City launch legal action against the Premier League | City win APT case (pg901)

In no other sphere of business that I can think of is an owner barred from investing their wealth into their company.

This alone shows up FFP, PSR & APT for what they really are... Restraint of trade by a cartel trying to create a monopoly.

Sure - but in any other business, the owners could decide to asset strip and close it down. We only have to look across Manchester to see that a "normal" practice of loading a business with debt when you're buying it, isn't good for football.

I agree that the clubs that happened to be big in the 90s/00s have stitched things up, but football shouldn't be like any other business.

He’ll probably be asked to fall on his sword. He can’t be sacked as that would be akin to an admission of liability. It didn’t make sense he had to leave that event early this week. The story was that it was to prepare for next week’s meeting. He needs a week to prepare? He was called somewhere.
Why would Masters quit after such an epic legal victory for the PL?

Sorry if this sounds simplistic (I am obv) but does it matter if the vote is 19 - 1? Surely if the rules are deemed illegal, the club just take the whole lot to court and the threat of that should surely carry the day.
The way I see it, an organisation can introduce a rule and until it is proven illegal then it's ok. If the rule is challenged in court and they determine its in contravention with English law then that rule is deemed illegal and regardless of any vote it remains so.

Sure - but in any other business, the owners could decide to asset strip and close it down. We only have to look across Manchester to see that a "normal" practice of loading a business with debt when you're buying it, isn't good for football.

I agree that the clubs that happened to be big in the 90s/00s have stitched things up, but football shouldn't be like any other business.
Business is Business mate. How an owner chooses to approach it is purely subjective.

The Glazer's loaded ManUre with leveraged debt. Sheikh Mansour used his own money. Both have spent huge sums, but the Glazer's used the profit & sponsorship money to further invest in the playing side of the club, whilst taking a slice for themselves. Our owner did the same, but has opted to reinvest the slice he's entitled to, to further grow his business. That's the difference.

By doing this, SM has exponentially increased the value of his initial investment from £100m to nearly £6bn, whilst ManUre are £1bn+ in debt.

Rather than compete with this, the cartel have opted to stop City by any means necessary, & if this means trashing the PL in the process, it's evidently a price they're willing to pay.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.