City launch legal action against the Premier League

What Bloom has got to realise is with 115 charges thrown in your face the battle lines have been drawn. City are bang on, fuck what the rest of the league think. Rules dreamed up just to kick one club up the arse for the sake of four other clubs should fail, lets hope it does.

Bloom has built Brighton by applying a moneyball approach to players. He finds good players on the cheap (using similar algorithms to Starlizard) and sells them at a huge profit.He then uses that profit to buy even better players and so on. Brighton and Brentford have shown it’s the only way smaller clubs can compete with the rich elite.

So it’s not a case of no ambition, that is the business model.

Firstly.

I didn't know Bloom had spent all that money this Summer. Fair play to him for reinvesting in the team.

But if Bloom and Brighton keep on selling their best players, the club and the team will never jump to the next level. Brighton will always be a well run farming club, finding players other clubs miss, and then selling them on to clubs like Chelsea who are prepared to pay silly money for those players.

There's also no guarantee Bloom and Brighton will continue finding these players/hidden gems. Brighton have done really well in doing that over the last few seasons, but it's a tuff ask to keep on doing that season after season.

Given the choice I'm sure the vast majority of Brighton fans would rather see Brighton keep their best players and make a genuine and sustained push for European football on a regular basis.

If I remember correctly, Southampton had a similar setup a few years, but were raided by Liverpool and other PL clubs.

I do accept you can't convince a player to stay if a much bigger club comes in for him. It's human nature to want to play for a bigger club, to play at the top level, to play in Europe, and to win trophies and titles.

I'd just like to see the likes of Brighton and other well run mid-table PL clubs keep their best players, push for Europe, and rock the PL apple cart for a few seasons, if not longer.

Brighton have proved they can compete and beat teams like United, etc. It would be great to see the Brighton's of this world above United in the PL on a regular basis, not just for the odd season.

Yesterday I admitted I didn't know too much about the Rail industry after you questioned me, held my hands up. Will you now do the same after calling Tony Bloom a "bookie", he looks for weakness in betting markets and very successfully exploits that, not the other way around.
Fair enough.

I'll bow down to your greater knowledge.

I'd just like to see the likes of Brighton and other well run mid-table PL clubs keep their best players, push for Europe, and rock the PL apple cart for a few seasons, if not longer.

Brighton have proved they can compete and beat teams like United, etc. It would be great to see the Brighton's of this world above United in the PL on a regular basis, not just for the odd season.
We have FFP/PSR precisely to prevent this from happening

I agree he could be equally getting at the PL and he hasn’t actually said that much.
I don't see anything desperately wrong or overtly critical of us in what Bloom said. It's clearly unhelpful to the financial regulation process when rules seemingly introduced without proper consultation and oversight are challenged, particularly if that challenge is successful.

The issue of a vote influenced largely by self-interest, or groupthink, isn't a good basis for effective regulation. If turkeys were given a vote on the abolition of Thanksgiving or Christmas, I think we could confidently predict a decent majority in favour. The problem in the PL is that some turkeys (Villa, Everton, Newcastle) did vote in favour of keeping Thanksgiving and Xmas, and when they've about to be stuck in the oven, have realised their mistake.

He also said something else interesting on the subject of financial regulation, talking about the introduction of the new player cost rules: "I think it makes sense. Everyone is asking to have things more real-time rather than sanctions based on a previous season. No one is a fan of points deductions as well — they can still happen, but with the real-time nature of what the new rules will look like, I think the fans will understand it better and it is better for the Premier League as a whole."

I've said for a while that looking at the bottom line three years ago is sod-all use.

I don't see anything desperately wrong or overtly critical of us in what Bloom said. It's clearly unhelpful to the financial regulation process when rules seemingly introduced without proper consultation and oversight are challenged, particularly if that challenge is successful.

The issue of a vote influenced largely by self-interest, or groupthink, isn't a good basis for effective regulation. If turkeys were given a vote on the abolition of Thanksgiving or Christmas, I think we could confidently predict a decent majority in favour. The problem in the PL is that some turkeys (Villa, Everton, Newcastle) did vote in favour of keeping Thanksgiving and Xmas, and when they've about to be stuck in the oven, have realised their mistake.

He also said something else interesting on the subject of financial regulation, talking about the introduction of the new player cost rules: "I think it makes sense. Everyone is asking to have things more real-time rather than sanctions based on a previous season. No one is a fan of points deductions as well — they can still happen, but with the real-time nature of what the new rules will look like, I think the fans will understand it better and it is better for the Premier League as a whole."

I've said for a while that looking at the bottom line three years ago is sod-all use.

The major issue with the PL seems to be a complete absence of leadership. Masters is a ‘patsy’ blindly following instructions from the cartel who appointed him without any consideration of the wider implication's for the draconian rules they are imposing. The PL has descended into a shitshow from the moment Masters was appointed. Makes you think Scudamore must have done a pretty good job fending off the red shirts during his tenure.

Firstly.

I didn't know Bloom had spent all that money this Summer. Fair play to him for reinvesting in the team.

But if Bloom and Brighton keep on selling their best players, the club and the team will never jump to the next level. Brighton will always be a well run farming club, finding players other clubs miss, and then selling them on to clubs like Chelsea who are prepared to pay silly money for those players.

There's also no guarantee Bloom and Brighton will continue finding these players/hidden gems. Brighton have done really well in doing that over the last few seasons, but it's a tuff ask to keep on doing that season after season.

Given the choice I'm sure the vast majority of Brighton fans would rather see Brighton keep their best players and make a genuine and sustained push for European football on a regular basis.

If I remember correctly, Southampton had a similar setup a few years, but were raided by Liverpool and other PL clubs.

I do accept you can't convince a player to stay if a much bigger club comes in for him. It's human nature to want to play for a bigger club, to play at the top level, to play in Europe, and to win trophies and titles.

You make some good points but Brighton and Brentford have a different model to all the other clubs you mention. It’s worth reading up on Bloom and Benham who, by the way, used to work together but are now mortal enemies.

They sell good players and buy better ones. If they didn’t they would stagnate and they do it better than anyone else using the best analytics teams in football. That’s how they made their billions. They have a better chance of getting relegated than finishing top four if they didn’t improve their players or moved away from the model that has got them in the PL in the first place.

Last edited:
I genuinely thought they’d want this sorted before having to move on to the 115 bollocks. But it really seems like that isn’t going to happen!

I’m still convinced that the less we hear the better the news for us is and in our infinite patience and kindness we’re allowing them time to get their shit together. Whereas if we’d lost it’d be all over the news immediately, like that time we found out they were charging us through the media and not via contact before hand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.