City games allegedly fixed

There's a difference between acknowledging that corruption in football exists, as it clearly does, and specifically accepting that there is a concerted effort amongst PL referees to cheat City. They are two separate arguments.
That was my whole point yesterday. Do i believe all these organisations are out to get City. No. Do i believe the refs are told by pigmol to make decisions to hamper us. No.

Not fudging anything mate. Just think that some of our fan base are becoming increasingly paranoid and irrational. Each to their own though!

You'll cop some flak for that.

Last edited:
As has been said numerous times mate. It's us City that has made this PL the way it is, and other teams too. The revenue has never been bigger these last few years. You think they would risk all this, Billions of pounds and as I just said certain prison sentences for folk, just to stop us and for what?

Exactly what got Blatter and his pals, greed.

Whilst there is corruption in sport when it comes to betting the bookmakers are well on the ball. I worked at William Hill in the 80's before we had all the info at our fingertips. The North West hub was in Stockport where bets were monitored outside of horse racing. So, if a stranger walked into a shop and wanted just £10 on say Miss World winner the Manger had to ring in and ask if the bet could be taken. Any unusual pattern could be quickly established and snuffed out.

A snooker player called Peter Francisco was playing in the World Championship at the Crucible ine afternoon, he and his opponent played the game in the morning away from the Crucible in a snooker club, they played it competitively and then replicated it at the Crucible the same afternoon. A significant number of bets were placed at shops around the North West on the Correct score but within around 30 minutes betting was suspended due to "unusual activity" and all bets were declared void.

That was over 30 years ago, now with all the technology im sure even Clattenberg wouldn't be involved with fiddling for betting sake. Ok, betting in the Asian market is open to abuse but those guys are not stupid, once a dodgy decision cost them a few bob they will be wary and monitoring the bets involving the protagonist. I'm not saying it hasn't happened but it's unlikely anyone gets away with it too often before being bubbled.

Some refs are shit and like being the centre of attention and love to suck up to media darlings like Trafford Rangers, the Spuds and the bin dippers, don't think anything is any more sinister than that.

Whilst there is corruption in sport when it comes to betting the bookmakers are well on the ball. I worked at William Hill in the 80's before we had all the info at our fingertips. The North West hub was in Stockport where bets were monitored outside of horse racing. So, if a stranger walked into a shop and wanted just £10 on say Miss World winner the Manger had to ring in and ask if the bet could be taken. Any unusual pattern could be quickly established and snuffed out.

A snooker player called Peter Francisco was playing in the World Championship at the Crucible ine afternoon, he and his opponent played the game in the morning away from the Crucible in a snooker club, they played it competitively and then replicated it at the Crucible the same afternoon. A significant number of bets were placed at shops around the North West on the Correct score but within around 30 minutes betting was suspended due to "unusual activity" and all bets were declared void.

That was over 30 years ago, now with all the technology im sure even Clattenberg wouldn't be involved with fiddling for betting sake. Ok, betting in the Asian market is open to abuse but those guys are not stupid, once a dodgy decision cost them a few bob they will be wary and monitoring the bets involving the protagonist. I'm not saying it hasn't happened but it's unlikely anyone gets away with it too often before being bubbled.

Some refs are shit and like being the centre of attention and love to suck up to media darlings like Trafford Rangers, the Spuds and the bin dippers, don't think anything is any more sinister than that.

That'll be why there's no betting- related corruption in cricket, then

There is no organised conspiracy against City. However there is, in my opinion, a whole raft of reasons why we get treated differently.

By the authorities because the vested interests of both the traditional big clubs and the traditional smaller clubs is against us. One to keep the money for themselves, the other to stop another larger share of the pie being excluded from them. The media also puts pressure on because they have a cosy relationships with the 'big clubs' and because of audience desires have pundits, commentators etc who are also friendly to the the traditional big clubs.

By the Refs, this is in the main because of the media. If the media spin is all negative against us, as above, then subconsciously this will impact upon refs decisions. Combined with the media hype over decisions, a clear simple no brainer decision to send off a play who kicks a goal keeper in the head becomes a major talking point, sending off a player for a second yellow when he stays on the pitch for over celebrating isn't mentioned by anyone. This too will subconsciously and possibly consciously impact on decision making. If you get it wrong it's safer to be wrong about City then the opposition. Conversely if it's a traditional big club Utd or Liverpool you know if it's wrong on their favour you'll not be vilified.

You're right about the lengths that are gone to in regulated betting markets to stamp out fraud, but it would seem that a lot of the Far East markets are unregulated and are sometimes used to dupe the customer rather than vice versa.

Any sport that has the amount of money involved as football does has corruption. I'm convinced there are fixed incidents in many, many games each season. There are a few academics researching this sort of thing and when I get chance I'll be looking at refereeing myself (though it may be another year or so before I do). The key to spotting possible corruption is looking for patterns and then finding unusual incidents along the way. If a ref or linesman frequently get offside decisions wrong then that's ineptitude but if they don't but tend to suddenly do it in a big game or a crucial moment then that suggests something odd. If they then do it again in a similar circumstance or involving the same teams then that's extremely odd. Looking for patterns highlights these inconsistencies but in themselves that can't prove something is fixed or corrupt. Any match-fixer or dodgy ref would have to be poor at his job to be caught out or would have to admit it, but if we highlight patterns of unusual activity then that does put pressure on.

For an entire match to be fixed you would need the majority of players and officials to be in on it and so that's unlikely. From what I've been told the majority of gambling related 'fixes' tend to be around incidents like 'first corner', 'first foul', 'penalty given in a specific minute' as these are easier for individual players to control. Most of these (other than the penalty) are perceived as harmless by those fixing the incident - who gets hurt if a player gives away a throw in on the 17th minute? Academic research suggests players get offered bribes or are victims of blackmail to carry out a fixed incident and go along with it to avoid scandal or to make some money believing a simple throw in, yellow card or whatever won't affect the outcome of their match and so they won't let their teammates down etc. But the truth is that any incident could have a knock on and affect the result.

Exactly what got Blatter and his pals, greed.

No argument there. What blatter did and his cronies is totally different to our debate on refs. A lot of posters are adamant theres a concerted effort to stop us, by any means possible. Wether thats fixing every cup draw, or, which is the current topic. Refs being instructed to make sure we don't win.

No argument there. What blatter did and his cronies is totally different to our debate on refs. A lot of posters are adamant theres a concerted effort to stop us, by any means possible. Wether thats fixing every cup draw, or, which is the current topic. Refs being instructed to make sure we don't win.
And there you go again twisting what has been said.
Most people think games are fixed, and not specifically about City. It's you that keeps trying to attach it to just City.

Clearly most examples given will be City games because there the ones, in the majority, that we watch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.