City launch MLS Franchise

Project said:
How does the sponsorship/merchandise situation work in MLS? Could we theoretically do a deal with say, Etihad that covers both clubs? Or if we were pitching to say, Durex as the official rubber supplier of Manchester City, can we extend the reach of that sponsorship by applying it to both? Could = greater revenue. Given the Sheikh has put in 100m just to get the franchise, let alone talk of a stadium, they will have done their homework.

Sponsorship's are negotiated by the individual clubs, but the revenue is shared league-wide. I'd have to look up what the revenue split is, but memory tells me its a 51/49 split in favour of the league.

So, yes, MCFC could sell sponsorship as a joint Manchester/NYC deal (which would be appealing to sponsors, I would think), but the revenue would have to be split somehow to allow MLS itself to obtain its cut of the deal.

If you're into such things, the business side of this is going to be fascinating.

Bballer7389 said:
taconinja said:
Bluemoonbaldboy said:
Spookily New York City's rivals the Red Bulls don't play in New York.....but play in New Jersey!
It's in Newark, right? The New Jersey thing can be a bit of a red herring as much of New York City is in New Jersey.

Yeah, it's weird.
They play in Harrison, NJ you need to take the PATH to get there.
The City is ours,
The City is ours,
Fuck off back to Harrison,
The City is ours

Falastur said:
NYCFC buys noone. MLS owns all the players in the MLS, just like other American sports, and they would veto these deals.

I'm here to be educated as I have had little in depth interest in the MLS set up previously so bear with me, how can the likes of Henry or Beckham guarantee to end up at certain clubs if they are MLS owned ?

Tricky_Trev said:
Bballer7389 said:
taconinja said:
It's in Newark, right? The New Jersey thing can be a bit of a red herring as much of New York City is in New Jersey.

Yeah, it's weird.
They play in Harrison, NJ you need to take the PATH to get there.
The City is ours,
The City is ours,
Fuck off back to Harrison,
The City is ours

I Like it. Now I will see what its like to support a brand new club, not one established before my time. Too bad I will be out of NY when they start playing :(

grunge said:
Falastur said:
TCIB said:
The cynic in me may also feel the chance to shit on ffp has just opened up :D

I'm 99% sure that that will not be the case, for reasons stated many times in other threads. There just isn't the potential to earn money off this aside from by being linked to the club, and no, selling expensive players to NYCFC and then loaning/selling them to City for free will not work.

I dont think something like that would work, but the fact that this is partially owned by Man City then any profits will assist us in FFPR.

Im not sure how much though right now as I cant find the FFPR Doc to read up on the related profits stuff.

If there is a way to stop the implementation of FFPR dead in it's tracks it will be by a U.S. state court (New York) now establishing personal jurisdiction over UEFA upon plaintiff's bringing a cause of action against UEFA in New York...if there is a cause of action...and I am sure one can be found...

Nixon_The_Bike_Thief said:
Falastur said:
NYCFC buys noone. MLS owns all the players in the MLS, just like other American sports, and they would veto these deals.

I'm here to be educated as I have had little in depth interest in the MLS set up previously so bear with me, how can the likes of Henry or Beckham guarantee to end up at certain clubs if they are MLS owned ?
The clubs can have three or more exceptions is my understanding. Also it appears that MLS club owners have a trick of buying small South American clubs and paying players from that account and the MLS account getting around the pay limits.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.