easily with these slippery questions ;-)

bale_zps2320b665.jpg

our ideal new left back

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.