City & FFP | 2020/21 Accounts released | Revenues of £569.8m, £2.4m profit (p 2395)

Re: City & FFP (continued)

If we agree to a settlement we're admitting to have done wrong which we haven't. It's the principal.

Forzacitizens said:
If we agree to a settlement we're admitting to have done wrong which we haven't. It's the principal.

I know it's a long thread, but this has been discussed many many times, and no it doesn't necessarily mean that.

We can agree a settlement whilst admitting no liability whatsoever. And it depends what's in the settlement. If UEFA say "look, we have to be seen to do something, but we promise to let you include your Etihad and IP deals going forward and we won't fail you again" then we may well accept.

I think either way we're going to lose out. All this week I've been thinking take them to court. If we did that, we'd possibly have no champions league for a few years which would mean our star players would leave. If we won the court case we'd be at the start again and they would probably have some new rules in place. If we accept the fine we would be liable for future sanctions and it will allow them to take the piss out of us.

On the other hand, we've got some of the most powerful people in the Middle East owning us. I have faith that we will overcome anything the put in front of these jokers.

Manchester_lalala said:
I think either way we're going to lose out. All this week I've been thinking take them to court. If we did that, we'd possibly have no champions league for a few years which would mean our star players would leave. If we won the court case we'd be at the start again and they would probably have some new rules in place. If we accept the fine we would be liable for future sanctions and it will allow them to take the piss out of us.

On the other hand, we've got some of the most powerful people in the Middle East owning us. I have faith that we will overcome anything the put in front of these jokers.

And UEFA have powerful allies in the Middle East too, be wary of thinking the battle will be one-sided.

willy eckerslike said:
Manchester_lalala said:

And UEFA have powerful allies in the Middle East too, be wary of thinking the battle will be one-sided.

...I’m not sure UEFA have a whole nation behind them.

Chippy_boy said:
Forzacitizens said:

I know it's a long thread, but this has been discussed many many times, and no it doesn't necessarily mean that.

We can agree a settlement whilst admitting no liability whatsoever. And it depends what's in the settlement. If UEFA say "look, we have to be seen to do something, but we promise to let you include your Etihad and IP deals going forward and we won't fail you again" then we may well accept.
There are two hurdles left:

This review, and the next which covers the same two seasons

2011/12 £97.8m loss
2012/13 £51.6m loss
plus this season 2013/14 which may well be profitable. This is the season when the Sky/BT deal comes into effect and the broadcasting revenues for the team that wins the title are estimated to increase from the £60m Utd received last season to around £100m for this season's title winners.

After that the £98m loss disappears from the tests and it should be straightforward

If City can be confident that there wont be any serious issue in 12 months time, it makes sense to me to accept a reduced sanction. How City have landed a fine for investing in the football club and transforming the club from a struggling club desperately clinging to the coat-tails of the Premiership, to one of Europe's leading clubs will be an embarrassment to clubs like Arsenal for years to come.

City maybe confident of winning an appeal or from taking legal action, but it's a risk, and it does not fit the consensual approach which our owners like to take

If we've been in discussion with UEFA throughout the FFP process, then we should have documented evidence of their responses to our submissions. We have heard assurances that our executives were 'confident' about the prospect of passing FFP (anecdotally on here, and in the media), so that confidence must have been partly built on discussions with UEFA.

I can only think that the vested interests have forced a review of our submissions and decided that we won't pass. David Gill is a chartered accountant after all, and with his knowledge of the subject, and his partisan standpoint, he will have been able to drive forward his required outcome for his committee to implement, no doubt.

Ultimately it comes down to how the legal people at City perceive how UEFA have gone about this. If they do think that UEFA have deliberately targeted City, then that is a declaration of war in its own right, and there's no way they'll tolerate it, because it wouldn't be the last time. It would be a constant, ongoing problem. City ought to be fine in the future, so if it's a one off and they're confident of that, then they'll wear it. It all depends on how they view it in those terms. Even if they strongly disagree with the assessment, they won't go for the nuclear option if they believe it's a one off, they won't think it's worth it.

This 'war' will make a very interesting book, a cartel defending the indefensible marching under the banner of ' fair play ' , whilst in reserve they are backed by the powerful 'vested interests ' of BskyB and assorted sponsors who have benefited so richly from the monopoly they have created. On paper they would appear invincible, after all they write the rules, even worse they interpret the rules as they see fit with no oversight from a neutral body.
They have given themselves remarkable powers, outside football matters and into commercial valuations of sponsorships an area where eye-watering deals for the sky four are not even discussed, compare this to the scrutiny City have been subjected to and deemed to have failed.
The punishment deemed appropriate for City is in contrast to the punishment for match-fixing, ongoing organised racial abuse, fan violence, the dodgy financial deals that are part and parcel of Spanish football.
The £50, 000, 000 fine plus squad restriction looks suspiciously like naked provocation, as though there is a tacit agreement between uefa and CAs that the result is a foregone conclusion for any appeal.
We live in interesting times, let's hope the good guys win

Hung said:
willy eckerslike said:
Manchester_lalala said:

...I’m not sure UEFA have a whole nation behind them.

I'm sure they haven't got barrack Obama on speed dial like mansour has. Maybe we can get him to get involved and nuke uefa hq.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.